Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sidewalls scuffed....

I forgot to post this....

When we went out last weekend, I noticed that the sidewalls got scuffed a bit less than half way up from the treads. Nothing major, but I did notice it. The tires were at the recommended 65psi (all four of them). I noticed while towing that when I'd hit a bump the tire wold actually flex and it looked to me like the sidewall slumped a bit and touched the pavement. Did I see this correctly (mind you I think I saw it in my side mirror). At any rate, do the sidewalls get scuffed normally when on pavement only?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I don't think that your sidewalls touched the ground while moving, most likely it happened while maneuvering through the city (curbs), or possible while backing the trailer(scrubbing). You shouldn't have that much flex in your trailer tires under normal towing conditions. I think (?) trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls than normal tires to stand up to the stresses of parking (scrubbing) and the usually higher weight loads placed on them.

Having said that, you can have a distinctive "line" separating two different "colors" on your tire after towing. Thats usually just the way road dust settles on the tire underway. I got pretty freaked our about this the first time I noticed it. Thought my tire was delaminating. Tire shop thought I was pretty stupid, and I did too after closer inspection.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

BTW-like the avatar! Is that Eddie from Iron Maiden breaking out?

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
At any rate, do the sidewalls get scuffed normally when on pavement only?
Depends on how you're driving.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Depends on how you're driving.
Well, I kind of figured that part out....I mean I hadn't come in contact with ANY curbs, etc. Yet there was distinctive marks the entire circle of the tire starting from the tread inward about 3-4 inches.

Totally strange.

Not sure...just reminded me how a smiley can be deceiving.....
Old 04-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Well, I kind of figured that part out....I mean I hadn't come in contact with ANY curbs, etc. Yet there was distinctive marks the entire circle of the tire starting from the tread inward about 3-4 inches.
I was more thinking along the lines of hard cornering, perhaps even a full sideways drift. That could explain the wear marks on the tire sidewall. Surely you would not clip curbs.....
Old 04-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There was a good deal of wind (approx 25-30 mph), but could that actually make the sidewalls scuffed up about 3-4 inches from the treads? I was very gentle and didn't do any hard cornering.

Hope I don't wear the tires prematurely.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:08 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Eric,
Are the marks still visible? Can you post a picture or two?
I have the same tires, ( marathons) and the onlly time I see sidewall marks is when driving through grass or gravel.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is what's there...the streetside front is the worst, followed by the streetside rear...the curbside has no markings.....

I put some Armor All on the sidewalls in January when we had a 60 degree run and then covered them back up. You can see the near tread area that still has the shiney surface and then the dull surfaces on the sidewalls.....
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Looks a whole lot lke they mildly brushed against something while rotating, like a divider or curb. Perhaps at a gas station, or at the campground?
Maybe the armor all evaporated due to the temps in the sidewalls?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That part of the sidewall flexes more, and will tend to sling off additives, as well as generating a bit more heat, also causing any additives to go away.
You will get some scuffing in that area while twisting the trailer to park it, but that scuffing is distinctive as more of a scrape mark than what you show here.
I would keep an eye on them, just to be on the safe side, and refrain from making any wild, on two-wheels turns.
Just to give you more to think about, in the recent past, Armor-All had a serious problem with the use of the product promoting weather-checking on tires. They say they have fixed this problem, but I would still be leery of putting it on my tires.
I am thinking that you checked up in the wheelwells and made sure there was nothing up in there that was able to rub the tire. Yes?
Terry
Old 04-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Silvertwinkie,

Your tires do not flex to the point of sidewalls scraping on the highway, particularly at 65psi. If you look back and the trailer is going from side to side and you are about to lose it, maybe then but, the force to roll a tire off the rim is significantly above anything normal. A big chuck hole might come close to deflecting a tire to the point of the sidewall touching but, you will probably break a belt.

What I see from your photo is a browning, oxidizing sheen, on the sidewall just above the line where the tread pattern ends. This is more or less at the point where the tread compound ends and the sidewall compound starts. At times you will see what I refer to as a weathering line.

The only treatment I am aware of that is not recommended is cleaners such as Bleach White. Sidewalls only have so much oils and antioxidants compounded into them so why speed up the process of leaching them out with powerful cleaners.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks all. I'm gonna keep my eyes on it. As I think of it, I did have the fresh tank full (39 gal) and it was windy on the trip back home with the wind pushing on the curbside at almost 30mph. Part of the road wasn't the best getting there, though I was careful not to hit curbs or potholes.

Oh yea, and loose the Armor All too.