Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm really glad that we made the switch to the 16" wheels and the Michelin LT's The extra expense was worth it to me because the 15" LT's are more difficult to find in stock ion a small town. It seems like just about everyone stocks the 16's. The other reason is that Lucy's OEM wheels were just about as awful as the ST tires. The design was such that the valve stem was very difficult to get at, which made checking and adding pressure a difficult procedure. The new 16" wheels are great.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3331.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	127644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5898.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	127645  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Where I live in NC, it is not legal to use any tire on a trailer unless it is specifically labeled for use on a trailer. This makes the light truck tires some of you say you are using illegal if you pass through NC. You can be ticked here for this. I am not sure about other states' laws.

Alan

Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since LT tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use LT tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C, made in ever fewer sizes, and now almost all that are still made are made in China.

Just send your NC representative a copy of the thread on Marathon failures and ask him if he would use them with his family.

I have used Michelin LTs load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only LT tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
You are right, complaining about something that is so insignifigant as a tire, unless it is your tire that goes out while you are towing.
I have to leave right now, I will check back tonight.
The issue here is if it's really against the law for a normal consumer to use an LT rated tire on his RV. If it is, do the leg work and post the evidence. I knew my trailer had ST tires on it when I bought it. I'm not filing a complaint for something that was my choice.

When the P rated tires wore out on my 1/2 ton truck, I upgraded to LT's. When the ST rated tires wear out on the trailer, I'll be upgrading to 16" LT's. Until then I'll be checking for wear and proper inflation and keeping it under 65MPH.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think anyone that tows a trailer at a higher speed than 65 mph is asking for trouble, no matter what type of tire or who makes it. A 14" or even a 15" tires spins a lot faster than a 16" I don't know the exact dimensions of any of the tires, but if you just used the rim size as an example; the circumference = diameter x 3.1416. Therefore a 14" rim has a circumference of 43.98"; a 15" rim has a circumference of 47.12"; a 16" rim has a circumference of 50.27". A 16" rim rotating at a speed of 65 mph would be the equvilant of a 15" running at 69.29 mph. I don't think there are many trailers out there with 14" but the speed would be even higher.
So when you are out there going 75 mph think about how fast that tire is spinning.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #19
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Lots of interesting views and opinions here on tires. That is no surprise

When I look for tires I usually look online at Tirerack dot com. They have all the specs listed for all the tires they sell. I like to look at the tire diameter on their spec sheets. One thing that TG Twinkie mentioned was tire revs per mile. It is possible to have a 16" tire that has a short aspect ratio spin faster than a "tall" 15" tire. An ST 225/75/15 GYM has a diameter of 28.3" and 736 revs per mile. A Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75/15 has a diameter of 28.9 and 721 revs per mile. The Michelin LTX 235/85/16 LR E has a diameter of 31.7" and 656 revs per mile.

I'm inclined to agree that the ST designation is so that cheap trailer tires won't be put on passenger cars.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I spent a few hours tonight researching NC General Statures re trailer tires, and did not find anything to back up what I said. I will continue and post what I find.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Top on tire circumference; Thus the disclaimer that I didn't know the tire diameters. By using the rim size I was just trying to show the significance in the rotation speed differential. The point is that the greater the circumference, the fewer rotations per mile which results in less tire wear and lower temperatures if the tires are properly balance and have the correct air pressure for the load.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
LT not made with a rating above C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
HowieE[/LEFT];980819]Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since LT tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use LT tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C, made in ever fewer sizes, and now almost all that are still made are made in China.

Just send your NC representative a copy of the thread on Marathon failures and ask him if he would use them with his family.

I have used Michelin
LTs
load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only LT tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

Not sure where you are getting your data>
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure B 4 B 35 psi (240
kPa
)*** C 6 C 50 psi (350
kPa
)*** D 8 D 65 psi (450
kPa
)*** E 10 E 80 psi (550
kPa
)*** F 12 F 95 psi (650
kPa
)***
Also later in this post there was talk about tire
circumference
. I went from a 265 75R16 to a 285R16 and I gained about 3 mph the strange thing is
according
to my GPS/ Radar GPS and I even checked it with GPS on Microsoft Maps it was a correct speedometer reading with the oversize tires.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)*** C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)*** D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)*** E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)*** F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since LT tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

I have used Michelin LTs load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only LT tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

My dyslexia has to be corrected here. The corrections are in Red

Are you sure this relates to RV tires and not just commercial trailers. If it does relate to RV tires NC has got to get with the program and change the law since ST tires are fast becoming a thing of the past. If I had to guess that law might refer to those who would use wheel barrow tires on small RV trailers

There is no way, law or no law, I would ever use ST tires on my trailer. First off they are not made with a rating above C, made in ever fewer sizes, and now almost all that are still made are made in China.

I have used Michelin LTs load range E at 40 psi ever since Tow Master, which was the only ST tire I would have considered sent their molds to China

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "I appologize if I offended anyone" -- me, too.

But this is a good topic to expose to the light of day so no apologies are needed, IMHO.

Besides, some folks have learned new TLA's!! ;-)

It is also an opportunity to take note of the problem of statistical sampling as in the post about "ST tire failures" and "cheap, unreliable ST tire" and so on.

ST tires are not made for a cushy ride, they are made for tires that sit a lot, don't steer or drive, need good sidewall stiffness, and can handle the sideways forces often found in travel trailer tire movement.

Tire failure is most often due to under-inflation. If someone is having trouble with their ST tires on their trailer, they need to look at the tire loading, inflation pressures, and other such things.

But it is a lot easier and more comforting to the ego to just lambaste those evil corporations make cheap junk that they foist off on an unsuspecting buyer than it is to take responsibility for one's problems.

There are an awful lot of trailer tires out there. Not everyone has trouble with ST tires on their trailer. Manufacturers usually provide ST tires on the trailers they sell. I can understand the feelings some may have when they encounter defective parts or suffer unusual failures but I do think the message is not that the tire type is 'cheap junk' or whatever but rather that the fundamental problem lies in the difference between what those experiencing problems are doing and the others.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
Wow! I guess Out-of-doors mart in Colfax, NC is going to be breaking the law by selling the new 2012 Eddie Bauer 25'. The trailer comes from the mothership with 16" Michelin LTX tires.

Bye,

Paul
I looked at the new Eddie Bauer trailer on the lot, and not only does it have LT 225/75R16E tires on it, nowhere does it say " not for sale or use in North Carolina."
Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Still searching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I looked at the new Eddie Bauer trailer on the lot, and not only does it have LT 225/75R16E tires on it, nowhere does it say " not for sale or use in North Carolina."
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the help on the window seals! I have repaired most of them now, the material you suggested worked great.

All,
I'm still (more than 4 hours now) researching what I said about the NC regulations. I have even done a query to NCDOT. Since I am having difficulty locating this info in the general statutes, I am starting to think this regulation may have been repealed or revised. When I find out I will post the results.

I hope I do not have to get my big foot out of my mouth!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is it true that the GYM's are once again being made in the US? Or is that just some change that lets them label them that way?

I do hope the OP is wrong about the NC law. I have seriously violated it if he is not. And I am unrepentant about it.