Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Most punctures are slow leaks and as such they can be seen before tire failure. This means inspecting all 4 tires EVERY TIME you stop and take a leak or get gas, walk around the trailer and at least look at the tires. If one is low you will see it. Feel of them. If one is hotter than the other the pressure probably low, the brake is sticking, or you have a bearing problem. Look at how the trailer sits in the rear view mirror. If you have a bad tire, the trailer will lean to one side. I agree with CapriRacer. It looks like it ran flat for a while. The side wall is chewed up. Now I have seen some tires on here where the tread comes off the tire. In that instance, I would say it was a tire defect or damaged tire. This being said, I don't like ST tires.

Perry

Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A tire can blow today because it was run low three minutes ago or three years ago.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges View Post
I had a feeling the brake wire problem was a stretch. I am happy they found it though, It was very subtle but I had to increase the setting on the brake controller lately. We will see if this fixes it.

I pick the trailer up tomorrow. Right now the fractured tire is at Goodyear for "X Ray Inspection". Who knows, Maybe I will get a new one, if we go across country again, I will probably trade them all out, I don't know. We had 90% good luck with Marathons and 10% bad, give or take 90%.
best way to find out if elec brakes are working..

find a dirt or gravel road you can make some speed on..

put strips of blue painters tape on tires you need a couple to 4.

have someone standing along side the road and away for the trailer and come blasting by and slam on brakes.. the wheels should stop rolling and the person can see this with the tape on tires..

now do other side..

there you have it. thats how we check the horse trailers.. without horses of course..
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #46
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just a clarification on the tire condition known as "Run Flat". The term is used to describe a near or complete loss of inflation pressure - which is not the same as "Underinflation" as a condition. That is the symptoms that a tire has been run underinflated do not include the breakage of ply cords - a key difference.

And, Yes, the borderline is indistinct.

Plus, it only takes a short distance for a tire with a severe loss of inflation pressure to develop the symptoms of a Run Flat - in some cases, we are talking a couple hundred feet.

So while checking tires every time you stop is a good idea, there will be cases where a tire is punctured and the driver may not know about it soon enough to prevent a catastrophic tire failure.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I had a patch fail on my Ranger tire right after I hit a railroad crossing. I heard it leaking and pulled over just in time to not ruin the tire. It also started raining about that time and I was in a bad part of town. I don't know why the plug patch failed. Those are usually pretty good. If it has been on the trailer, I would not have heard the leak.

Perry
Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I had a patch fail on my Ranger tire right after I hit a railroad crossing. I heard it leaking and pulled over just in time to not ruin the tire. It also started raining about that time and I was in a bad part of town. I don't know why the plug patch failed. Those are usually pretty good. If it has been on the trailer, I would not have heard the leak.

Perry
A few years back most tire shops stopped using Plugs and went to interior patches. I think the reasoning for the change is summed up in the word "Usually"

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They use a mushroom shaped patch now that has a plug for the hole and a patch on the end of the plug.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Second Blow Out, Gremlins? Chinese Tires?

It failed due to improper prep, glue, or it was defective.

A properly applied patch should never peel.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What do you expect from Sam's club. I need to take my wife's car back because the flat they fixed on her car has a slow leak. I have to put air in it about once a week.

I hope my Z rated tire patches don't fail at 130.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It failed due to improper prep, glue, or it was defective.

A properly applied patch should never peel.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Jnerges
Thanks for pictures
My first call would be Run Low Flex. This is based on circumferential line of failed body cord
If you Google "blowout real life experience" you will see an analysis of a GY failure on Airstream

or Google "china bomb pothole" for general info of the theory that the street address is one cause.

You did not mention confirming the load on each tire is uniform or that the axles are in alignment or what your "cold inflation" is.
Clearly you are not running a TPMS

All of these comments address the probable cause and preventive action you might want to consider.

jcanavera
Has pictures of different problem with different results. Doing a "Free Spin" inspection will quickly find these issues before they become a problem. I would suggest age, cumulative overload/underinflation/speed generated the excess heat that accelerated the degradation of the rubber around the belts.
5 years may be pushing the limit if you are running anywhere near the max tire load. I suggest at least a 10% margin and of course stay at 60mph and below. Faster than 65 is like running your engine past the Red Line on the tach.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Flat tire

Goodyear says that a tire 20% under inflated is a 'flat tire' and needs to be dismounted and inspected for damage if has been driven that way. Something to consider.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I know this is going to cause all sorts of issues but I have to run the tires on my Ranger truck with low pressures like 30 psi in the front and about 25 psi in the rear. Otherwise, the center of the tire wears out first and I get about 30k out of 60k tires. Now if the truck was loaded I would probably put 35 psi in all 4 tires. Under inflated to me means the tire is wearing on the outside edges. Temperature measurements on each side and in the middle will tell you what is up. If the sides are running hot, the tire is under inflated. If the center is running hot the tire is over inflated. The proper pressure is a function of load. The center of the tire can overheat if the tire is over inflated as well. Also tire construction plays a role. Cheaper tires tend to bulge more in the center and sometimes you can't lower the pressure enough to keep them from wearing in the center.

Perry
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I know this is going to cause all sorts of issues but I have to run the tires on my Ranger truck with low pressures like 30 psi in the front and about 25 psi in the rear. Otherwise, the center of the tire wears out first and I get about 30k out of 60k tires. Now if the truck was loaded I would probably put 35 psi in all 4 tires. Under inflated to me means the tire is wearing on the outside edges. Temperature measurements on each side and in the middle will tell you what is up. If the sides are running hot, the tire is under inflated. If the center is running hot the tire is over inflated. The proper pressure is a function of load. The center of the tire can overheat if the tire is over inflated as well. Also tire construction plays a role. Cheaper tires tend to bulge more in the center and sometimes you can't lower the pressure enough to keep them from wearing in the center.

Perry

Perry, Please do not confuse what happens on your Ranger with what should be done with a trailer and especially a multi-axle trailer. If you get your Ranger on a scale when normally unloaded and compare the actual loads on each tire with the load capability of the tire I bet you will see that you are running 25% or more UNDERLOADED.
Your trailer when loaded normally (with all the stuff you carry) I think you will see the tires are loaded closer to the max capability of the tire.
The other point is that trailer tires cannot rotate "pointed" at the center of the radius. As a result there are internal tire stresses that run about 24% higher than a tire on a motorhome or car or truck. I have written extensively and in technical detail on this on my blog.

Trailer tires should have the cold inflation set to the pressure on the tire sidewall. If you look at your placard I think you will see that this is what Airstream recommends.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't run trailer tires. I run car tires on my trailer and run the at near max. If in ran E rated trailer tires at 80 psi, I would shake my poor trailer to death. I believe trailer tires to be junk and belong on my garbage trailer.

Perry