Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 03:55 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I've been following this thread for a long time. First thing is don't even try to compare passenger tires to LT tires. You only put passenger tires on a small utility trailer and even that may be a push. I recently put Yokohama Geolander LT load range C tires on my van. They were the only 15" LT load range C tires with a highway tread available in this country. Turns out they are also M&S rated which is a plus (I'd expected "all season"). They are the best tires I've had for years; ever since Les Schwab went down hill and kept putting passenger rated tires on a 5000# vehicle and warranty replacing them on a regular basis.

If I keep the stock 15" rims on my Argosy I'll use the same tires. But the writing is on the wall and since the rims really need replacement I'm most likely to go to a 16" aftermarket rim. The Yokohamas will be high on my list of replacement tires. As will BF Goodrich. ST tires... no. I've watched them on U-Haul rentals (and other rentals). They must get them cheap. I'll only rent a tandem axle trailer as typically 1 out of 4 will be defective (i.e. bulge in the sidewall).
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #62
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You should be comparing a ST 225-75-15 LRC to a Michelin LTX M/S2 235-75-15 which I think is a LRC. (6ply rated) This is what most here change to.
But that is an upgrade in several ways. To make a valid comparison, everything has to be the same except for the things that are inherent in the difference between P type tires and ST type tires - which is the question I was responding to.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
But that is an upgrade in several ways. To make a valid comparison, everything has to be the same except for the things that are inherent in the difference between P type tires and ST type tires - which is the question I was responding to.
You are correct that there is essentially no comparison to be made between ST tires and P rated radials; at least as far as use on an Airstream is concerned. You simply cannot find a P rated tire with enough load capacity to replace even a load range C tire. That's largely because of lower inflation pressure and no bonus allowance for running higher pressures. FWIW, on another forum a poster pointed out that according to an article on TireRack.com you have to decrease the load range of a P rated tire by 10% when used for trailer use. The only scenario where I can see using a P rated tire on a trailer is with something like a 4x8 utility trailer that's got 12" tires.

That's why people keep pointing out that the only valid comparison is an LT tire vs ST tire. And you can get load range C LT tires in a 15" rim size so the comparison is apples to rotten tomatos
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
tampa , Florida
Lots of info offered, and many opinions but still confused and in need of tires. Replacing all 6 tow masters st that are 4 yrs old on my 34ft. Unfortunately have not had much use which is part of the problem. Crackling and crazing noted on 2 so feel it best to replace all. No problems till now and a great ride but always open to newer technology and others experience. Will continue to reach out for info. and then just choose one. Thank you for putting it all out there.Not able to change myself and many tire places unable to accommodate the length so also looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
jleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleric View Post
Lots of info offered, and many opinions but still confused and in need of tires. Replacing all 6 tow masters st that are 4 yrs old on my 34ft. Unfortunately have not had much use which is part of the problem. Crackling and crazing noted on 2 so feel it best to replace all. No problems till now and a great ride but always open to newer technology and others experience. Will continue to reach out for info. and then just choose one. Thank you for putting it all out there.Not able to change myself and many tire places unable to accommodate the length so also looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Looks like you have Discount Tire stores on Lakeland and Winterhaven. It's difficult to beat their prices. Some have lots of space, others are located in more confined spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
camping season must be winding down...
waiting for the "Airstream's need a soft ride" thread