Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Top on tire circumference; Thus the disclaimer that I didn't know the tire diameters. By using the rim size I was just trying to show the significance in the rotation speed differential. The point is that the greater the circumference, the fewer rotations per mile which results in less tire wear and lower temperatures if the tires are properly balance and have the correct air pressure for the load.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
LT not made with a rating above C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
HowieE[/LEFT];980819]Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since LT tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use LT tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C, made in ever fewer sizes, and now almost all that are still made are made in China.

Just send your NC representative a copy of the thread on Marathon failures and ask him if he would use them with his family.

I have used Michelin
LTs
load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only LT tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

Not sure where you are getting your data>
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure B 4 B 35 psi (240
kPa
)*** C 6 C 50 psi (350
kPa
)*** D 8 D 65 psi (450
kPa
)*** E 10 E 80 psi (550
kPa
)*** F 12 F 95 psi (650
kPa
)***
Also later in this post there was talk about tire
circumference
. I went from a 265 75R16 to a 285R16 and I gained about 3 mph the strange thing is
according
to my GPS/ Radar GPS and I even checked it with GPS on Microsoft Maps it was a correct speedometer reading with the oversize tires.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)*** C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)*** D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)*** E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)*** F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since LT tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use LT tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C, made in ever fewer sizes, and now almost all that are still made are made in China.

Just send your NC representative a copy of the thread on Marathon failures and ask him if he would use them with his family.

I have used Michelin LTs load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only LT tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

My dyslexia has to be corrected here. The corrections are in Red

Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since ST tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use ST tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C, made in ever fewer sizes, and now almost all that are still made are made in China.

I have used Michelin LTs load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only ST tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "I appologize if I offended anyone" -- me, too.

But this is a good topic to expose to the light of day so no apologies are needed, IMHO.

Besides, some folks have learned new TLA's!! ;-)

It is also an opportunity to take note of the problem of statistical sampling as in the post about "ST tire failures" and "cheap, unreliable ST tire" and so on.

ST tires are not made for a cushy ride, they are made for tires that sit a lot, don't steer or drive, need good sidewall stiffness, and can handle the sideways forces often found in travel trailer tire movement.

Tire failure is most often due to under-inflation. If someone is having trouble with their ST tires on their trailer, they need to look at the tire loading, inflation pressures, and other such things.

But it is a lot easier and more comforting to the ego to just lambaste those evil corporations make cheap junk that they foist off on an unsuspecting buyer than it is to take responsibility for one's problems.

There are an awful lot of trailer tires out there. Not everyone has trouble with ST tires on their trailer. Manufacturers usually provide ST tires on the trailers they sell. I can understand the feelings some may have when they encounter defective parts or suffer unusual failures but I do think the message is not that the tire type is 'cheap junk' or whatever but rather that the fundamental problem lies in the difference between what those experiencing problems are doing and the others.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
Wow! I guess Out-of-doors mart in Colfax, NC is going to be breaking the law by selling the new 2012 Eddie Bauer 25'. The trailer comes from the mothership with 16" Michelin LTX tires.

Bye,

Paul
I looked at the new Eddie Bauer trailer on the lot, and not only does it have LT 225/75R16E tires on it, nowhere does it say " not for sale or use in North Carolina."
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Still searching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I looked at the new Eddie Bauer trailer on the lot, and not only does it have LT 225/75R16E tires on it, nowhere does it say " not for sale or use in North Carolina."
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the help on the window seals! I have repaired most of them now, the material you suggested worked great.

All,
I'm still (more than 4 hours now) researching what I said about the NC regulations. I have even done a query to NCDOT. Since I am having difficulty locating this info in the general statutes, I am starting to think this regulation may have been repealed or revised. When I find out I will post the results.

I hope I do not have to get my big foot out of my mouth!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is it true that the GYM's are once again being made in the US? Or is that just some change that lets them label them that way?

I do hope the OP is wrong about the NC law. I have seriously violated it if he is not. And I am unrepentant about it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the help on the window seals! I have repaired most of them now, the material you suggested worked great.

All,
I'm still (more than 4 hours now) researching what I said about the NC regulations. I have even done a query to NCDOT. Since I am having difficulty locating this info in the general statutes, I am starting to think this regulation may have been repealed or revised. When I find out I will post the results.

I hope I do not have to get my big foot out of my mouth!
I'm glad the 3/8" D gasket worked like we hoped.

I inserted my foot on another forum when I made a statement based on outdated regulations. The laws can change almost daily. I have a very old book floating around somewhere that shows all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards--for 1976... In that year it was mandated all tractor- trailers would have ABS. That's just one thing that never happened or was repealed later, with any luck the ST regulation is anither one locally, or at lwast is one of those unenforced "blue laws".
Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Right On Brian -- Bumpers for our boat Dock -- Good Idea --
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I have the answer

I have the answer. I talked to an enforcement officer from NCDOT just now. He told me the law in NC has been changed regarding trailer tires, apparently years ago. The verbiage in the General Statutes was revised. The tire type designation or weight carrying capacity is no longer stated there (except reference to Federal regs). For tires on privately owned trailers under 10,000 lbs GVRW, the laws of NC require only minimum tread depth and prohibit using tires with certain types of damage. Other than that you can do what you like.

OK, I admit I was wrong. (big foot in mouth removed)
I withdraw my statement, exit with my tail between my legs like a scolded dog, eat my hat, and move on with my head bowed in humility!

But, glad I am somewhat more educated!
Thanks, to you who set me straight!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

Besides, some folks have learned new TLA's!! ;-)
Tunisian Liberation Army? Tibetan Language Association? Truly Laborious Accessories?

Holy FUD! I'll have to check with a LEO to see if posting such abbreviations is legal.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
From what I have read, ST tires are "LOAD" rated at 65mph. Only passenger tires have a speed rating. I believe there is a chart that tells you what pressure you need and the decreased "safe" load rating if you are towing at speeds above 65mph. Increased speed=decreased load capacity.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use ST tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C,

Howie,

I don't thing that this is quite right.

My Classic 30 came with "D" rated GYM ST tires and I have just replaced them to Towmax "E" rated ST tires that I bought at Jackson Centre.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
It is speed rating that is the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
From what I have read, ST tires are "LOAD" rated at 65mph. Only passenger tires have a speed rating. I believe there is a chart that tells you what pressure you need and the decreased "safe" load rating if you are towing at speeds above 65mph. Increased speed=decreased load capacity.
Take a look at the attached weblink, http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf
There is in inflation chart. It definitely says "MAX SPEED RATING". This speed rating is the same on every ST trailer tire regardless of air pressure or load rating. From every manufacturer's load chart that I have looked at, this is true, for every ST type tire. The tires' load capacity changes as air pressure is varied, not speed rating.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I find it interesting that an ST tire will always be rated to carry more weight than even an LT tire of the same size and weight range (C,D, etc).

Don't know, but it seems to me the tire manufacturers get the added weight capacity in an ST tire by limiting the speed to 65 MPH. Again, don't know, it's just a theory of mine.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #37
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
S Goodyear does on its website say what pressure to use if you have their tires and want to go 75.

Gene
I've seen it somewhere. I'm sure 2Air posted a link about it here...

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I've seen it, and it is 75 Lbs in a "D" ST tire.

That tells me they are concerned about the heat.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #39
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I routinely tow through a stretch of desert that can hit 115+ degrees during the summer. My P rated tires on my 1/2 ton truck were like marshmallows in the heat compared to winter months. Switch to LT rated tires made a big difference. I wonder what the effective load/speed rating of these ST's are when it's that hot?
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I routinely tow through a stretch of desert that can hit 115+ degrees during the summer. My P rated tires on my 1/2 ton truck were like marshmallows in the heat compared to winter months. Switch to LT rated tires made a big difference. I wonder what the effective load/speed rating of these ST's are when it's that hot?
I think they become "MayPops".