Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Glad you got them changed without having one come apart on the road. However, this is not an untypical story, and can we assume they were Goodyear Marathon tires?

Yes sir. They were indeed Goodyear that came off of the Airstream. We didn't replace them with Goodyear though. Purchased Carlisles for the prior Airstream and went with Carlisles on this one as well. Hope they prove to be as good as the Carlisles that we put on the prior Airstream.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
When I had a flat on my 67 Safari in 2003, I found that the spare was an original 1967 tire. It worked fine to get us to a tire shop, where I did replace all 3.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
When we removed the 4 existing tires (to mount the 4 new tires), 3 of the 4 were experiencing tread separation. In fact they were so bad I was surprised we had completed a 2 hour drive (from where we were camping to the Discount Tire) with no blowout. All of the 4 tires were the originals on the Airstream so they were approximately 4 years old. I was concerned that the 4th tire probably had issues that could not be seen so they all went in the trash. I'm thinking I better go purchase a new spare. Thanks all for the input and advice.
Had a very similar experience on our last (non AS) trailer with Marathons.

I felt vibration coming through to the tow vehicle, pulled over to check and found a piece of tread about 15 inches long x the full width completely missing from one tire. The Tire did not appear to have lost air and so we limped about two miles into a town with a tire centre.

When I examined the other tires in the dealers yard, I found that two more were just starting to show signs of the tread coming away from the carcass - all tires changed for some obscure Chinese make that was all the dealer had in Fort Stockton Texas!

No idea how they held up as we sold that trailer soon after!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Had a very similar experience on our last (non AS) trailer with Marathons.

I felt vibration coming through to the tow vehicle, pulled over to check and found a piece of tread about 15 inches long x the full width completely missing from one tire. The Tire did not appear to have lost air and so we limped about two miles into a town with a tire centre.

When I examined the other tires in the dealers yard, I found that two more were just starting to show signs of the tread coming away from the carcass - all tires changed for some obscure Chinese make that was all the dealer had in Fort Stockton Texas!

No idea how they held up as we sold that trailer soon after!

Brian
Your experience is exactly what we want to avoid. As you will recall, Fort Stockton, TX is out in the middle of nowhere. Good thing you were close to Fort Stockton when that occurred. That's the route we will be taking on our trip west. I feel good about our 4 new tires we're running with. I will feel better with a the spare also being new. In fact, I'm about to head out shortly and get the spare and head to Discount Tire to get that new tire mounted.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
As you will recall, Fort Stockton, TX is out in the middle of nowhere.
I once had friends who lived in Ft Stockton, TX, and they used to dispute that. Said Ft Stockton was in the middle of everywhere.

They said if you want to go to the lake, it was 150 that way. If you want to go to the mountains, it was 150 that other way. If you want to go to the city, it was 250 miles that other way. If you want to go to the coast, it's 350 thata way.

All things are relative.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
I once had friends who lived in Ft Stockton, TX, and they used to dispute that. Said Ft Stockton was in the middle of everywhere.

They said if you want to go to the lake, it was 150 that way. If you want to go to the mountains, it was 150 that other way. If you want to go to the city, it was 250 miles that other way. If you want to go to the coast, it's 350 thata way.

All things are relative.

Very true. All things are relative. But in my view it's in the middle of nowhere when limping along on a flat tire.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Very true. All things are relative. But in my view it's in the middle of nowhere when limping along on a flat tire.
Think about it a while, would you rather be "limping along on a flat tire" in downtown Houston on IH10?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Yes
Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
You didn't think about long enough.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Think about it a while, would you rather be "limping along on a flat tire" in downtown Houston on IH10?
Is that the only other option? I'd otherwise choose to avoid the Houston traffic-hole altogether, ESPECIALLY when towing.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote