Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Spare tire carrier under rear end.

Would it cause a disturbance it the Airstream Force if I put a spare tire carrier under the rear of my trailer where there is lots of room since it is a center bath model it is relatively unloaded compared the the rear bath models? I picked up a spare rim and tire for $106 at a local trailer place. I don't know that I would run it full time but it beats the heck out of running on three wheels. It came with a D rated 225/75-D15 trailer tire.

Next question is where to find a carrier or do I need to make one.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
It would be low, might drag it off, especially on a 31'. Front would be better. Ours is up in a "well" at the front end, in a carrier. If you don't have the well, back of the TV may be best bet. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Would it cause a disturbance it the Airstream Force if I put a spare tire carrier under the rear of my trailer where there is lots of room since it is a center bath model it is relatively unloaded compared the the rear bath models? I picked up a spare rim and tire for $106 at a local trailer place. I don't know that I would run it full time but it beats the heck out of running on three wheels. It came with a D rated 225/75-D15 trailer tire.

Next question is where to find a carrier or do I need to make one.

Perry
Don't do that.

The ground clearance will go south.

Spare tire carriers already exist, that fit very neatly underneath the front end of the trailer, and made by Airstream, that do not change the ground clearance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you don't have the one in front, it's relatively easy to install. Most Airstream dealers sell the carrier, all you would have to do is cut the belly pan between the A-frame and front crossmember, and put the aluminum up against the floor and bolt the carrier in place. Yes, the crossmembers already have the threaded holes in hem.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well the same clearance problem will exist if the tire is located in the front will it not? Either way you have to remove the skin and make a pocket for it to fit in. The skins are already off in the rear right now and that is the reason I want to put it back there. I can't see it sticking down much below the original skin level. The tire would fit almost all the way to the floor between the beds.

Perry
Old 11-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I Wouldn't Do It

I am surprised Andy didn't mention the risks associated with hanging anything that far aft on a vintage 31.'
There is no frame to speak of back there. The floor is literally supported by the shell, I believe.
A heavy spare that far back could cause frame separation and tail droop.
Imagine the floor as a long lever arm, with the fulcrum at the axle. Every jolt and jar would be tearing the floor assembly from the shell.
Let's see if Andy will confirm, or deny, this observation.
P.S. I've seen folks destroy their Airstreams by attaching big storage boxes and generator storage racks to their rear bumpers.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I am surprised Andy didn't mention the risks associated with hanging anything that far aft on a vintage 31.'
There is no frame to speak of back there. The floor is literally supported by the shell, I believe.
Imagine the floor as a long lever arm, with the fulcrum at the axle. Every jolt and jar would be tearing the floor assembly from the shell.
P.S. I've seen folks destroy their Airstreams by attaching big storage boxes and generator storage racks to their rear bumpers.
Mounting anything on the rear? HECK NO, PERIOD.

The spare tire mounted in the front, cannot possibly lower the front clearance, since the tire itself, sits on a platform, that pushes the tire against the bottom of the interior floor.

The underbelly is cut out within the A-frame. That metal is then fastened to the bottom of the floor. Sealing with Vulkem is a must.

When done correctly, if the font of the tralier is on the ground, without a jack, you still cannot touch the tire carrier with the ground.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Well the same clearance problem will exist if the tire is located in the front will it not? Either way you have to remove the skin and make a pocket for it to fit in. The skins are already off in the rear right now and that is the reason I want to put it back there. I can't see it sticking down much below the original skin level. The tire would fit almost all the way to the floor between the beds.

Perry
The spare is supposed to go at the A-frame. The tongue jack base and WD brackets will be torn off before the spare tire carrier contcts the ground.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Mine is an 81. I have a full box beam and no bathroom and no holding tanks back there. I am probably 1000lb lighter back there than the rear bath models with the same frame. The 70's model 31's had just a single C-Channel beam instead of a full box beam. It was just an idea guys.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Opelika , Alabama
it would be fine, since you have the belly skin off already, just make a bracket out of some old angle iron and weld it between the frames. btw, i see you are in new market. i am in opelika.

ps. some of these guys are a little intense. i think some of them might be yankees. i was at desoto s.p. last week, it was ok but too many people.
bobnmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Do yourself a favor, buy the carrier,mount it under the front, out of the way, could even help with tongue weight.
ps. South Carolina was the first state to succede from the Union (and the first to sign the Declaration of Independence)

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
tire carrier

you mean "secede" !! wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Um, I'd be slow to ignor the advice of those with over 10,000 posts and have essentially made their careers around Airstream.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Wise man once said, " If you're gonna be stupid, ya better be tough"

Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Do yourself a favor, buy the carrier,mount it under the front, out of the way, could even help with tongue weight.
Perry,

We have never had a clearance problem with the front carrier on the Classic.
IMO that would be the way to go.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07909.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	144413  
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Am I understanding some of the above posts correctly in that the front carrier position does not impact ground clearance? My drive is rather steep, and I find I need to lower the tension on the WD in order to raise the rear enough to not scrape when backing up the drive. However, if I lower it too much, the safety chains scrape where they cross under the front of the A frame.

I have a spare mount, but have not mounted it due to concern of getting hung up on the spare and carrier.

In this scenario, would installing the spare carrier in the factory position result in a ground contact issue?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If it did, you could just hop out, remove the spare, hop back in, and park.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I still might do this as an interim thing because I just got through rehabing the rear end and it is ready to put a tire carrier back there. The front mount position might be better but I don't have 2 months to pull the skins, pull all the pink nasty stuff out, POR15 the frame etc. etc. etc. I have a spare that I would rather not put in my tow vehicle.

Ok let me ask you this, where do I get a tire carrier or do I just make one?

Perry
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Ok let me ask you this, where do I get a tire carrier or do I just make one?

Perry
Any parts stocking AS dealer either has it, or can get it for you.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
New, a tire carrier cost approx. $150 plus shipping from an Airstream dealer. I did have some quotes higher than that when I was looking.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote