Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
If the JC Service Center does the 16" tire installation, do they balance the tires before mounting them?
Dunno, someone on another post said they do not have balancing equipment. You could call them, or just get them balanced elsewhere.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
If the JC Service Center does the 16" tire installation, do they balance the tires before mounting them?
I seem to recall seeing weights on them, all on the inside of the wheel. Seems like they should be on each side though I suppose every once in a while, they could be all on one side or the other. Since we have Centramatics, it never seemed to be a big deal and the tires have worn evenly across the edges of the tread. More on one edge or the other would indicate an unbalanced tire.

Unless Airstream will cut you a deal—and mine was very unusual—I'm sure you can get wheels and tires cheaper elsewhere.

dzn', I understand what you are saying about using one 15" wheel, but I'd rather not do it. I think it rates better than 3 wheels and less than 4 same sized ones—how close to a bad (or good) idea, I don't know. I know it is only half an inch of difference, but my guess is that the 15" wheel won;t support much weight at all. I always have a tire repair kit and a compressor, so in an emergency, I can fix the flat. If the bearings fail, as happened to us, then you have to go naked on one wheel.

Gene

Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our 19-foot Bambi has only one axle, so originally purchased only two 16-inch wheels, and kept the newest 15-inch ST tire as a spare. I wouldn't want to go very far on mismatched wheels and tires, but I'm sure that combination would be OK for a couple of hundred miles to the next big-city tire store.

After a month or two, I purchased a third 16-inch wheel for when the two 16-inch tires are replaced in 6-7 years. I plan to put one of the used XPS Ribs on the third 16-inch wheel at that time, and use it for the spare. I bought the third 16-inch wheel now, so the three wheels would match; since that model wheel may no longer be in production in 6-7 years.

Now, the only tire worry I have is whether the 15-inch ST tire will explode in the spare rack, since I have read of some ST tires blowing out while parked. I don't even want to think about what damage this would do to our Bambi, since the spare is right under the dining table and within a foot or two of the batteries and the propane line. I am thinking about reducing the air pressure in the spare to 24-32 psi, since it has to be deflated to be installed, anyway.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I requested stick on weights at my tire store. I know sometimes they come off, but living in the rust belt, I have had so many wheels corrode under the clamp on ones. I run centramatics as well, so not terribly critical on the inner outer thing either.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Our 19-foot Bambi has only one axle, so originally purchased only two 16-inch wheels, and kept the newest 15-inch ST tire as a spare. I wouldn't want to go very far on mismatched wheels and tires, but I'm sure that combination would be OK for a couple of hundred miles to the next big-city tire store.

After a month or two, I purchased a third 16-inch wheel for when the two 16-inch tires are replaced in 6-7 years. I plan to put one of the used XPS Ribs on the third 16-inch wheel at that time, and use it for the spare. I bought the third 16-inch wheel now, so the three wheels would match; since that model wheel may no longer be in production in 6-7 years.

Now, the only tire worry I have is whether the 15-inch ST tire will explode in the spare rack, since I have read of some ST tires blowing out while parked. I don't even want to think about what damage this would do to our Bambi, since the spare is right under the dining table and within a foot or two of the batteries and the propane line. I am thinking about reducing the air pressure in the spare to 24-32 psi, since it has to be deflated to be installed, anyway.
I agree, and that was my plan as well. I found a steel 16" for $49 online and will use one of the LTX MS as a spare when taken out of service.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleighj View Post
Quick question; if I change to a 16" tire; how "easy" is goign to be to load a new size spare? Given that I have a single axle.

Thanks.

Ed
When we replaced our OEM 15's with the 16's, the new spare tire and wheel fit in the OEM spare tire carrier just fine without ant modification.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
When we replaced our OEM 15's with the 16's, the new spare tire and wheel fit in the OEM spare tire carrier just fine without ant modification.

Brian
Different models or years have different sized tire carriers. Our had to have the sides bent out, not by an ant, but by a human.

Gene
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #78

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
So what can I expect a set of 16 inch LT tires and wheels to set me back?
We will be due for new tires next season most likely and I probably should be planning for this....

Sandy
We got Lucy a set of the 16" wheels with the Michelins at Jackson Center in November of 2010. the total cost, mounted and installed, was $1,644.75 or $328.95 each for the set of five. The spare wheel matches the others.

We now have a little over 20,000 miles on Lucy's new tires. They show almost no wear, and hold air pressure very well. I run them at 72 psi. Lucy weighs 7400# ready to camp. On these new wheels, I can actually check the tire pressure. Lucy's OEM wheel were a terrible design that made it very difficult to check the pressure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I will add that a tire depth gauge is a good investment. I check each tire between each set of tread blocks (or whatever they are called) twice on each tire periodically.

I can tell if they are out of balance and whether there is too much or too little air pressure. You can't tell these things by eyeballing them until the wear has gone too far.

On all vehicles this tells me when it is time to rotate tires. On vehicles with drive wheels (drive wheels wear faster) this tells me where to move tires to and means I don't blindly follow the recommendations in owner's manuals. The result is that I don't have to rotate all tires and I do it when necessary, not at a predetermined mileage.

The trailer does not have drive wheels, so tires are likely wear pretty evenly, but there will be some differences and then I rotate the spare into the mix to get full use of it.

Gene
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There appear to be numerous people responding to this thread that have already made the switch to 16-inch wheels and LT tires. Has anyone that switched had a flat or tire failure with these? Also, are there any problems that may be caused by the new wheels or tires?

I don't mean to hijack this thread; we can start a new topic if the responses get too far off from the original post.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
I had mine shipped to me from JC. They came balanced.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Loomis , California
Old Argosy

I've got 4 - Cooper Road Master 7.00-15LT tires on our 1976 24' Argosy. Anybody know anything about these tires?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Loomis , California
Old Argosy

I see that they have a max load limit each of 1,720lbs. Should be OK for our uses. I just don't know how old they are . . . We've owned "The Goose" for a year & are living in her full time. And, I might add, loving it!

Phil & Judith Meyer
Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
The original post asked st or lt.....I am experimenting with my box trailer. I purchased a set of four Maxxis M8008's in San Antonio's Peterson Tire Warehouse. I found that buying from the warehouse saved me some money. Gary Peterson was a great help.

These are ST tires, since my box trailer will only go 14" wheels. I will post any failures, flats, etc. maybe others can do the same for other brands and sizes.

Wish me luck