Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

steel radial vs load range c

buying new tires for our 1979 Soverign rear bath - current tires are
7.00 X15LT. I am beginning to see dry rot and I want to swap them out now. Should I go with load range C or the steel radial tires? I think that is something like a 7.00 X 15XC.
What is the difference between this load range C and the steel radial tires when you compare stability and price? I am using a Reese distribution hitch and still pulling with my 1500 Z71 (I don't like this match up but I still have a full year left on my lease).

My questions are - which tire? Is there a particular ply? What about load range? Are there any other little things I can do while the wheels are off (like steel valve stems)? Any suggestions on brands or stores?

Thanks guys....
Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
The tires most members including myself seem to be happy with are Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15. They are a tad smaller than 700-15 but do the job well. For your Sovereign I would recommend load range D.
Click this LINK for a better understanding of trailer tires.
Note that LT tires are not recommended for use on travel trailers.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

You can get load range C bias or radial ply tires. Bias ply tires are still available (but hard to find) in 7.00 X 15. The radials are 225/75R15. Either way, do get load rated "C" tires.

Some people claim radials squirm more - I don't know, I'm still using bias ply. The trend is definitely toward radials.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Is this ST225/75R15 a radial tire??

From reading some of the older threads on tires, there seems to be some question @ putting radials on the older rims. Will the goodyear marathons be safe on my older, stock wheels ??
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Skip, if your stock rims are split rims, badly rusted or pitted, replace them. Otherwise there is no reason why Goodyear radials won't work.
Cheez, this tire topic has been discussed to death.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
From reading some of the older threads on tires, there seems to be some question @ putting radials on the older rims. Will the goodyear marathons be safe on my older, stock wheels ??
Okay, a quick rundown:
ST= Special Trailer
225=size of tire (metric)
75= aspect ratio-this is a percent of width to height
R= radial
15=rim diameter
There seems to be differing opinions over whether or not to install radials on rims that were not specifically engineered for them. I have radials on my '72, load range C, but that is what came on it new. If your wheels are not intended for radials, there will be a notice stamped on them near the bead, saying something like, "not for use with radial tires" or a similar message.
There also is the potential for a problem installing load range D tires on rims that had load range C tires on them for an extended period. The heavier-duty tires can cause the rim to separate with potentially disastrous results.
If the tires you have on your coach now are D's, this would not apply to you. Anything else you may want to know about tires can be found by doing a forum search on tires. There are extensive threads and posts on the subject.
Terry
Old 05-13-2004, 04:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I agree, this subject has been exhaustively discussed. rRmember though,this is the prime source of information most of us "newbies" come to for help. It is certainly the source of information I trust above all others when it comes to my Streamer. What this thread has given me is a greater understanding of a subject I didn't know a lot about.

Many thanks to all you guys. I am always appreciative of the time and effort everyone puts forth in answering our threads. It is great having people around that have been doing this awhile. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Skip.

Putting the Goodyear Marathons on old wheels is OK.

"BUT," if Load range "C" or 6 ply tires have been used on those wheels for an extended time, then you cannot increase the tire rating to load range "D" or 8 plies.

To do so will cause the wheels to split around the circumference. They will actually blow.

A 31 foot trailer, should have "D" tires. That being the case, you should invest in new properly rated 2600 pound capacity wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote