Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Denver , Colorado
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post

Also, I am not a fan of odd brand tires. As it turns out, you did give us enough information to figure out who made them - Kumho.

Further down the thread you told us that the OE tires were P235/75R17 and the tires currently on the truck are P245/70R17. While that isn't the same, those are more or less equivalent.

So, I guess you are OK.
I hear you, and, well, I can't ask for much more of a prompt response than I have received on this forum, and in particular this thread (so thank you all responders). But, I'm probably not even at the dangerous level of knowledge at this point, I'm still too wet behind the ears. As you note, there are many kinds of tire sizes that fit on an F150. But, I don't know the relationship between the original size of the tire (235/75R17) and the new tires (245/70R17) other than to say they are close in outside diameter (2.7%). At what point would you say that they are not equivalent in diameter? And, how much would be too much?

I, myself, am not a fan of off-tire brands, but, as noted, these are rebranded Kumhos so are probably fine. I did not purchase these tires, they came with the truck that I purchased used. They are relatively new. And, given the amount I generally drive (in 11 years with my car I drove 50k miles...) I think these tires are likely to last a long time...

But, given the speed rating and load rating of these tires, and their deviation from the original tires (2.7%), and down rating for their application in a light truck, my towing load (5k max) and tongue weight (call it 700 lbs), and GVWR (7200 lbs) I still think I'm probably OK. But, yeah, that's why I'm here on this forum, because I just don't know enough. I'm good at evaluating data across fields but I just haven't seen enough to know all of the variables in this evaluation.

Alas, in some sense, I want to make sure that if something bad happens (crash) - I won't be held accountable because of the tires... Given my background as someone who is relatively competent in evaluating information, that makes me more liable, not less...

ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #30
I'm in the , US
Originally Posted by ukulele2010 View Post
........At what point would you say that they are not equivalent in diameter? And, how much would be too much?......
There are 2 issues:

Load carrying capacity - and never go lower is the standard response - and diameter - and I've heard 3% used as the dividing line.

- BUT -

There may be situations where there is a problem of rubbing on frames, fenders and suspension components - and you can't know them all until you measure everything - and even then, the worst case is with the suspension fully collapsed and the steering wheel fully turned (extremely difficult to do!)

CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote