Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Andy,

Does the use of Centramatic balancers preclude the need to balance each tire/wheel, or is it in addition to ensuring the wheels/tires are balanced?

Drew
Drew.

Centramatics eliminate the need to balance the running gear, as long as the hub and drums are reasonably balanced, such as the "unicast" type, which is what your Airstream has.

They also continuously rebalance as you travel every mile, so that the balancing is always on "target".

Andy

Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
I've had Centramatics on the unit since I owned it. I"m skeptical lack of balancing caused that wear. I'll certainly monitor tire wear closer in the future though.
GreggH

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggH View Post
I've had Centramatics on the unit since I owned it. I"m skeptical lack of balancing caused that wear. I'll certainly monitor tire wear closer in the future though.
GreggH
Centramatics can only balance to a point.

As an example, if the assembly was, for sake of discussion, 3 pounds out of balance, the Centramatic would help, but it would not fix.

I would suggest you check the wheel hub and drum assembly, for a large out of balance. That could also cause the same problem.

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Installing Centramatic balancers, is the cure for the balancing problems.

Andy
So centramatics are not the cure for balance problems? Funny how your explanation of the cause of this is somehow different when he stated that the unit had centramatics installed. So what you are saying is that centramatics are no substitute for dynamic balance of the rotating assembly?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
So centramatics are not the cure for balance problems? Funny how your explanation of the cause of this is somehow different when he stated that the unit had centramatics installed. So what you are saying is that centramatics are no substitute for dynamic balance of the rotating assembly?
Centramatics cannot solve an exception to the rule, and I never said they would.

The rule being way way out of balance.

But again, to each his own opinion.

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Your Airstream, a 1972 model, could have hub and drums that are as much as 3 pounds out of balance.

Dynamic balancing, I don't think, could correct that amount, since where would you put all the lead weights?

Milling the drums down, is a huge liability.

In that case, replacement of the hub and drums are in order, at least if a smooth ride for the trailer is desired.

But, each owner is free to do as they wish.

Andy
Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your Airstream, a 1972 model, could have hub and drums that are as much as 3 pounds out of balance.

Dynamic balancing, I don't think, could correct that amount, since where would you put all the lead weights?

Milling the drums down, is a huge liability.

In that case, replacement of the hub and drums are in order, at least if a smooth ride for the trailer is desired.

But, each owner is free to do as they wish.

Andy
My trailer has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.
Let's get back to the OP's trailer. It is a 2005 that you stated
"Centramatics eliminate the need to balance the running gear, as long as the hub and drums are reasonably balanced, such as the "unicast" type, which is what your Airstream has."
The only reason I commented on this post was because your story flipped when the OP stated that he already had centramatics installed. Just admit you shoved your foot down your throat.

Now for my opinion. I have never used Goodyear Marathon tires. Based on all the "tread separation" threads here on Airforums and the other trailer forums, I doubt I will. I don't believe that centramatics can in any way affect a tire that has a belt break. Radial tires do this. Goodyear Marathons seem to do it an awful lot. Some people have great things to say about the GYMs. To each his own.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote