Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #43
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
ST tires have a much easier like than car tires and they are build much less robust and much lighter weight. You can look at the weight of a tire and tell that.

Perry
I am going to thoroughly disagree.

ST tires have to support much more load than a P type tire of the same size. For example, an ST225/75R15 Load Range D has a load carrying capacity of 2540# and weighs about 30#, while a P225/75R15 has a 1874# and weighs around 29#.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This is, in my opinion, as it should be. There once was a day in our society when consumers expected a product to be well built and designed for best performance. I am old enough to remember that. Building a decent product with the customers' needs as number one and being satisfied with a reasonable profit was the norm and not in need of any special praise. With nearly everything today being manufactured where the labor and materials are the least expensive, and with maximizing the stockholders' profits and ridiculously overpaid executives' salaries being the only important objective, buyers are not apt to find much worthy of praise. In my recent experience, "acceptable, but barely so and overpriced" is the rating I would give to 90% of what I buy.

In my mind, lack of criticism is a form of praise in today's marketplace. It is extremely seldom that I find I product i consider worthy of praise.

However, I have for a long time held the belief that one should not expect praise for simply meeting the minimum requirements for anything.

Ken
What you said is true, but for some reason there are those that wont acknowledge that nowday's.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
ST tires have a much easier like than car tires and they are build much less robust and much lighter weight. You can look at the weight of a tire and tell that.

Perry
You mean a ST tire is stupid and only has to follow and a LT is like an athlete?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I am going to thoroughly disagree.

ST tires have to support much more load than a P type tire of the same size. For example, an ST225/75R15 Load Range D has a load carrying capacity of 2540# and weighs about 30#, while a P225/75R15 has a 1874# and weighs around 29#.
You should be comparing a ST 225-75-15 LRC to a Michelin LTX M/S2 235-75-15 which I think is a LRC. (6ply rated) This is what most here change to.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
south haven , Michigan
Although I don't pull an AS yet, soon will be, I have been in the tire business for 37 yrs. In my opinion if one had the room I would go for the 16" LT and would go with Firestone TransForce HT, Hankook Dynapro HT or Michelin. When I sold Goodyear I was dismayed when I saw the made in China stamp on the expensive Marathon Tires, it's a high profit margin for GY. The Marathon is not worth going out of your way for. I do believe a tpms would be a good investment no matter what you use & should be standard or an option on an AS purchase. Low inflation is a tire killer no matter what you run on.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
no tires from Communist China for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith49090 View Post
Although I don't pull an AS yet, soon will be, I have been in the tire business for 37 yrs. In my opinion if one had the room I would go for the 16" LT and would go with Firestone TransForce HT, Hankook Dynapro HT or Michelin. When I sold Goodyear I was dismayed when I saw the made in China stamp on the expensive Marathon Tires, it's a high profit margin for GY.

Low inflation is a tire killer no matter what you run on.

I've not had problems with our original GYM tires. I am getting ready to replace them due to age. Tire Rack shows ALL Goodyear marathons as made in China.

For that matter, a search shows no US or Canadian made ST alternatives.

I would much rather take a risk on a US or Canadian made LT tire than take a risk on any Chinese made tire regardless of ST specs.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #49
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
One point that I don't believe has been mentioned:

Because ST tires are designed for trailers and trailers do not (by definition only) carry human passengers, they are not subject to the same safety and testing standards as P or LT rated tires, Apparently the logic behind that is that there is no danger of human injury or death from a trailer tire. Anyone who thinks about it will realize that argument is bogus, because a tire failure can cause loss of control of the tow vehicle. However that policy allows manufacturers to make marginal trailer tires and sell them for nearly the same price as ones designed to transport people.

Personally, after my experiences with ST tires and now with LT tires, I would not even put a ST tire on a garbage trailer, because I don't want to pick up garbage from the road after the ST tire failure.

Ken
Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
[QUOTE=Ag&Au;1503509
Because ST tires are designed for trailers and trailers do not (by definition only) carry human passengers, they are not subject to the same safety and testing standards as P or LT rated tires, Apparently the logic behind that is that there is no danger of human injury or death from a trailer tire. Anyone who thinks about it would realize that argument is bogus, because a tire failure can cause loss of control of the tow vehicle. However that practice allows manufacturers to make marginal trailer tires and sell them for nearly the same price as ones designed to transport people.

Personally, after my experiences with ST tires and now with LT tires, I would not even put a ST tire on a garbage trailer, because I don't want to pick up garbage from the road after the ST tire failure.
Ken[/QUOTE]

LOL that was funny.
I think a ST tire was intended to be a cheapest tire to be used on trailers only. I also bet the farm that marathons have been a cash cow for Goodyear. If harbor freight can sell 4" grinders for $9.95 I wouldn't be surprised if ST tires from china cost $20 dollars wholesale!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #51
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
One point that I don't believe has been mentioned:

Because ST tires are designed for trailers and trailers do not (by definition only) carry human passengers, they are not subject to the same safety and testing standards as P or LT rated tires, Apparently the logic behind that is that there is no danger of human injury or death from a trailer tire. Anyone who thinks about it will realize that argument is bogus, because a tire failure can cause loss of control of the tow vehicle. However that policy allows manufacturers to make marginal trailer tires and sell them for nearly the same price as ones designed to transport people.

This rational and logic makes perfect sense. I know some here have made the statement "Why would Goodyear market it so if it where not so"

But we all know that all automakers try skirt safety and emissions standards and tests by classifying cars differently. The big way of skirting things now has been with "crossovers" which aren't cars and are held to the safety standards of trucks. So they can claim, that they're safe, but not as safe as a passenger vehicle.

It only makes sense for one to consider if the manufacturer is doing things that they feel is the best compromise between bottom line and not getting sued and making a "good enough" product to sell in mass.

Great point Ken.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Got a question for you LT guys. Are you going to follow recommendations and replace with new every 3 to 4 years (5 max) no matter what the mileage or wear? Asking because they cost so much more than ST tires. If you go with 16 inch rims so you can go with the best LT tires, say the Michelin LTX MS2 in a 10 ply rating, you are putting $2000 on the line originally. Then $1200 to $1400 every 3 to 5 years after. Or, are you going to run them like they were on your TV and replace when worn or show cracks? Same question about a flat running in tandem--will you replace both on that side?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #53
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'll be full timing and replacing tires based on wear/milage/and year. So yes.

I don't think the cost is a big deal, but I guess if you live on retirement or SS it is. to me, it's just operating expenses of owning an AS. It's budgeted for.

Tires are like my shoes and bed, things I don't usually skimp or go cheap on.

personal opinion is all.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
""I'll be full timing and replacing tires based on wear/milage/and year. So yes""

Sounds like you've got it covered as best as you can. And, I agree cost just can't be a factor when dealing with your tires. Like Keith said, TPMS is another expense that can really pay dividends also.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Howard, I would like to see some deterioration before replacing the 16" Michelins, not sure when that might be. The almost nine year old tires on our 2006 VW Jetta Diesel show none.

I think climate makes a difference, Minnesota summers and Southwest winters sees our Airstream in moderate temps all year, and we keep them covered when not rolling.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If a person has to worry about the costs of operation of the (name the item), they probably can't afford it in the first place.

Our Airstream trailer has a cost basis into the six digits before the decimal place. Five Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires cost under $1,200 last December or just over 1% of the cost of the trailer.

If I replace them every four years, I need to allocate about $350 annually to the tire reserve fund in order to buy the new tires. I also need to allocate funds for the diesel fuel and truck service, the truck tires, the black and gray water tank solutions, and all the other consumables associated with the Airstream "hobby" which is what it is in most cases.

Some folks are spending over a $1,000 per year to insure the trailer. I think spending $350 annually for the next four years to not have tire problems is cheap insurance. I have experienced the failures of GoodYear ST tires on my motorcycle haulers and do not want a delaminated tire incident on my Airstream. Not only would I have to pay the deductible for the incident, the value drops considerably for a damaged trailer even if well repaired. That drop in trailer value would more than exceed the cost of the tires over many years.

I just do not desire to take chances with a tire of poor reputation on nearly all forums where tires are discussed. I operate in and out of Arizona and have to tow in 118 degree weather. In my 45 year tire buying experience, there have been no failures of Michelin tires on any of my or my families vehicles. There have a very few flats from screws and nails.

As mentioned above in this thread, the manufacturers do not warranty the "ST" tires they install and hope they just get the trailer to the dealer.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote