Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Separation on tread face

GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Please, tell us more...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
would if I could

I've been trying to add a couple of photos, without success, to show what the results of tread separation looks like on the tread face before tire failure. I discovered it when getting ready for spring. I'll keep trying to get the photos up. Sorry about the delay.
GreggH
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This might help:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...tml#post612569

Richard

Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
I think I've got it

OK. First, thank you Richard for the link.
While getting the Tin Inn ready for travel I did my throrough spring inspection and came across this GYM on the front, curbside. That bald spot, according to my tire dealer, was caused by tread separation. The rest of the tire was ok, just this one bald spot. My last thorough inspection was in the sping of last year. The bald spot was on the inside and even though I check over the tires before every trip I never saw this spot before so I only know the tire was good last spring so don't know how long it took to get like this. The tire date was 3907. My "thorough" spring inspection includes raising each side of the trailer to adjust the brakes and test the break away switch and this year repack bearings; this is when I found the bald spot. I know pictures help me more than descriptions so thought this might help others like me. Also learned to be more vigilant on future tire checks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5334.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	123563   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5333.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	123564  

Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
That must have been a bumpy ride. What type of tiress are these?

Richard

Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
look like Marathons!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
They are Marathons. No, it didn't affect the ride at all. The bulge of the separation was worn smooth to the tread of the rest of the face of the tire so there was not actually a bump, it just kept wearing down and I guess would have eventually let go at some point.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
My tires were starting to look like that, although not as severe. Looked like they were cupping all the way around. New running gear has solved the problem.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Frustrating

Over the Winter, there have been 6 Airstreams that I've seen this on at least one tire. When I told the owners of the trailers, they seem to think I'm trying to sell them something. The response has invariably been, "Okay, thanks. We'll probably get some new tires next Fall".
So there are at least a half dozen of these roaming around the Southeast. I only hope the tires last until Fall.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I've seen a couple of Goodyear Marathons that looked like this, in photos on this site and on our own Airstream. This is not actually separation (yet); it is from "pounding", caused by an out-of-balance tire and/or wheel/running gear. This might have been preventable if discovered earlier by rebalancing the wheel and tire or using Centramatics. However, it's too late for that now; and being a Marathon, I'd say this was probably inevitable. Please note that I am severly biased AGAINST Marathons, having had both OEM Marathon tires fail after only 2-3 years.

You are lucky you found this when you did. This is an indication of overheating, and here in the desert southwest, tread creep and separation would only be a couple of hundred to 1,000 miles away, especially in the summer.

If I saw these on our Airstream, I might try to make it a few hundred miles in cold weather, at slower speeds, to the next big town to have them replaced. However, I definitely wouldn't try to go another summer on them.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggH View Post
While getting the Tin Inn ready for travel I did my throrough spring inspection and came across this GYM on the front, curbside. That bald spot, according to my tire dealer, was caused by tread separation. The rest of the tire was ok, just this one bald spot. My last thorough inspection was in the sping of last year. The bald spot was on the inside and even though I check over the tires before every trip I never saw this spot before so I only know the tire was good last spring so don't know how long it took to get like this. The tire date was 3907. My "thorough" spring inspection includes raising each side of the trailer to adjust the brakes and test the break away switch and this year repack bearings; this is when I found the bald spot. I know pictures help me more than descriptions so thought this might help others like me. Also learned to be more vigilant on future tire checks.
This looks like a belt has let go internally, but not reached the point of tread separation yet, however it shouldn't be long. I'm not so sure if any sort of balancing would have prevented it.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
There are many other irregular wear patterns on that tire.

Several small sections clearly show uneven wear, that typically is caused by "lack of proper running gear balance", along with the possibility of a bad shock absorber.

Installing Centramatic balancers, is the cure for the balancing problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Andy,

Does the use of Centramatic balancers preclude the need to balance each tire/wheel, or is it in addition to ensuring the wheels/tires are balanced?

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Andy,

Does the use of Centramatic balancers preclude the need to balance each tire/wheel, or is it in addition to ensuring the wheels/tires are balanced?

Drew
Drew.

Centramatics eliminate the need to balance the running gear, as long as the hub and drums are reasonably balanced, such as the "unicast" type, which is what your Airstream has.

They also continuously rebalance as you travel every mile, so that the balancing is always on "target".

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
I've had Centramatics on the unit since I owned it. I"m skeptical lack of balancing caused that wear. I'll certainly monitor tire wear closer in the future though.
GreggH
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I've had Centramatics on the unit since I owned it. I"m skeptical lack of balancing caused that wear. I'll certainly monitor tire wear closer in the future though.
GreggH
Centramatics can only balance to a point.

As an example, if the assembly was, for sake of discussion, 3 pounds out of balance, the Centramatic would help, but it would not fix.

I would suggest you check the wheel hub and drum assembly, for a large out of balance. That could also cause the same problem.

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Installing Centramatic balancers, is the cure for the balancing problems.

Andy
So centramatics are not the cure for balance problems? Funny how your explanation of the cause of this is somehow different when he stated that the unit had centramatics installed. So what you are saying is that centramatics are no substitute for dynamic balance of the rotating assembly?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
So centramatics are not the cure for balance problems? Funny how your explanation of the cause of this is somehow different when he stated that the unit had centramatics installed. So what you are saying is that centramatics are no substitute for dynamic balance of the rotating assembly?
Centramatics cannot solve an exception to the rule, and I never said they would.

The rule being way way out of balance.

But again, to each his own opinion.

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Your Airstream, a 1972 model, could have hub and drums that are as much as 3 pounds out of balance.

Dynamic balancing, I don't think, could correct that amount, since where would you put all the lead weights?

Milling the drums down, is a huge liability.

In that case, replacement of the hub and drums are in order, at least if a smooth ride for the trailer is desired.

But, each owner is free to do as they wish.

Andy