Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
SilverToy hello ,

The senario was that when the tube went in the split rim ,the tire went flat and turned to shrapnel quick ,tire was toast .As it was turning to " toast"it decide to rip out the rear outrigger .Absolutly no damage to the skin but did bash the inner fender well. I dont have any photos due to the fact that the at that time I was not real happy when I saw that outrigger yanked out of place. Was too busy trying to figure out the next plan ,the sleghammer !! Those outriggers at least on my trdwnd are tough ! got it back out of the way . Inner fender well was repaired .Not too bad as mine are metal . Damage about a 1/4 of it . Anyway this wasnt really the put it on than go ,but I will say that I did not have to go under the trailer and get the spare unbolted drag it out etc,etc. Open the tailgate and pulled it out and that was the only easy part of it. naturally as we all do I have excellent tires on it and look after them making certain that they are in the best condition possible.The original split rims had what looked like fairly new tires ,no cracks or wear ,but I m sure that the inner tube must have popped from heat then in no time the tire was gone .There was a dragging feeling on the trailer when it happened but no sway or anything except some extra bad noise and smoke !! The wyoming highway patrol,at least the officer who stopped , was really nice and helpful kudo's to him and them.

Scott ofscottanlily

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I hope you have replaced the split rim wheels.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I picked up a uni-lug spare tire at an autowrecker that serves as the car and trailer spare. It is light weight and not intended for a long haul but will definitely get the car or trailer to the next tire service centre no problem. I also carry a couple of cans of flat tire/inflator in a can in case I'm on a busy freeway and trying to change a tire is life threatening - at least that will get me either to a spot off the road to do a safe change of wheels or to the next tire centre. I also have a small aluminum floor jack I carry in the car that works for the trailer as well and a four end wheel wrench that fits both the car and the trailer lug nuts.
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Action,
Most definatly they are gone!! We went to Big O tires in cheyenne .I pull out the shredded tire and split rim ,the guy looks at it and says we dont work on those ! (is everyone reading this sentence) I said great throw it in the trash and sell me new tires and wheels . the tires were greenball towmasters load range D 700-15 and yes it says towmaster on the sidewall . in most all boat stores that sell tires and rim assemblies the tires are towmaster . They got us all the way from wyoming to california in 100 degree weather ,no problems.Im sure that heat was instrumental in killing that inner tube in the split rim .Every one get rid of them period!
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #33
Site Team
, Minnesota

You are lucky you didn't have a '59 Tradewind. A 7.00-15 won't fit.
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Happy Spare fits....

Scott/ Mark etal -

Glad to hear that the replacement(s) went as well as it did.

Scott - Also glad to hear that the tire dying wasn't a major deal as it often can be. I am STILL thanking MY lucky stars that my blowout wasn't any a bigger deal than it turned out to be. As mentioned previously, there are MANY folks that have forked out HUGE $ from a seemingly minor blowout that was catasrophic, or not noticed in a quick time frame due to the terrific towing capabilities of the AS trailers.

Glad to hear the the replacements (tires & rims) were seemingly done in short time frames, costly to be sure!, but then safety has NO real monitary value - does it!? Not when it is my family!

See ya all out there!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote