Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I put on a set of Towmax E rated ST's a few weeks ago. I wish I had known then that the LT's were ok to use, I would have changed. Guess I've got 5 or 6 years to think about it now.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
5 or 6 years would be a great run. I would kill to get 5 or 6 years out of trailer tires. 7 tread separations in 6 1/2 years. Good luck with the Towmax E's.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Caution when increasing PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I've seen it somewhere. I'm sure 2Air posted a link about it here...
It took some searching, but I finally found the document you spoke of, re the ST Goodyear Marathon Tires rated at 75 mph. Here is a weblink: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

This chart made me think about my wheel's max pressure rating. When I crawled up under my trailer I found the maximum allowed air pressure on my Safari's wheels is 65 PSI, it is stamped on the back sides of the wheels. The tire dealer failed to see this when they recently changed my tires and I did not see this in my trailer's manual.

I wanted to caution anyone else, who may want to increase air pressure in their tire in order to increase that tire's speed rating or if someone has changed from load range D to load range E tires and need to increase air pressure, that they should also check their wheel's maximum allowed pressure.

In order to inflate my new load range E tires to get maximum load rating, I need to go to 80 PSI. The chart is shown at TBC Corporation - Private Brands (Multi-Mile, Cordovan, Sigma, Vanderbilt)

Do any of you have experience that tells me I am going to have a problem with heat build up if I under-inflate my E rated tires to only 65 PSI, the wheels max PSI, in lieu of 80 PSI the tires max PSI?
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
It took some searching, but I finally found the document you spoke of, re the ST Goodyear Marathon Tires rated at 75 mph. Here is a weblink: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

Do any of you have experience that tells me I am going to have a problem with heat build up if I under-inflate my E rated tires to only 65 PSI, the wheels max PSI, in lieu of 80 PSI the tires max PSI?

I bought E rated Towmax tires this past winter at Jackson Centre. Pressured them to about 65 psi and continued on our trip to Tucson and back home to Ontario with no problems whatsoever. I have a TPMS and noted that when the tires heat up, they come up to about 65 psi or a bit higher.

My TPMS also measures temp, although they are just stem mounted sensors so I can't think they are that accurate. Tire temperatures seemed to rise maybe 10 degrees F. or so after a long run at 60-70mph.

My Alcoa wheels, original to the trailer, are rated at 95psi, but I didn't think there was any need to go higher than around 65psi with the load that our
trailer imposes.

I figured that raising the pressure to the maximum for the tire would only subject my trailer to a more harsh ride.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #45
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Brian, which TPMS did you go with? I'm looking to buy one.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Brian, which TPMS did you go with? I'm looking to buy one.
I went with a system marketed under the name Hawkshead,

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM

I bought this one mainly because I liked the idea of having sensors with batteries that I could easily replace myself. Also it wasn't quite as expensive as some.

I have had it for several years now and used it on two cross country trips. It works fine.

I did buy an extra signal booster that is just operated by a few AA cells and I locate that in the cupboard over the sofa. I have used the system on at least one trip where I forgot to bring the booster and it still worked fine. It was only an extra $60 though and I wanted to be sure I got a good signal from the cab of our truck to the back axle of the trailer.

Since buying the Hawkshead system, I have seen what appears to be the identical equipt sold under other names.

Having used the system, I wouldn't be without it. There is of course no 100% guarantee that you still might not have a tire blow and rip up the side of the trailer, but I think a TPMS does hedge your bets.

It gives me a little more peace of mind that with the TPMS along with visual check of the tires every time we stop, and replacement at 5 years, I'm doing about all I can!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #47
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Thanks Brian. I think that's the system I'm going to go with also.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote