Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Fact should be if your tires, ST or LT, are weight rated much higher than needed by your trailer and you keep them inflated to their sidewall max number, you should be more than fine--I fact, run TPMS so you always know their temp and pressure. I do believe the brand has a lot to do with it all also. For example, it's hard to beat Michelin for car or truck. I'm glad a number of our forum members are running LT tires. I'll call you the test group. Hopefully in 5 years there will be enough miles traveled for a good report. Sorry, Phoenix, but as of now, I don't think so. In the meantime, unless you believe all manufactures are lying: ST tires are designed to carry more weight, provide a more stable ride for a towed vehicle, and dissipate heat generated by the heavy load. When I see blow out reports of these tires, I think of overloaded trailers or under inflated tires. And, I notice the report does not include that information. Phoenix is correct, if you want the ultimate, buy the Michelin Rib tire, 16 inch "E" rated. All steel, built for heavy truck duty and no 65 mph limit. Cost: well, just don't dwell on that part. But even with those there are limits on cold weather use, so nothing's perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-aka-Poppy View Post
Subscribed...

Me, too!

I really enjoy it when people who know only a little about tires talk about them. Dunning-Kruger effect!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Me, too!

I really enjoy it when people who know only a little about tires talk about them. Dunning-Kruger effect!
That's a pretty fancy name for what my Grandma used to call "too big for your britches".

However tires are far from the only subject where that phenomenon can be encountered here. (or on any forum for that matter).

Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
ST tires and LT tires are not tested and rated by the same standard. What would the load rating be for a GYM ST tire if it was tested and rated to the same standard as a LT tire? Or a P tire?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Recall

Which Michelin LT tires are the subject of a new recall?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I can show you just how good ST tires are in an afternoon, we can put a set on my 3/4 ton truck and I will show you just how fast they can fail.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Frederick , Maryland
You are not suggesting that a ST with a load index of 110 is different than a LT with a load index of 110, or even a P with the same load rating? I'm just trying to understand what you mean.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Which Michelin LT tires are the subject of a new recall?
I wouldn't call it new, but this is the only one I know of or could find on the internet.

Safety Recall : MICHELIN LTX M/S | Michelin Tires

Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not know what a Load Index is. What I am asking is if you took a GYM that is rated at 2500 or so lbs max load and tested it as a LT tire would it qualify for a 2500 lbs load rating as based on the LT testing. So, yeah, I am suggesting that the load ratings are not equavilent for the 3 types of tires mentioned. I think that load testing is done at different speeds for the tires resulting in higher ratings for ST tires than they would carry as if tested as LT or P tires.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I can show you just how good ST tires are in an afternoon, we can put a set on my 3/4 ton truck and I will show you just how fast they can fail.
This is a ridiculous proposition. The forces a motorized vehicle places on a tire are nothing like the forces a trailer does. Let's be real.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 AM   #25
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I do not know what a Load Index is. What I am asking is if you took a GYM that is rated at 2500 or so lbs max load and tested it as a LT tire would it qualify for a 2500 lbs load rating as based on the LT testing. So, yeah, I am suggesting that the load ratings are not equavilent for the 3 types of tires mentioned. I think that load testing is done at different speeds for the tires resulting in higher ratings for ST tires than they would carry as if tested as LT or P tires.
Bill,

You've kind of hit the nail on the head!! ST tires have different operating conditions than LT tires - and P type tires are different than even those 2.

ST tires are for use on free wheeling trailer positions. The only torque applied to them is braking (and of course, the torque from rolling resistance, which is pretty small compared to braking on engine torque!). They are speed restricted to 65 mph.

LT tires are for powered vehicles. They are speed rated, with the minimum speed rating being about 99 mph. They have to provide cornering power for the vehicle.

P type tires (used on light truck application) are derated 10% for load carrying capacity. have speed ratings as low as 112 mph, and are for motorized vehicles.

Needless to say, the testing conditions for each type SHOULD be different for each type - and appropriate to each type.

So if I test the same SIZE tire, each type would have a different set of testing conditions - the ST tires being the most heavily loaded, but tested at a lower speed.

But if I test tires with the same load carrying capacity, then the ST tires will be the smallest.

Apples and bananas! You've got to be very cautious when doing comparisons to make sure you've accounted for all the differences.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
This is a ridiculous proposition. The forces a motorized vehicle places on a tire are nothing like the forces a trailer does. Let's be real.
But it is real, a ST tire cant hold up to what a LT tire can do.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
Site Team

, Minnesota
What do you mean by real? Have you done this experiment, or is this based on what you read on the internet.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
What do you mean by real? Have you done this experiment, or is this based on what you read on the internet.
I wont argue about what should be obvious to you.