Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
At perfomanceplustire.com the 02 Sendel wheel, same as Tredit, is $112 each with free shipping. In 16".
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Got our Sendel T02's from Discount Tire. Local dealer matched the Sendel online price with no shipping charge. We have been running Michelin XPS Ribs, 225/75x16, load range E, at 80 psi, since the first of the year; and we have about 4-5,000 miles on them.

We have had absolutely no problems with these wheels and tires, and are very satisfied with them.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This year we put 12k miles on the 16" wheels and Michelin's we bought from JC. Ran them at 78-80 psi. No problems, very little topping off of air pressure needed over the three month trip, and no noticeable wear. The mileage included the Alaska Highway, which isn't easy on a tire.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quick question; if I change to a 16" tire; how "easy" is goign to be to load a new size spare? Given that I have a single axle.

Thanks.

Ed
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We changed to 16" Michelin LTX tires a couple of years ago and are very happy with them. We now have something like 24,000 miles on them and they are wearing much better than the Marathons did. I have been running 68 lbs. in them, but have increased it to 72 as the edges were wearing slightly faster than the centers. The Marathons lost air despite changing valve stems. The Michelins do not lose air.

Gene
So what can I expect a set of 16 inch LT tires and wheels to set me back?
We will be due for new tires next season most likely and I probably should be planning for this....

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
We will be due for new tires next season most likely and I probably should be planning for this....

Sandy
all said and done, about $1300 - $1350

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleighj View Post
Quick question; if I change to a 16" tire; how "easy" is goign to be to load a new size spare? Given that I have a single axle.

Thanks.

Ed
I'll ask this question again. Since AS says it's OK to run to the next tire store on 3 tires (the flat just removed). Then why isn't it ok to use your old 15" wheel and tire as an emergency "toy" tire to run to the next tire store?

Edit: Sorry, saw the single axle thing after typing. But still, I think a 15" spare as a temporary spare is OK as well on a single axle rig.

Been done on cars for how many years (decades) now?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Price for tires and wheels is going to be determined by how many you buy and where you buy them. I have found Discount Tires usually has as low a price as anyone or will match a lower price. Their prices are different in different localities. It doesn't take all that long to look up prices on the internet from several sources, compare them and then use the phone. When I made a deal with Airstream to switch wheels, they would only provide Goodyear Wranglers at that time, so I called Discount in Grand Junction and they arranged for tires to be waiting for me in Dayton, a short day trip from Jackson Center. I picked up the tires at their store in Dayton, dropped them off at the JC Service Center and they mounted them.

I paid $75 for each wheel, but they were discounted, though I expect if you look, you can find them cheaper somewhere. Discount Direct quotes Michelin LTX 225/75/16 LRE at $220 each (I think I paid less, but that was several years ago). Prices will differ at their stores. Add in mounting, balancing, tax, tire trash fee, and $1,100 to $1,200 for 5 sounds about right for tires. Marathons cost less—maybe $110-120 each—but don't last long. If you have to buy 2 sets of Marathons and go the same miles as one set of Michelins, you have saved one round of mounting and balancing costs plus time. You also spend less time driving on worn tires.

If you want to buy ST tires, they are probably most discounted now through winter. LT tires probably not as much.

As for driving on a donut or a 15" tire when the rest are 16"—this is not objective: it doesn't feel right. With a 15" and a 16" next to each other on one side, will the 15" touch the ground? If it does, will it carry any weight? I've never driven on a donut, so I don't know how that feels. With a flat in Alaska and a garage close to 100 miles away, I fixed a tire myself to avoid using the Tundra's slightly smaller spare.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Price for tires and wheels is going to be determined by how many you buy and where you buy them. I have found Discount Tires usually has as low a price as anyone or will match a lower price. Their prices are different in different localities. It doesn't take all that long to look up prices on the internet from several sources, compare them and then use the phone. When I made a deal with Airstream to switch wheels, they would only provide Goodyear Wranglers at that time, so I called Discount in Grand Junction and they arranged for tires to be waiting for me in Dayton, a short day trip from Jackson Center. I picked up the tires at their store in Dayton, dropped them off at the JC Service Center and they mounted them.

I paid $75 for each wheel, but they were discounted, though I expect if you look, you can find them cheaper somewhere. Discount Direct quotes Michelin LTX 225/75/16 LRE at $220 each (I think I paid less, but that was several years ago). Prices will differ at their stores. Add in mounting, balancing, tax, tire trash fee, and $1,100 to $1,200 for 5 sounds about right for tires. Marathons cost less—maybe $110-120 each—but don't last long. If you have to buy 2 sets of Marathons and go the same miles as one set of Michelins, you have saved one round of mounting and balancing costs plus time. You also spend less time driving on worn tires.

If you want to buy ST tires, they are probably most discounted now through winter. LT tires probably not as much.

As for driving on a donut or a 15" tire when the rest are 16"—this is not objective: it doesn't feel right. With a 15" and a 16" next to each other on one side, will the 15" touch the ground? If it does, will it carry any weight? I've never driven on a donut, so I don't know how that feels. With a flat in Alaska and a garage close to 100 miles away, I fixed a tire myself to avoid using the Tundra's slightly smaller spare.

Gene
Gene, There is only 1/2 " difference between the radius (hub to ground) between the two sizes. My axles better drop well more than that, or I have bigger issues to deal with. Yes, the 15" would bear a significant amount of weight, albeit less than it's mate on the same side of the trailer....but it would most certainly take much of the load that it's mate would have if running down the road without a spare on at all, as AS says you can do.

Don't know what it would feel like, I suspect you really wouldn't feel it. Cars with a "toy" feel a little funny and harsh, suspension wise.

Obviously if I were going to run long distances on remote roads, like the Dalton, or AlCan, my position on spare would be different.

I think it is fine to use a 15" as a spare with 3 other 16" on the ground.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
If the JC Service Center does the 16" tire installation, do they balance the tires before mounting them?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
If the JC Service Center does the 16" tire installation, do they balance the tires before mounting them?
Dunno, someone on another post said they do not have balancing equipment. You could call them, or just get them balanced elsewhere.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I seem to recall seeing weights on them, all on the inside of the wheel. Seems like they should be on each side though I suppose every once in a while, they could be all on one side or the other. Since we have Centramatics, it never seemed to be a big deal and the tires have worn evenly across the edges of the tread. More on one edge or the other would indicate an unbalanced tire.

Unless Airstream will cut you a deal—and mine was very unusual—I'm sure you can get wheels and tires cheaper elsewhere.

dzn', I understand what you are saying about using one 15" wheel, but I'd rather not do it. I think it rates better than 3 wheels and less than 4 same sized ones—how close to a bad (or good) idea, I don't know. I know it is only half an inch of difference, but my guess is that the 15" wheel won;t support much weight at all. I always have a tire repair kit and a compressor, so in an emergency, I can fix the flat. If the bearings fail, as happened to us, then you have to go naked on one wheel.

Gene
Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our 19-foot Bambi has only one axle, so originally purchased only two 16-inch wheels, and kept the newest 15-inch ST tire as a spare. I wouldn't want to go very far on mismatched wheels and tires, but I'm sure that combination would be OK for a couple of hundred miles to the next big-city tire store.

After a month or two, I purchased a third 16-inch wheel for when the two 16-inch tires are replaced in 6-7 years. I plan to put one of the used XPS Ribs on the third 16-inch wheel at that time, and use it for the spare. I bought the third 16-inch wheel now, so the three wheels would match; since that model wheel may no longer be in production in 6-7 years.

Now, the only tire worry I have is whether the 15-inch ST tire will explode in the spare rack, since I have read of some ST tires blowing out while parked. I don't even want to think about what damage this would do to our Bambi, since the spare is right under the dining table and within a foot or two of the batteries and the propane line. I am thinking about reducing the air pressure in the spare to 24-32 psi, since it has to be deflated to be installed, anyway.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I requested stick on weights at my tire store. I know sometimes they come off, but living in the rust belt, I have had so many wheels corrode under the clamp on ones. I run centramatics as well, so not terribly critical on the inner outer thing either.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Our 19-foot Bambi has only one axle, so originally purchased only two 16-inch wheels, and kept the newest 15-inch ST tire as a spare. I wouldn't want to go very far on mismatched wheels and tires, but I'm sure that combination would be OK for a couple of hundred miles to the next big-city tire store.

After a month or two, I purchased a third 16-inch wheel for when the two 16-inch tires are replaced in 6-7 years. I plan to put one of the used XPS Ribs on the third 16-inch wheel at that time, and use it for the spare. I bought the third 16-inch wheel now, so the three wheels would match; since that model wheel may no longer be in production in 6-7 years.

Now, the only tire worry I have is whether the 15-inch ST tire will explode in the spare rack, since I have read of some ST tires blowing out while parked. I don't even want to think about what damage this would do to our Bambi, since the spare is right under the dining table and within a foot or two of the batteries and the propane line. I am thinking about reducing the air pressure in the spare to 24-32 psi, since it has to be deflated to be installed, anyway.
I agree, and that was my plan as well. I found a steel 16" for $49 online and will use one of the LTX MS as a spare when taken out of service.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleighj View Post

Thanks.

Ed
When we replaced our OEM 15's with the 16's, the new spare tire and wheel fit in the OEM spare tire carrier just fine without ant modification.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
When we replaced our OEM 15's with the 16's, the new spare tire and wheel fit in the OEM spare tire carrier just fine without ant modification.

Brian
Different models or years have different sized tire carriers. Our had to have the sides bent out, not by an ant, but by a human.

Gene
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #78

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

Sandy
We got Lucy a set of the 16" wheels with the Michelins at Jackson Center in November of 2010. the total cost, mounted and installed, was $1,644.75 or $328.95 each for the set of five. The spare wheel matches the others.

We now have a little over 20,000 miles on Lucy's new tires. They show almost no wear, and hold air pressure very well. I run them at 72 psi. Lucy weighs 7400# ready to camp. On these new wheels, I can actually check the tire pressure. Lucy's OEM wheel were a terrible design that made it very difficult to check the pressure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I will add that a tire depth gauge is a good investment. I check each tire between each set of tread blocks (or whatever they are called) twice on each tire periodically.

I can tell if they are out of balance and whether there is too much or too little air pressure. You can't tell these things by eyeballing them until the wear has gone too far.

On all vehicles this tells me when it is time to rotate tires. On vehicles with drive wheels (drive wheels wear faster) this tells me where to move tires to and means I don't blindly follow the recommendations in owner's manuals. The result is that I don't have to rotate all tires and I do it when necessary, not at a predetermined mileage.

The trailer does not have drive wheels, so tires are likely wear pretty evenly, but there will be some differences and then I rotate the spare into the mix to get full use of it.

Gene
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There appear to be numerous people responding to this thread that have already made the switch to 16-inch wheels and LT tires. Has anyone that switched had a flat or tire failure with these? Also, are there any problems that may be caused by the new wheels or tires?

I don't mean to hijack this thread; we can start a new topic if the responses get too far off from the original post.