Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I posted this over on a TPMS thread. Maybe this will explain why I am so adimate about this subject....or not

"Guys, I'm not trying to be arnry, nor am I trying to say that TPMS temps are no good. I am saying that I have found noplace where I can find a correlation between the reading and what actual temps are where it matters, at the shoulders and across the tread ON THE INSIDE, where the bonding of tire components are.

Measuring the sidewall (where???) may very well match the air temp in the valve stem, but how do those temps correlate to the temp at the shoulder...and what is your baseline for accepting your readings elsewhere as normal? And what IS normal at the shoulder? The only readings I can find concern NASCAR and on Hoosier tire site refering to racing tires and conditions. Not a good comparison.

See the graphic below: The temps of the middle of the sidewwall don't change much, but they claim that 14* can make a difference at the shoulder??????? These are questions.....I don't have the answer, but we need a baseline for normal, regardless of how or where we measure."

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermal_heat.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	170687

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g

I agree Jason, I believe (what I am trying to figure out) is that there is a proper pressure rise, for each tire size/brand/type, where that rise will be 4 PSI, (again, under my climate, geography, and speed).

My THEORY, and only a theory at this point, is that the automakers do EXTENSIVE validation testing on tires and the behavior we can note with TPMS vs. load. vs speed, etc., we should be able to translate over to the AS where we are deviating form OEM tires and be able to answer these nagging proper pressure questions. (How's that for a run on sentance?)

I think that (especially those of you with lighter rigs) can find that 4 psi mark, and reduce pressure till you see a rise greater than that, then back up to the pressure where you just see 4 psi (or your number for your climate, speed.....that you normally see on your properly inflated TV). At least you will be running the temps that an OEM automaker has deemed good to go. That's a lot more than we have to go on with our AS questions.

I just haven't found it yet on my rig...and I am not sure why, based on the info above.
One problem is if you change climate you have to change tire pressure. I live at 7000 ft and can change climate in 20 min and again in 1 hour or less depending which way I drive. . I don't want to have to change my psi while traveling so I am finding that happy medium. This is my first trip with the new tires and I may lower the psi back down to 60 psi on the way home and see if there is a difference in ride or psi gain and temp. I will let you know.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
One problem is if you change climate you have to change tire pressure. I live at 7000 ft and can change climate in 20 min and again in 1 hour or less depending which way I drive. . I don't want to have to change my psi while traveling so I am finding that happy medium. This is my first trip with the new tires and I may lower the psi back down to 60 psi on the way home and see if there is a difference in ride or psi gain and temp. I will let you know.
Agreed. your baseline pressure will always need to be adjusted due to weather and other environmental conditions. When and how much to compensate is each of our choices.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I found something. Have no idea as to the credibility of this read. Capriracer....care to share your knowledge as to these temps and how we may interpret them using infrared on the outside of the tire shoulder and using TPMS (both the pressure rise method and stem air temp method)?

Why Temperature?

(is there an error in #2 sub section 3? Shouldn't those be Ferenheit figures, not Celcius?)

Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I read the things you posted from the Silverado Owner's Manual. I have been driving 1500 Chevy trucks for the last 30 years or more. I have about 1,000 miles on my first 2500. (always drove Fords before) What I noticed early on about the tires on the Chevys, especially on the 4 wheel drives, was the tires always were worn more on the outer edges before the end of the tread life at the center of the tire. Balance or alignment was not the problem. After many sets worn this way over the years, on the advice of a friend, I started adding about 5 PSI above what was on the door placard. (still below the max psi on the sidewall) Once I started doing this I always got even wear and an extra 5 or 10,000 miles on the tires. The ride was better too. I'm a believer in this, and will continue to do so.
My experience is in agreement with AWW - if the tires are uniformly worn on both outer edges of a single tire (front or rear), more pressure is needed for even wear. If, however, (as is most visible on 4wd lugged front tires) there is wear only on the outside or inside edge of a single tire, it is most likely an alignment problem. In several other threads, issues have arisen about uneven tire wear on the TT. Isn't out of alignment another source of heat / rise in tire pressure? I have been told that misalignment of TT axles is mostly over looked.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
My experience is in agreement with AWW - if the tires are uniformly worn on both outer edges of a single tire (front or rear), more pressure is needed for even wear. If, however, (as is most visible on 4wd lugged front tires) there is wear only on the outside or inside edge of a single tire, it is most likely an alignment problem. In several other threads, issues have arisen about uneven tire wear on the TT. Is out of alignment another source of heat / rise in tire pressure?
Certainly, scrubbing will raise temperature.

http://www.infraredimagingservices.com/left-tire

This is a great reason to carry a infrared thermometer and measure across the tread face; right center and left.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #107
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
......I am, however, confused by this statement. I had always understood, and TireRack states (for whatever that is worth) that the correlation is 1psi = 10 degrees, irrespective of the starting pressure.....
That only applies to passenger car tires.

Yes, yes, I know. Tire Rack doesn't say that - but they should!

Again, up to a 10% rise in pressure is OK regardless of the starting pressure. (and I checked with some other extreme tire pressures - like 300 psi for aircraft - and it works there as well.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
dznf0g

since you've got such an interest in tire pressure i was wondering if you've tried filling the tires with nitrogen? your customary detailed reporting would give it a lot of credibility.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
That only applies to passenger car tires.

Yes, yes, I know. Tire Rack doesn't say that - but they should!

Again, up to a 10% rise in pressure is OK regardless of the starting pressure. (and I checked with some other extreme tire pressures - like 300 psi for aircraft - and it works there as well.
OK! finally! So when I find that point where 10% is met, I have arrived?

For example:

65psi with 7 - 9 rise is a little low
70psi with 7 - 9 rise ....maybe...

If I try and see

75psi with, say 7 - 8 psi rise is perfect.

FYI, I did find a site (upthread) that says 1 psi/10 degrees for passenger tires

and

2 psi/10 degrees for "truck and RV tires"
But it was a class 7/8/9 truck tire site. What do they consider LTs? Passenger or "truck" ?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Capri, Could you provide any insight on the questions in post #101?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #111
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
OK! finally! So when I find that point where 10% is met, I have arrived?....
No, no, no. The 10% should be considered a maximum before action is taken - not a target. In street tires, cooler is always better.

Oh, and those other posts that folks have been requesting comment on - I'd like to think about those a bit. I'll comment later.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
No, no, no. The 10% should be considered a maximum before action is taken - not a target. In street tires, cooler is always better.

Oh, and those other posts that folks have been requesting comment on - I'd like to think about those a bit. I'll comment later.

So what is the target on LTs, if they are different than P metrics?

And.... why is it common and normal to see a p metric with a 4 psi rise and a cold pressure of 35psi per the placard with no load in the bed running solo?

Sumptins' sqwuee, again.

What am I missing?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
dznf0g

since you've got such an interest in tire pressure i was wondering if you've tried filling the tires with nitrogen? your customary detailed reporting would give it a lot of credibility.
Didn't mean to ignore you, I posted and it didn't take??????

richinny, I can't even figure out air.....and you want nitrogen???????
It'll be an interesting experiment, if we can ever get a logical answer to air.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
lol, from what i read you should get less variance in the pressure due to temperature. i'm hoping it would make things easier on you :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
[QUOTE=richinny;1217186]lol, from what i read you should get less variance in the pressure due to temperature. i'm hoping it would make things easier on you :-)[/QUOTE

I am not an expert, and I'm too lazy to do the math. However, if this is true, it seems to me it would be a very slight difference. I am certain this slight difference would vary depending on the humidity of the air you inflated the tire with. This has a lot to do with the fact that air is 78.09% nitrogen. If you Google nitrogen in tires, you will find a lot of results, the vast majority dedicated to debunking the benefits. I have no stock in either a air or nitrogen company so I don't care. However I do have a degree in Atmospheric Sciences (Meteorology) so I know a little about how gases work. Some would tell you that I also have a lot of experience in the production of hot air.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=w7ts;1217203]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
lol, from what i read you should get less variance in the pressure due to temperature. i'm hoping it would make things easier on you :-)[/QUOTE

I am not an expert, and I'm too lazy to do the math. However, if this is true, it seems to me it would be a very slight difference. I am certain this slight difference would vary depending on the humidity of the air you inflated the tire with. This has a lot to do with the fact that air is 78.09% nitrogen. If you Google nitrogen in tires, you will find a lot of results, the vast majority dedicated to debunking the benefits. I have no stock in either a air or nitrogen company so I don't care. However I do have a degree in Atmospheric Sciences (Meteorology) so I know a little about how gases work. Some would tell you that I also have a lot of experience in the production of hot air.

Ken
From what I have read, and know, I tend to agree with you. It is a moneymaker though. They got my 92 year old father with these claims and about $50 of this money. Like he's ever going to drive over 50 mph....and somehow air worked for him for some 75 years!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
However I do have a degree in Atmospheric Sciences (Meteorology) so I know a little about how gases work. Some would tell you that I also have a lot of experience in the production of hot air.

Ken
I produce a lot of hot air too, and my wife complains about it all the time

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I produce a lot of hot air too, and my wife complains about it all the time
I think we are talking about opposite ends of the body.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #119
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Well, I found something. Have no idea as to the credibility of this read. Capriracer....care to share your knowledge as to these temps and how we may interpret them using infrared on the outside of the tire shoulder and using TPMS (both the pressure rise method and stem air temp method)?

Why Temperature?

(is there an error in #2 sub section 3? Shouldn't those be Ferenheit figures, not Celcius?)
Yes, I think there is an error there.

I also think this web site - which is all about trying to sell a TPMS - exaggerates things. I think that tire explosions due to elevated temperatures (auto igniiton) are incredibly rare. I'm not buying their premise.

I think having a tool like this might be helpful in correlating surface temperatures with internal temperatures (and pressures).
Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #120
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
So what is the target on LTs, if they are different than P metrics?....
There is no "target". There is only a trigger level where action should be taken.

- and no, it isn't different between the 2 types of tires (or any tire, for that matter).

Quote:
........And.... why is it common and normal to see a p metric with a 4 psi rise and a cold pressure of 35psi per the placard with no load in the bed running solo?....
I don't think it is. If folks are getting this type of thing, the engineer in me would want to investigate further to make sure this is what it is claimed to be.