Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Andrew T. with that long-term success, have you talked to the powers at Airstream about these 15" XL tires? If so, how did they respond?

I can't understand Airstream putting the more expensive 16" Michelin XLT on the Eddie Bauer, now offering them as an upgrade, and installing the at their Service Center when they could have used your recommendation. The Eddie Bauer style wheel is available in 15" or 16" size, so that's not it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Original tires 1972

I decided to stick with what it was engineered for and came with-Michelin radials (bottom 2nd column) '73 specs. http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...6ddb906013.pdf 235/75R15 36210 Michelin LTX M/S 2 Plenty of payload for 41 year old 31'er.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Still can't find what I need

I really appreciate all the suggestions but I feel even more stuck than ever. I do not want to make the switch to 16" at this point due to extra expense and things that have to be changed. I talked to a guy at Tire Rack and he could not understand why I would want an LT instead of ST and when I explained that many others on AS forum had better experience and less problems with an LT. He recommended the Power King Tow Max 225/75/R15 Load E as the best choice for my trailer. My current tires that I got from AS are 15" load D. The RV repair man that is currently helping me with my trailer says he like ST better too and that I do not need a load E. So can someone tell me an LT tire that will work to replace an ST 225/75 R15 Load D??? All the ones that I see cannot handle this load. Please help!!!!!
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The tire sellers and RV dealers in Canada are not the individual out in the boondocks with a blown tire and side damage to the trailer. They are in business. We have a different perspective.

Experience of forum members here leans heavily to 16" wheels and Michelin tires as as reliable solution. I only bought four and kept my original spare to control cost.

doug k
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I am curious about how the tire dealer raised your Airstream in order to install the new wheels and tires.
Thanks,
Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
I am curious about how the tire dealer raised your Airstream in order to install the new wheels and tires.
Thanks,
Rick
My monthly post of this photo....but a question well asked.

Bob
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I like the idea of keeping the 15" wheels, avoiding that expense, and putting the Continental Vanco 2 tires on. I have the Vancos on my TV, for summer use, and they are great. I'm going to put them on the Airstream, too, next time around. The lower profile of the 70 series may help in getting them on, as well. The 15" 75 series tires are a tight fit through the 19' Bambi wheel openings.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Rim pressure limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Tirerack has these 15" trailer tires in load range E for $109.

Power King Towmax STR ST225/75R15

2,830 lbs at 80psi. Times 4 is 11,320 lbs vastly exceeding most Airstreams GVWR.
Keep in mind that not all of the alloy rims that came on AS TT are rated for 80 psig. My 15" alloy rims on our 30` Classic are rated at a maximum of 65psig per the AS factory.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If you don't want the extra expense of buying wheels some folks are also using the Yokahama RY215. I would compare the Yokahama, Continental Vanco and the Michelin LTX - XL tire mentioned previously.

I haven't had tire trouble yet but I'm due for new tires 2 years from now. I would put these three high on my list. I have read about too many ST tire issues on this and other forums to go that route again. With the high speed of the interstate and being a weekend camping warrior sometimes you need to go faster than 65 mph.

RY215 Commercial Light Truck Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Keep in mind that not all of the alloy rims that came on AS TT are rated for 80 psig. My 15" alloy rims on our 30` Classic are rated at a maximum of 65psig per the AS factory.
The wheels should have the specs stamped on the back side.....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08108.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	179904  
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Another reason to upgrade to capable 16" wheels.

doug k
Old 02-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have been using the Michelin P235/75R x 15" XL (extra load) tires on every size Airstream for many years now. Even a fully loaded 30' classic does not overload these tires.

That I know of (and I am sure I would hear about it) none of our customers has ever had a flat with one. They stay in balance, run cool and ride very smooth and have considerably more traction in panic stops.
Hey Andrew, I was just about to call you up to see what tires you recommend...so you saved me the phone call. I'll book an appointment for April.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #33
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have been using the Michelin P235/75R x 15" XL (extra load) tires on every size Airstream for many years now. Even a fully loaded 30' classic does not overload these tires.

That I know of (and I am sure I would hear about it) none of our customers has ever had a flat with one. They stay in balance, run cool and ride very smooth and have considerably more traction in panic stops.

The advantage over the E range 16" tire is a much smoother ride in the Airstream. We have actually switched the 16" E tires on some Eddie Bauers to a softer riding tire to smooth out the ride. Most tire stores are going to be nervous putting these on trailers because they are told that trailers should have ST tires but ST tires are inferior to passenger or LT tires.

I hope this helps.
Hi Andrew,

I follow your input quite closely and have a question here. I think the load rating on the Michelin tire you reference above is 2,183 lbs. The GVWR for a 30' or 31' Classic s 10,000 lbs and for a 27' Classic it's 9,000 lbs. So it would seem that the Michelins would potentially be overloaded here, or am I missing something.

Would greatly appreciate your take on this.

Thanks,

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #34
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
My current tires that I got from AS are 15" load D. The RV repair man that is currently helping me with my trailer says he like ST better too and that I do not need a load E. So can someone tell me an LT tire that will work to replace an ST 225/75 R15 Load D??? All the ones that I see cannot handle this load. Please help!!!!!
There is another piece to the equasion that was mentioned above. How do you use your trailer?

Once to four times a year with a 100 mile longest distance?
Or do you put 10,000 miles of use in a year?
All highway usage?
Or do you have some oof road off grid experience?

All of those usages are different and really could be a differant tire/wheel choice. From the factory Airstream (or any other vehicle manufacturer) has no idea of what the end user is going to do with the trailer so they offer a tire wheel combo that has general application for all of those uses. Or offers 2 or 3 choices for the consumer. And in my opinion there isn't one tire/wheel combo that works for every situation. Either it isn't enough to do the load or it is too much for the load.

The therory for 16" or any tire/wheel combo that is larger in load rating or size is the capacity of that combination is so great that you will never exceed it's ability to do the job. Even if you don't maintain as needed.

So tire/wheel capacity is very important to the total load and maintaining proper pressure every trip is important as well.

For me personally I travel about 2 to 3 thousand RV miles a year all on paved surfaces. Speeds never exceed 60. (I mean never) I am rarely on an interstate and if I was I will be the guy doing 60 in a 75 MPH zone. I will also take a highway if available. I stop frequently and never go off the grid or on unpaved roads. I am unwilling to pay the extra bucks to increase the load capacity of my tire and wheel combo for this usage. I don't need any extra ride height. I know exactly what my trailer loaded to the max weighs out at and before I travel the tire pressures are checked and set if needed.

Goldilocks or the just right window -

As Client Eastwood said in a movie, a man has got to know his limits. Considering load D and load E?????? Well what is the difference in load capacity at max pressure and what is the max load of your trailer? If if were me, I would not exceed 10 to 15 percent of the max trailer load with tire capacity. So if the D load rated tires are good for 2000 #s a piece at 65 psi and you have 4 and your actual max trailer load is between 7300 to 7000 then you have matched the load to the tires. If not then you need different tire/wheel load capacity.

Simplifying this means compromising performance. Either you have not enough tire/wheel capacity and you risk damage. Or you have too much capacity and and you have over spent money. Take the over capacity too far and you will also risk damage to the trailer because of the rough ride.

I hope this helps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi John

The GVWR on new Airstreams is because the they use 2 5000 pound axles. If you look at older Airstreams 31's were much lower GVWR ratings because the axles were build for the actual load they were likely to carry. I have weighed a lot of customers 30 and 31 Classics. The heaviest one was 8360 on the wheels loaded for travel with water etc.

These michelins used to come on the 1/2 ton Suburbans on the back axle they were regularly run at 2300 pounds a tire and run at high speeds and yet never had failures. They were also driving the vehicle which puts even more strain on the tire.

Tire load ratings are a function of ply rating max pressure and application. The quality of the tire does not enter into it. I am sure you could put a D range trailer tire on one side and a P235/75 XL michelin on the other and keep adding weight until one side blew. I am sure the TT tire would go first no matter what its load capacity is. I am sure there are other 235 Passenger or LT tires that would work as well it is just that we have such a long positive track record with the Michelins I am hesitant to start experimenting with something different.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"The GVWR on new Airstreams is because the they use 2 5000 pound axles."

That's the best news. I've wondered for years how they ever got a 7300#GVWR for a trailer with two 3500# axles.

Bob
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
That's the best news. I've wondered for years how they ever got a 7300#GVWR for a trailer with two 3500# axles.

Bob
The GVWR is the max rating for entire weight of the trailer, tongue weight plus axle weight.

So lets do the math.
3500+3500=7000(axle capacity)+800(tongue weight)-300(WD shifted back to axles)=7500lbs
7500+500(unsprung weight tires, wheels, brakes, hubs, spindles not carried by axles so not counted against axle capacity)=8000lbs rated capacity
8000lbs-7300lbs=700lbs excess axle capacity.

Note:Numbers may not be exact and it is not my opinion this is how it should be done, just my opinion of how it is done.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The axles only have to carry the weight of the trailer. Not their own weight. The rims and tires must carry the entire load, minus the tongue weight. When you subtract 400-500 pounds of axle weight plus the 700-800 pounds of tongue weight. That's 1100-1300 pounds the axles don't carry. Even when the trailer is fully loaded and parked, the tongue jack carries the tongue weight.
If you have a trailer that has a loaded rate of 8000 pounds. And four tires rated at 2500 pounds each. 4 x 2500= 10,000 pounds. You have plenty of capacity in the tires.
There is a piece in this month Blue Beret magazine that is spot on for load and tire pressures. It gives recommended tire pressures for both "C" and "D" rated tires. Based on the load they are expected to carry. Not the max rating of the tire.
The idea being to have the load capacity and softest ride for the weight.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
(considering just load ratings)

It would be my opinion that

1) in the above example of 10,000# load capacity of the tires and 8000# max trailer capacity the tires are too muchcapacity for the load. (125%) One can deflate the tires to a point and the load capacity of the deflated tires will now be decreased closer matching the max load that may be enountered. And I don't always travel at max load so if my actual load was 90% of max or 8000 x 90% then that load would be 7200 #'s on tires rated for 10,000 #s. I would seek to purchase less capaciity in tires and that usually translates into less money as well. I would seek a total tire capacity of 8800 to 9200 #s.

2) In the other example where the axle capacity is 7000 #s' and the fully loaded static stand alone trailer weight is 7300 #'s. I would want to change the axle capacity to a greater margin. Like something greater than 8000 #'s.

Because if you can justify over spending on tire capacity to the trailer load then under capacity of the axle rating to the trailer load doesn't fit.

My thoughts above are not based on any engineering or factual data that I can give you a link or direct you to. I am not nor have I ever played on TV the part of an engineer except I do whistle on occasion when I am on track. My basis of being about 110 to 115 percent of the load is just my thinking. So far it has worked for me. I tend to be a cheap in many of my purchases and I have to continuely keep my self from paying too little because I go below that 110% threshold. I rarely want to spnd the $ to go beyond 115%.

So all of this is just me. It works for me. If it works or doesn't work for you I am good with that as well.

>>>>Action
Old 02-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The example I gave was just to make it easy to do the math. And you are right. Too much tire for the load. One needs to extrapolate the numbers to fit their particular situation.
A basic understanding of what the GVWR is as compared to the actual weight the tires must carry along with the weight carrying capacity of the tires and rims is essential.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote