Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Spare Tire Help!

Hi, we are new Airstream owners. We just bought a 2000 Safari (Queen Wall) 25 ft. Made our purchase in San Antonio and drove home over the weekend to Tucson. Will be on this web site everyday with all the questions we have! Did lots of research and know we made the best choice buying an airstream. We are second owners of the unit and bought it from a dealer. When we went to pick it up we discovered there was no spare tire. I guess they are options....Anyway the dealer pulled one off a new unit and gave it to us......we put in the bed of the truck...... can't imagine anyone making a trip without a spare!!!! Okay now to our question.....We know the tire fits up under the front of the trailer. But there is no bracket, is this someting we could make and how does it attach? Someone said in a post they thought it was in a "Y" shape??? Help!
hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobby
Hi, we are new Airstream owners. We just bought a 2000 Safari (Queen Wall) 25 ft. Made our purchase in San Antonio and drove home over the weekend to Tucson. Will be on this web site everyday with all the questions we have! Did lots of research and know we made the best choice buying an airstream. We are second owners of the unit and bought it from a dealer. When we went to pick it up we discovered there was no spare tire. I guess they are options....Anyway the dealer pulled one off a new unit and gave it to us......we put in the bed of the truck...... can't imagine anyone making a trip without a spare!!!! Okay now to our question.....We know the tire fits up under the front of the trailer. But there is no bracket, is this someting we could make and how does it attach? Someone said in a post they thought it was in a "Y" shape??? Help!
First, welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new purchase!
A spare tire bracket (mount, holder, whatever you want to call it) should mount under the trailer, at the front, in a recessed area that has to be specially prepped for the assembly. The bracket pivots on two hinges at the rear on models I have seen, and latches at the front. If you are not familiar working with aluminum, it would be a good idea to let your friendly Airstream dealer handle the refit
On older trailers, the spare could mount between the LP tanks and the body of the trailer above the frame, but IIRC, the newer ones have some kind of a LP tank cover there that would interfere with that location.
Terry
Old 10-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Hobby, I was in your position a few years ago. I decided that the best place for the spare was indeed in the bed of the truck. Spare wheels are heavy, and the best place for extra weight is in the truck, over the rear axle. The heavier the truck in comparison to the trailer, the safer the rig. (all other things being equal, which they're not!) . The tongue weight also needs to be checked if a spare is added to the front of the trailer. I also did not wish to cut into the original structure, nor did I like the potential cost. Also, checking the tire pressue would maybe need a valve extension or a trip in the mud. For all those reasons, I chose to keep the spare in the bed of the truck. RV dealers sell a bracket for just this purpose. I paid $10 for mine from Bob's RV, Alachua, North Florida. The wheel fits vertically against the inside of the bed wall, and attaches with some big self tappers to the inner skin and the bed floor. I've fitted a cover to stop the ultra-violet, and ensured I have access to the valve. I'm very pleased with it. It wouldn't suit everyone, but it fits my needs exactly. Nick.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
First, welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new purchase!
A spare tire bracket (mount, holder, whatever you want to call it) should mount under the trailer, at the front, in a recessed area that has to be specially prepped for the assembly. The bracket pivots on two hinges at the rear on models I have seen, and latches at the front. If you are not familiar working with aluminum, it would be a good idea to let your friendly Airstream dealer handle the refit
On older trailers, the spare could mount between the LP tanks and the body of the trailer above the frame, but IIRC, the newer ones have some kind of a LP tank cover there that would interfere with that location.
Terry
Thanks, you are right I will probably check with the dealers here in town. See if a bracket is available to order. They may need to install. I guess I should go to the dealer and crawl under a new model to take a look......thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Hobby, I was in your position a few years ago. I decided that the best place for the spare was indeed in the bed of the truck. Spare wheels are heavy, and the best place for extra weight is in the truck, over the rear axle. The heavier the truck in comparison to the trailer, the safer the rig. (all other things being equal, which they're not!) . The tongue weight also needs to be checked if a spare is added to the front of the trailer. I also did not wish to cut into the original structure, nor did I like the potential cost. Also, checking the tire pressue would maybe need a valve extension or a trip in the mud. For all those reasons, I chose to keep the spare in the bed of the truck. RV dealers sell a bracket for just this purpose. I paid $10 for mine from Bob's RV, Alachua, North Florida. The wheel fits vertically against the inside of the bed wall, and attaches with some big self tappers to the inner skin and the bed floor. I've fitted a cover to stop the ultra-violet, and ensured I have access to the valve. I'm very pleased with it. It wouldn't suit everyone, but it fits my needs exactly. Nick.
Thanks, for the info...I'm going to check it out with the airstream dealer here in town. Weight is not an issue for us we pull the trailer with a 2000 Ford 250 Power Stroke.