Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
San Antonio is nice too. We had a great visit there, and hope you have the same. Best of luck with the tire, which sounds like a standard puncture issue and not a GYM-specific problem. No tire is puncture-proof, though I wish they were.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Carlisle now makes a load range E in 15 inch trailer tires. {ST not LT} that I pur. last fall for same price as Carlisle load range D. so not all st are load range D
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Stuck in Austin TX with leaky GYM - Options?

If I could ask the hive one more question, attached is a picture of the nail / brad / staple in the leaky tire, now removed.

I am going to a tire store in SA (we are headed there tomorrow) but do y'all think this is repairable?

I suspect not (and of course secretly hope so; I really want to swap to the Michelins) but would be interested in your thoughts.

Rich.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
A bigger view:

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
San Antonio is nice too. We had a great visit there, and hope you have the same. Best of luck with the tire, which sounds like a standard puncture issue and not a GYM-specific problem. No tire is puncture-proof, though I wish they were.

Yes sir; although disappointing, any tire can get a pick up puncture now and then. It's just with the horror stories you read on the GYMs, I was ready to have the tread carcass separate on me driving away from Colonial RV.

Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed our three day stop in SA in our Class B last summer. We've booked 7 days at Traveller's World, same place we stayed before.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Secretly hope it is not? Sounds like the decision is in your hands. You have been given a gift. Normally, I would say it was fixable. But with all the reports of GYM infant mortality, I just would move on. But it's easy for me to spend your money.

That location is about as far toward the sidewall as one might consider as repairable, so I can understand why you ask. So fix it. Put it in the spare rack. Think about it for a while and enjoy your new Michelins. Oh, you are not going to buy them yet. Your call.

PS - went out to the garage to check exactly where on the tire that nail penetrated. So, hint, hint ..... the trailer is not stored here. We are a bit predisposed to being anti GYM. You should consider that in your decision to buy the Michelins.

Travel safe - Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I'm totally onboard with the tire change out but my preference is Maxxis E rated 10 ply 15" tires.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't get the 16" wheel and tire upgrade through an Airstream dealer-
They are way overpriced-
Get the upgrade via a local tire store or Internet.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thanks for the offers of help. At this point we're waiting for the local tire service to arrive to just swap out the spare.

Due to the Rodeo, SXSW and our plan changes, RV sites are impossible to find in Austin.

We booked a week in San Antonio starting tomorrow, so we'll either luck into getting the Michelin swap done tomorrow or we will head to SA with the spare and sort it out down there.

Much obliged all. I will post back when everything is wrapped up and we have a final solution in hand.

Rich
Hope all works out for you!
I was prepared to get you going. There some new Goodyears on Craigslist right now, just up the road from me, in case you just needed 1. I just swapped out to 16" Sendals with Michelin LTX's and still have a new set of 15" rims and Carlisle load range E's sitting in my garage in case we needed to improvise. Airstream central over here
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Fix tire , use it for the spare and run the spare, you are good to go...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Congratulations on your new AS! I'm sorry to hear that you are having tire problems. I'll make two suggestions one I am qualified to make the second one I'm not but qualified to make I'll explain. I am a relatively new AS owner myself. We have had to stay over in cities on several occasions due to problems. I have decided that you just have to "bake" problems into your trips and not get too upset about them. I know it's easy for me to say but when I look back at our trip problems they no longer seem so bad. Once we had to stay in TN for five days while AS shipped a new window to an AS dealer in Knoxville to be installed. Now for the unqualified advice, please understand that it is nothing more than my fairly inexperienced opinion. We purchased a 2015 28 FC it came with Marathon Tires. When we were negotiating on the trailer I asked the dealer about switching out the 15 inch Marathon Tires for 16 inch Michelin Tires. He owned the dealership and thought that I should go ahead and do it, he owned an AS and had done it on his own trailer. I think that I read about Michelin 16 inch tires on this forum. I have never regretted making the change I drive with nothing but Michelin on my cars so I trust them. I think that if you switch to Michelin that you should switch all four tires vs. mixing them but check that statement out with a tire expert. Obviously if you go to the 16 inch tire you will have to switch all four tires. Now for more qualified advice ..........breath in.......breath out and enjoy the ride. I hope that you enjoy your AS as much as we are enjoying ours.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Yes sir; although disappointing, any tire can get a pick up puncture now and then. It's just with the horror stories you read on the GYMs, I was ready to have the tread carcass separate on me driving away from Colonial RV.

Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed our three day stop in SA in our Class B last summer. We've booked 7 days at Traveller's World, same place we stayed before.

Sounds like you've a great plan for continuing the trip despite the tire issue. Awesome!

FYI, here's our blog post about our stay in San Antonio. We stayed in a different place, also nice for a few days.

http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sa...nio-TX-03-2015

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #33
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
If you go with P rated 15" tires make sure they have the capacity you need. Plenty of threads on this.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Something I've not seen mentioned in your thread that could be helpful is the use of leveling blocks used to drive up onto with the good wheel to get the one needing to be removed off the ground.
First loosen the lug nuts a little, then drive up onto the blocks just till the good wheel is on the blocks then remove the offending wheel. No jacking, very stable and safe.

Peters offer is very legit, he is very knowledgeable of airstreams and wonderfully willing to help.

I very much enjoyed stopping in at his place on my first trip in my new to me 345 motorhome on the way from Fla to Az. Mahalo Peter.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #35
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Just a thought. You might consider adding Centramatics with your new tire upgrade install. It is not clear how the factory balances the brake drums and hubs, but a set of Centros will keep you balanced going forward. You might even drop by and pick up a set while you are in Texas. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 AM   #36
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Something I've not seen mentioned in your thread that could be helpful is the use of leveling blocks used to drive up onto with the good wheel to get the one needing to be removed off the ground.
First loosen the lug nuts a little, then drive up onto the blocks just till the good wheel is on the blocks then remove the offending wheel. No jacking, very stable and safe.

Peters offer is very legit, he is very knowledgeable of airstreams and wonderfully willing to help.

I very much enjoyed stopping in at his place on my first trip in my new to me 345 motorhome on the way from Fla to Az. Mahalo Peter.

Cheers Richard
You are very kind, thank you back to you, Richard. The natives taught you the use of their language well
I even had a set of centramatics for 15/16" trailer wheels laying around. But someone just snatched them up.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Take it to a Discount Tire dealer in Austin area. Have the tire fixed and don't make a big deal out of it. SXSW party is still going on in Austin... enjoy the stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7GenTex View Post
+1

Also, if you want to get a bit away from the SXSW crowds, try:

http://www.riverwayrvpark.com/

just outside of Llano - about an hour or so west of Austin

Or, the State Park in Blanco

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/blanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
Make sure the tire dealer knows how to jack up your Airstream ''''''''
Quote:
A bigger view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Fix tire , use it for the spare and run the spare, you are good to go...
^
Bingo

That is not a sidewall puncture.....get it fixed and Stream-0n.

Bob
Old 03-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What he said.
Patch plug and roll on.
Any tire store can fix it.
Just know that 3 years from DOT date is all you'll get.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #39
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh... if you goop up the inside of your tires, they will ruin the the sensors...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Switch to the 16" Michelin LT tires. I did it on two previous Airstreams and ordered them on this 2015 we have direct from the factory. AS puts them on the Classics and possible some other trailers now as well. Says something to me at least.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote