Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I basically have these:

Pathfinder Sport SA/T

Overview

The Pathfinder Sport SA/T light truck design combines a smart balance of on-road handling and off-road traction. The durable, specialized tread compound resists chipping and cutting during off-road adventures and is backed by a 60,000-mile warranty. The tire's winter rating assures reliable traction year-round. The Pathfinder Sport SA/T is available in PLT and LT sizes ranging from 15 to 18 inches.

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Pathfinder Sport S A/T tires

I guess, according to this I could have either P or LT...
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=Sport+S+A%2FT

I'll have to go look at the tires again...
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele2010 View Post
I'll have to go look at the tires again...
Yes, these are P-rated tires - I looked near the rim at the bead and it says P245...
Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
It should have a Load Range letter listed on the tire sidewall as I mentioned.

These appear to be LT tires not passenger tires.
That is why they have a higher Max pressure.
You would not want to run these at 35 PSI pulling your trailer.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
My understanding is that there is no load range letter because these are P-rated tires. The tires do have a 108s for load index + speed rating. I would tend to agree that I would want higher pressure than 35 PSI when towing, but, based on my recent education on this subject from Capri Racer and Black Aces - 35 PSI is where the max load is designated for these tires. Higher PSI may change other variables of tire handling both for better and worse but not so much max load.

That said, I'm no expert; that's why I asked the question regarding all of these numbers...
Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
They are both incorrect in this particular instance.Your tires are not standard P metric passenger car tires that they are describing.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #26
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I see the problem. It is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
In this particular instance his sidewall shows max pressure at 51psi and has a stated max load rating printed on the sidewall so he does not have a standard P metric rated passenger car tire that has a industry standard rating of 35 psi max load rating.......
I'm sorry, but that is not true.

P metric tires are indeed maxed out loadwise at 35 psi - BUT - it is permissible to use higher pressures and to accommodate those, the tires will frequently quote max pressures of 44 psi or 51 psi, depending on what the tire manufacturer deems appropriate.

This way of doing things is unique to P type tires - both P metric and hard metric.

LT, ST, and other types of tires don't do things that way. They state the max load at the corresponding pressure - and don't state that pressure as a maximum. In fact you can use higher inflation pressures on those other kinds of tires, but it doesn't say so on the sidewall. It only describes a relationship.

So go to your car and check out what those tires say.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
It seems like moflash is stating that, "Your tires are not standard P metric passenger car tires that they are describing." and that Capri Racer and Black Aces are saying that these are, in fact, standard P-metric tires. I don't think we will have any agreement until that is resolved.

My guess is that these are standard p-metric tires based on the P245 near the rim and the load and speed rating. The tires have no ply-rating (but I don't know if there is a default value for non-rated tires). The tires also say that they are standard load which is a designation for p-metric tires that does not seem to exist for LT tires.

On the other hand, Moflash might not be saying these are LT tires, he may just be saying that these are not the standard kind of p-metric tires. I don't know how to evaluate that statement.

Which, of course, is why I started this thread to begin with - I don't understand the nuance of tires, tire-rating, tire-design, the relationship between tire pressure and load, and the various trade-offs thereof. The other question was - am I safe - and I think the answer to that is yes.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #28
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
........The other question was - am I safe - and I think the answer to that is yes.
I should have done this when you first posted, but there are some possibilities you are not safe. - but we don't know, because we don't know enough about your truck to determine it.

First, go to your driver's door and look at the vehicle tire placard. It will tell you the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size - and then tell us what it says.

In the process of trying to answer this question, I made some assumptions, and discovered there is quite a range of tires that came on F-150's - and it's possible that you could have the wrong kind of tire on your truck - and it is possible everything is fine.

Also, I am not a fan of odd brand tires. As it turns out, you did give us enough information to figure out who made them - Kumho. They are a greatly expanding Korean tire manufacturer, so I don't have any concerns there. But keep in mind that odd brand tires aren't always made the most reputable tire manufacturers.

Edit:

Further down the thread you told us that the OE tires were P235/75R17 and the tires currently on the truck are P245/70R17. While that isn't the same, those are more or less equivalent.

So, I guess you are OK.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post

Also, I am not a fan of odd brand tires. As it turns out, you did give us enough information to figure out who made them - Kumho.

Edit:

Further down the thread you told us that the OE tires were P235/75R17 and the tires currently on the truck are P245/70R17. While that isn't the same, those are more or less equivalent.

So, I guess you are OK.
I hear you, and, well, I can't ask for much more of a prompt response than I have received on this forum, and in particular this thread (so thank you all responders). But, I'm probably not even at the dangerous level of knowledge at this point, I'm still too wet behind the ears. As you note, there are many kinds of tire sizes that fit on an F150. But, I don't know the relationship between the original size of the tire (235/75R17) and the new tires (245/70R17) other than to say they are close in outside diameter (2.7%). At what point would you say that they are not equivalent in diameter? And, how much would be too much?

I, myself, am not a fan of off-tire brands, but, as noted, these are rebranded Kumhos so are probably fine. I did not purchase these tires, they came with the truck that I purchased used. They are relatively new. And, given the amount I generally drive (in 11 years with my car I drove 50k miles...) I think these tires are likely to last a long time...

But, given the speed rating and load rating of these tires, and their deviation from the original tires (2.7%), and down rating for their application in a light truck, my towing load (5k max) and tongue weight (call it 700 lbs), and GVWR (7200 lbs) I still think I'm probably OK. But, yeah, that's why I'm here on this forum, because I just don't know enough. I'm good at evaluating data across fields but I just haven't seen enough to know all of the variables in this evaluation.

Alas, in some sense, I want to make sure that if something bad happens (crash) - I won't be held accountable because of the tires... Given my background as someone who is relatively competent in evaluating information, that makes me more liable, not less...
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #30
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
........At what point would you say that they are not equivalent in diameter? And, how much would be too much?......
There are 2 issues:

Load carrying capacity - and never go lower is the standard response - and diameter - and I've heard 3% used as the dividing line.

- BUT -

There may be situations where there is a problem of rubbing on frames, fenders and suspension components - and you can't know them all until you measure everything - and even then, the worst case is with the suspension fully collapsed and the steering wheel fully turned (extremely difficult to do!)