Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Stuck in Austin TX with leaky GYM - Options?

Well, here we are in Austin TX with a leaky Goodyear Marathon tire.

TT is a 2016 27' FC FB bought in Dec from Colonial. We have about 3,100 miles towing so far and till yesterday had no tire issues. Yesterday morning in Lomgview TX leaving camp my TST 507 TPMS alarmed for the left rear at 54 psi. All three others were 65 psi. I aired up that tire to 65 and we drove to Austin. During the trip the tires heated to approx 72 psi 82 deg and ended there, except the left rear which ended at 68.

This morning left rear is 57 psi. I cannot visibly see a nail or defect in the tread or rim. We are going to discuss options with both Coach Net as well as the local Airstream dealer in Buda TX (30 miles).

Looks like options I have are:

- Keep airing tire up daily. I am worried this leak will get worse.

- Go get a can of Fix A Flat and attempt to seal the leak. This Might work more short term, but not sure this is a permanent fix.

- Put the spare on and get the original left rear's leak addressed. This is ok but I still have the suspect GYM.

- Take more time in Austin and get a set of Michelin P235/75R15 LTX M/S2 15" tires installed. Obviously this is my preferred magic wand solution, but we have yet to see what logistical tire fitter support is available in the Austin TX area.

We have one night left in our current RV Park (Oak Forest) and will be relocating RV parks tomorrow to a TBD park in the Austin area for a longer (5-7 day) stay.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Take it to a Discount Tire dealer in Austin area. Have the tire fixed and don't make a big deal out of it. SXSW party is still going on in Austin... enjoy the stay.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Logistical tire fitter support. Now that's a new one on me.
You do not need to go to an A$ dealer for a tire problem.
Austin is a large city. There are plenty of options.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Austin , Texas
I have purchased Michelins from the Sears store at Barton Creek Mall. It is on a major highway and has a huge parking lot. Give them a call today and they can have most any tire in stock for you by early morning the next day. You could tow your trailer there or just remove your wheel and drive it over. It shouldn't take them more than half an hour to swap out for you. Take I-35 South and exit Ben White/71/290 West. It circles west and then north after a couple of miles. Exit onto 360/Capital of Texas Highway. The mall is just a couple of miles north and immediately after the intersection of MoPac/Loop 1.

Yes, all streets in Austin have 2 or 3 or 4 names. Some have no names. And there are no loops. Good luck with the SXSW traffic this week. Avoid downtown if you can.
Austin512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Take it to a Discount Tire dealer in Austin area. Have the tire fixed and don't make a big deal out of it. SXSW party is still going on in Austin... enjoy the stay.

+1

Also, if you want to get a bit away from the SXSW crowds, try:

http://www.riverwayrvpark.com/

just outside of Llano - about an hour or so west of Austin

Or, the State Park in Blanco

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/blanco

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
While considering options, I decided to soap the tire to see what might happen.

Discovered a nail or staple stuck into the sidewall near the edge of the tread.

I called Coach Net and arranged to have the spare fitted. Then we'll take the tire and see if we can get it fixed/repaired, then drive on with the trip.

If it can't be repaired, I will likely just get them all replaced with Michelins but at a later date.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A sidewall puncture cannot be repaired.
Are you up for a 16" wheel and LT tire upgrade?
Will be worth more than the price in peace of mind-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Lovin' the Mountains

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
A sidewall puncture cannot be repaired.
Are you up for a 16" wheel and LT tire upgrade?
Will be worth more than the price in peace of mind-
Why are 16" wheels preferable to 15" wheels?
tomsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Doubtful the sidewall can be repaired.

So few miles, I'd leave the (GYM) spare on the ground, get the "new" spare you want, then eventually replace the 4 on the ground with what you want.

Enjoy Austin!
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tires

We had two much more obvious road hazards on our last trip down I-95 and used many of the suggestions above. Since the tire can't be fixed your task is now to find a replacement tire mounted quickly for a good price. We found the GYM at WalMart - twice! - took the tire and wheel to the tire center there and had the new tire mounted (did I mention twice?). If you don't have a good way to jack the trailer and change the tire you now have a more complicated problem but you can work it our. For later look into a Trailer Aid or something similar.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsos View Post
Why are 16" wheels preferable to 15" wheels?
The reason is the fact that I assume that if one is trying to use an LT replacement rather than ST. The caution in going with 15" LT tires is finding one that truly has the weight capacity to stay within the same cargo carrying capacities that your ST tires have. My Michelin 16" LT's can meet those requirements.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco View Post
Doubtful the sidewall can be repaired.

So few miles, I'd leave the (GYM) spare on the ground, get the "new" spare you want, then eventually replace the 4 on the ground with what you want.

Enjoy Austin!

That is my thought also.

I'm getting a quote at a local (3 mile) Southern Tire Mart for 4 Michelin 15" tires in parallel. Thinking they could have them in stock or overnighted, and get them thrown on the trailer tomorrow. I'd just keep the GYM spare on the steel wheel.

Yeah, we are finding Austin RV parks very full. Both the Rodeo and SXSW are ongoing. We were not planning for Austin this week, but because of the closure of I10 at the LA/TX border due to flooding, found ourselves in the area (we are headed to Galveston).
Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Highly recommend Lamb's on So. Lamar. Fixed a tire (GYM) on my Sport last fall. I live just blocks from there but I'm at the AS mothership in Jackson Center watching my Pendleton being built!
If it is close to the tread there's a slight possibility that it can be repaired. I like Slime better than Fix A Flat- Nice Selection at Pep Boys just down the street from Lamb's, behind Pluckers Wing Bar (good food, usually). 16" Michelin's are LT, light truck and far more dependable and durable than "trailer" tires. Love the guys at Discount for auto/truck tires... Do not use NTB... they're crooks. Good travels. If you stay a few days I'm back on Saturday; would love to help.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Make sure the tire dealer knows how to jack up your Airstream ''''''''
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #15
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
You can pull up in my driveway and we take the tire off for you to get a replacement. I am in North Austin. Send me a pm with your phone number
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks for the offers of help. At this point we're waiting for the local tire service to arrive to just swap out the spare.

Due to the Rodeo, SXSW and our plan changes, RV sites are impossible to find in Austin.

We booked a week in San Antonio starting tomorrow, so we'll either luck into getting the Michelin swap done tomorrow or we will head to SA with the spare and sort it out down there.

Much obliged all. I will post back when everything is wrapped up and we have a final solution in hand.

Rich
Old 03-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
ST trailer tires are notorious for short life span and tread separation.
ST tires are Load Range D.
The idea is to get 8 ply LT truck tires in Load Range E for margin of safety.
LT truck tires in the proper aspect ratio are hard to find in 15" sizes.
Thus the reason for the change to 16" wheels.
Please look at all the tire threads and upgrading to 16" wheels and LT tires threads.
It is the best thing I've done for long life, greater weight carrying capacity, and peace of mind that the tread won't separate, come apart, and damage the wheel wells, underbelly, banana wraps, and sides of my very expensive trailer- the most expensive thing I have ever bought-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
m.hony is right on. The 16" rims add $ but the peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Well, here we are in Austin TX with a leaky Goodyear Marathon tire.

TT is a 2016 27' FC FB bought in Dec from Colonial. We have about 3,100 miles towing so far and till yesterday had no tire issues. Yesterday morning in Lomgview TX leaving camp my TST 507 TPMS alarmed for the left rear at 54 psi. All three others were 65 psi. I aired up that tire to 65 and we drove to Austin. During the trip the tires heated to approx 72 psi 82 deg and ended there, except the left rear which ended at 68.

This morning left rear is 57 psi. I cannot visibly see a nail or defect in the tread or rim. We are going to discuss options with both Coach Net as well as the local Airstream dealer in Buda TX (30 miles).

Looks like options I have are:

- Keep airing tire up daily. I am worried this leak will get worse.

- Go get a can of Fix A Flat and attempt to seal the leak. This Might work more short term, but not sure this is a permanent fix.

- Put the spare on and get the original left rear's leak addressed. This is ok but I still have the suspect GYM.

- Take more time in Austin and get a set of Michelin P235/75R15 LTX M/S2 15" tires installed. Obviously this is my preferred magic wand solution, but we have yet to see what logistical tire fitter support is available in the Austin TX area.

We have one night left in our current RV Park (Oak Forest) and will be relocating RV parks tomorrow to a TBD park in the Austin area for a longer (5-7 day) stay.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Rich
Put the spare on and get the Michelin's asap.
Most dealers don't stock it so get it ordered in. In the meantime enjoy Austin indeed.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I just hope that when is all said and done, your thoughts are positive about your trip in Texas. Glad it is something you picked up on the road and not tire failure.