Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
An exception to this advice: I cannot inflate my tires to the maximum allowed pressure on the sidewall since it would exceed the maximum allowed inflation pressure of my wheels. My E rated tires' sidewall says 80 PSI max. My wheels say 65 PSI max.

You need different wheels.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thank you!! I have mentioned that in the past and have been ignored. Good info.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sharp Turns: Blowout Cause?

One thing I have always wondered about is high altitude driving. I remember my first trip to Colorado and the bag of Potato chips that we brought from St. Louis. At we climbed in altitude from Limon Colorado to Denver, we watched that bag of chips swell up. I realized that as we climbed, the air pressure was lowering. The pressure inside the bag of chips remained the same as their fill location, thus with less pressure pushing against the bag, it swelled up.

So taking this thought to tires, the question comes to the same sceneiro. If I were to check the tire pressure would the internal pressure be higher reflecting the lower atmospheric pressure due to altitude? Sort of the same question in reverse, checking tires at cool temps and higher altitudes, when I hit the hot afternoon in Kansas should I be checking tire pressures after coming down to lower altitudes?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You need different wheels.
Your statement is an opinion, not a fact.

The E rated tires' capacity is overkill for my Safari.
Wheels have held up fine in the 16 years they have been rolling.
I'm happy with what I have. YMMV
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sharp Turns: Blowout Cause?

Trailer tires are to sidewall max in TT applications. And wheel rating needs to match or preferably slightly exceed tire rating. Tires and wheels need to be a match.

You might want to review what constitutes "fact". Your mismatch is bad practice, but it's your trailer.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
To original poster - If I were you I would replace the tires now, with 12,000 miles on them and an off brand. To me just not worth the possibility of the tires losing it and having an accident.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In most cases running an E rated tire lower pressures reduces the load capacity. I ran E's on my Classic and if I had run them at 65 psi, the load capacity would have been the same as my Marathons that were D rated. AW Warn, I'm just curious why you went to E's? I don't know in all of the tire talk whether the extra ply strength of an E translates to a benefit at lower pressures. I know I went to E's to be able to run higher pressure which gave the tire more load reserve.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
It is a good idea to stick with ST tires which are designed to withstand side wise stresses such as found in tight turns. Last I heard Michelin does not make ST's. I run Good Year Marathons and have had good service in spite of the fact that to back into my driveway from a narrow street I have to angle the trailer almost to the point of jack knife, So far my tires have not been a problem doing this.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
In most cases running an E rated tire lower pressures reduces the load capacity. I ran E's on my Classic and if I had run them at 65 psi, the load capacity would have been the same as my Marathons that were D rated. AW Warn, I'm just curious why you went to E's? I don't know in all of the tire talk whether the extra ply strength of an E translates to a benefit at lower pressures. I know I went to E's to be able to run higher pressure which gave the tire more load reserve.

Jack
The load capacity of a D and E at the same pressure, in the 60 PSI range, are basically identical. Since the E rated tire allows higher inflation pressure, its maximum load capacity is increased above a D.

There is more than one reason I went with the tires that I did.
(1) When I went to the Airstream factory I asked what they recommended for my trailer. What they offered me that day were a GYM D or a Power King Tow Max D or E.
(2) The dealer I use near my home recommended the Power King Tow Max E over the other tires he sells.
(3) I liked the stiffer sidewall.
(4) The cost difference between D rated and E rated tires was very little.
(5) The E rated tire at 60 PSI far exceeds the load requirement needed for my trailer

I've towed my Safari about 10,000 miles on these tires in ~4 1/2 years. There is very little evidence of wear. I would replace them with the exact same tire without worry. Though, I am considering Michelins next time. I will be replacing the tires next spring, due to age.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
The load capacity of a D and E at the same pressure, in the 60 PSI range, are basically identical. Since the E rated tire allows higher inflation pressure, its maximum load capacity is increased above a D.

There is more than one reason I went with the tires that I did.
(1) When I went to the Airstream factory I asked what they recommended for my trailer. What they offered me that day were a GYM D or a Power King Tow Max D or E.
(2) The dealer I use near my home recommended the Power King Tow Max E over the other tires he sells.
(3) I liked the stiffer sidewall.
(4) The cost difference between D rated and E rated tires was very little.
(5) The E rated tire at 60 PSI far exceeds the load requirement needed for my trailer

I've towed my Safari about 10,000 miles on these tires in ~4 1/2 years. There is very little evidence of wear. I would replace them with the exact same tire without worry. Though, I am considering Michelins next time. I will be replacing the tires next spring, due to age.
Alan, Thanks for the explanation and your rationale.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lakeview , Arkansas
Curious. With the tpms do you adjust psi throughout the day or just leave it from the AM check. Traveling from Moab to Panguitch I saw a 10 psi gain once on the road. Dave

WBCCI # 1959
Black 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
2015 23D International Signature (Salsa)
Stella our Bull Pointer mix
Airborne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Leave the pressure at "cold" morning recommended pressure. Don't adjust throughout the travel day. What tires and pressure are you running. 10 PSI is quite a bit, unless your are running 80 psi cold.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
An exception to this advice: I cannot inflate my tires to the maximum allowed pressure on the sidewall since it would exceed the maximum allowed inflation pressure of my wheels. My E rated tires' sidewall says 80 PSI max. My wheels say 65 PSI max.
You are correct re wheel max.
In your case LR-D might have been a better investment as LR-E gives you almost nothing since it is the inflation that carries the load and that affects the Interply Shear.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
One thing I have always wondered about is high altitude driving. I remember my first trip to Colorado and the bag of Potato chips that we brought from St. Louis. At we climbed in altitude from Limon Colorado to Denver, we watched that bag of chips swell up. I realized that as we climbed, the air pressure was lowering. The pressure inside the bag of chips remained the same as their fill location, thus with less pressure pushing against the bag, it swelled up.

So taking this thought to tires, the question comes to the same sceneiro. If I were to check the tire pressure would the internal pressure be higher reflecting the lower atmospheric pressure due to altitude? Sort of the same question in reverse, checking tires at cool temps and higher altitudes, when I hit the hot afternoon in Kansas should I be checking tire pressures after coming down to lower altitudes?

Jack
Sorry to sound like a broken record but I have 3 Blog posts that mention Altitude (Elevation) and one has the math for those so inclined to demand the "proof". You might want to link to the blog and use the "label" system or the search box (upper left) to see if the answer has already been covered.