Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So are there any known failures of the GYE tires yet?

Or am I going to have to re-think everything I thought I knew about ST tires?

It seems like the GYE have been out long enough for something to show up if there was a problem akin to the old model tire?

I bought new tires 2 years ago and did not get the GYE.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There have been a few threads discussing the GYE, and no extensive reports of failures IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=GYE&...=airforums.com

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sa-157249.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...re-179306.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...nt-179280.html

I have posted in that first thread after the search results. We are planning on getting GYEs soon.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There was a report on another forum about a post on another forum. No one could find the post on the original forum. So, have not found any reports of GYE problems. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I've had mine for about two years and have driven about 20,000 miles on them. They have performed great, and I've only had to add or remove air pressure because of altitude or ambient temperature.

However, I'm not all that impressed with the tread life, and I am replacing them with Michelins before our AK trip this summer. I hope to get more miles out of those. The GYE's still have enough tread that I can sell them locally to someone that would just use them on something like a utility trailer.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had lots of negative experience with GYM tires. Do not trust GY for any trailer tires now.

I will continue to use Michelin branded tires on all of my cars, trucks and trailers as I have not had a tire failure yet in nearly 50 years of using Michelin tires.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Well as the saying goes” When the rubber meets the road” will begin for my 2019 Sport 16 with GYE in about 4 weeks when I round trip it to Juneau Alaska from Alexandria VA.Im 85yrs and will have two copilots my mountain climbing daughter and one of her healthy friends.I’ll post how the GYE’s performed along with my TV a 2018 Mazda CX 9 AWD Signature trim.
Ron 34
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Or am I going to have to re-think everything I thought I knew about ST tires?

It seems like the GYE have been out long enough for something to show up if there was a problem akin to the old model tire?

I bought new tires 2 years ago and did not get the GYE.
I went to the GYE's on my new 28' last summer; no complaints after 8K miles all over the place in MT and in TX. (I did need to adjust the pressure down from 70PSI to recommended pressure for my weights on my AS to 50-55PSI per their chart to stop popped rivets and hinge/door issues.) I am pleased with these. I use to run Michelins when Michelin made an LT rated tire in 15" on earlier AS's I have owned, but they don't offer in a 15" anymore. I also tried the LTX P rated 15" Michelins on my 25' just before selling 2 years ago, and I could feel a "fading" type experience, I believe because the sidewall was just not strong enough for the AS. Other folks sware by the Michelins...I run them on my other vehicles, but didn't want to buy 16" wheels just to get the Michelins... The Endurance seem to have a good reputation so far everywhere I read about them, and I am happy...knock on wood!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Lander , Wyoming
GYE Failure

In the summer of 2017 I decided to replace my stock Marathon tires with GYE’s. On the first trip out with the new GYE’s I blew the passenger side tire about 150 miles from home. At the time I was passing a semi going up a grade on I-80, and the tire and the wheel were both destroyed. At the time I was running both GYE tires at 65 PSI. I took the remains of the destroyed tire to a Goodyear dealer in East Peoria, Illinois. Despite the fact that only shreds of the sidewall remained so it was impossible to determine why the tire had failed, Goodyear agreed to replace the tire for 1/2 price. I had already obtained a new matching rim from etrailer.com.

Since that time we have put at least 10,000 miles on both of our GYE’s without any trouble at all. I now run my GYE’s at 75 PSI.

I don’t honestly know if there was something wrong with the tire that blew, or if I hit something on the road that punctured the tread. I appreciate the fact that Goodyear agreed to pick up half the cost, when they could have easily told me it wasn’t their fault.
Wetfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wetfeet - that’s a bummer. I’m guessing the stock Marathons were the D rated ST tires so 2540# load capacity per tire. Even that feels like it’s cutting it very close on a single axle trailer with a GVWR of 5000#. I have no way of knowing if that’s the issue, if you ever exceeded the 65 MPH restriction on those, or if you hit some debris - just a bummer either way. At 75 PSI, you have about a couple hundred more pounds of carrying capacity per tire. If you aren’t experiencing any “trailer abuse” at those pressures, have you tried 80 PSI? That would give you a little more than a 13% cushion over your GVWR....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I like Michelin tires, and have them on my TV, but Michelin does not make a trailer tire.

You can argue that the truck tires will work if installed on a trailer, and the specs may offer some support, but the company, for whatever reason, does not recommend, nor will support putting them on a trailer.

It could be that the company does not want the liability, but that would be a curious stance given that they make tires for passenger vehicles. I would also think it likely that Michelin has the knowledge base to make a trailer tire, but they don't.

So that leaves me feeling uncomfortable putting Michelins on a trailer.

That leaves GYE as the only major branded tire widely available in these parts, and appears to come with the best warranty.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Everyone should run the brand they see as best for their budget, coach and travel style.

I'll stick with Michelins. They were identified as a good trailer solution long before the GYM crisis exploded on our highways.

Do the research and make your choice. Then get back out and roll. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Jackson Center uses Michelins on some models. Splain that.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
GYE.s have worked well for me so far. No complaints with about 15000 mi on them.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Jackson Center uses Michelins on some models. Splain that.
OK; Jackson Center uses 16" Michelins that are LT rated tires (Light Truck) and they are only on a few models; those AS's that have them are using 16" wheels....Michelin does not make them in 15" any longer... Hope that Splain's that? The 15" from Michelin that say LTX are not LT rated. P rated do not have a strong sidewall, which is what I was saying earlier....When I went from the LTX LT rated 15" on my 2008 25' they were great. When I installed the LTX P rated on my last 25' 2014 model, I detected some "fade" which the dealer told me may occurs; he did not want to install those tires. Today, Michelin does not offer an LT 15" in the LTX as they did several years back. Anyway, both wife and I could notice the feel /fade on the highway when going around corners after installation of these tires.

With our new AS 28, we replaced the Marathons with the Endurance last summer, after using our first season with about 10K miles on them. Dealer filled the new Endurance to 70PSI. We had popped rivets, broken latches and hinges, where the screws had pulled out. One trip we had a shower door on the floor that had pulled out, on another trip we had a closet door on the floor. Now mind you, all this after just having the Endurance installed for a couple trips inside MT; < than 2K miles. We contacted GY, lowered the pressure to 50-55 per our weight and GY tire chart for the Endurance, and we have not had any issues since.

Many here say "run max pressure" and you will be fine; I disagree and have experienced the problems mentioned. Nothing worse then arriving at your destination with screw and hinge or latch issues. Max pressure may work fine for some folks...but did/does not for me. After talking with GY, I use their recommended chart for the Endurance.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I like Michelin tires, and have them on my TV, but Michelin does not make a trailer tire.

You can argue that the truck tires will work if installed on a trailer, and the specs may offer some support, but the company, for whatever reason, does not recommend, nor will support putting them on a trailer.

It could be that the company does not want the liability, but that would be a curious stance given that they make tires for passenger vehicles. I would also think it likely that Michelin has the knowledge base to make a trailer tire, but they don't.

So that leaves me feeling uncomfortable putting Michelins on a trailer.

That leaves GYE as the only major branded tire widely available in these parts, and appears to come with the best warranty.
On our big truck s and trailers...we run the same exact tire on the trailersas we do the steering axle
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I went to the GYE's on my new 28' last summer; no complaints after 8K miles all over the place in MT and in TX. (I did need to adjust the pressure down from 70PSI to recommended pressure for my weights on my AS to 50-55PSI per their chart to stop popped rivets and hinge/door issues.) I am pleased with these. I use to run Michelins when Michelin made an LT rated tire in 15" on earlier AS's I have owned, but they don't offer in a 15" anymore. I also tried the LTX P rated 15" Michelins on my 25' just before selling 2 years ago, and I could feel a "fading" type experience, I believe because the sidewall was just not strong enough for the AS. Other folks sware by the Michelins...I run them on my other vehicles, but didn't want to buy 16" wheels just to get the Michelins... The Endurance seem to have a good reputation so far everywhere I read about them, and I am happy...knock on wood!
Would you like to give this " troll" from this topic.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...-193226-2.html
Your gawr's and number of axles and tire-specifications, so I can calculate wit my pigheaded system, a highest pressure, at wich no rivets comming lose, so we can compare that with your used 50/55 psi.
In that topic you gave 45 psi acording to the list, and you wrote using 45/50 psi.
If my calc comes to 70 psi, I have to adjust my idea, but think it will come to 50 to 60 psi.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Just finished the first 2,300 miles on our new Goodyear Endurance tires with no issues. I set the pressure to 64psi. It was so nice to travel at about 68mph, but be able to go faster when needed without fear of a blowout. With a tire monitoring system, I followed pressure and temperatures closely. On a GMC diesel blog that talks a lot about truck tire pressure. One recommendation was to mark the tires across the treads with a thick chalk marker that I found at the hardware store. Then check the mark in 800 ft. After several attempts and changes to truck and trailer tires, I found pressures that wore the marks evenly. It's not scientific, but I found it a useful tool. My GMC dealer has been under-inflating on oil changes. I found the tires wearing on the sides, but not the middle.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
A couple of observations. The GYE has been out for 2 years and I have not seen any claim on number of tires or miles exposure.
The normal expected life of ST tires is 3 - 5 years so we haven't even reached the "start" of end of life period.
Do you think it's possible that people who bought GYE might be paying a bit more attention to their tires or upgraded the tire load capacity when they switched?

How many folks running GYE are also running TPMS? How can we compare the performance of tires using TPMS vs tires not running TPMS?

I have no doubt that there have been fewer reports of problems but I have not heard anyone running a direct side by side comparison that does not include other mitigating and statistically confounding factors.

Tire comparison testing is not easy if all you do is put some tires in the field. I ran fleet comparisons for about 10 years with 250 to 300 vehicles running 30 to 60,000 miles a year. Tires were inspected by the same group of engineers every 4 to 6 weeks. Tests were usually a direct comparison of specification A vs Spec B with a minimum of 20 tires in each group.

It was still difficult or impossible to establish a strong correlation of tire robustness vs specification unless all the tires were run through a "cut tire autopsy" at the end of life with measurement of belt edge cracks to the nearest 0.125" and the statistical comparison of number and size of belt edge cracks was calculated.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
SACRAMENTO , California
LT or trailer tires

I'm no expert, but we switched to Michelin 16". We have a Bambi so the tire scrubbing issue is not one we deal with like on dual axle TTs. The big difference is that trailer tires should be replaced every 3 years (5 max) and light truck tires are 8 years. Given that I'll never wear out a trailer tire, I most likely won't wear out a light truck tire, either, but I'd rather get two to three times the life for only a little more money and reduce the tire waste at the same time.
johndorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
I set the pressure to 64psi.
Greg, two questions.
1. Which trailer -- the 25' or 30'?
2. Did you arrive at 63psi from the chalk marking, or a pressure chart?

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote