Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I assume you meant your TT tires are LT225/75R16 LR-E. Are your TV tires LT275/65R18 LR-E ?
Yes, those are the sizes, but of course I have no way to measure the moisture content of the air in the tires, and it's just air, not pure nitrogen.

But after reading your next to last post, I will again state my concern....my hotter running tow vehicle tires have less pressure gain than my cooler running travel trailer tires. Seems contradictory to me, but as I read what you guys are saying, my IR temp gage is the culprit, and should not be believed?
Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #42
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
...But after reading your next to last post, I will again state my concern....my hotter running tow vehicle tires have less pressure gain than my cooler running travel trailer tires.......
Steve,

The problem here is that you think that a tire with a higher temperature IN ONE SPOT is hotter everywhere - and that is not true. There can be significant temperature differences around the tire and because they are caused by different things, they can be different between different tires even though they are operating in the same environment.

Quote:
..... Seems contradictory to me, but as I read what you guys are saying, my IR temp gage is the culprit, and should not be believed?
No, it is likely reading what the temperature is in that one spot - and the same spot on a different tire may be different.

Try this as an experiment. Take IR readings at the tread center, tread shoulder, mid-sidewall,, rim edge and wheel center. Do it for all 8 tires. Did you get the same values? Are they consistent?

Prediction: You already know the tread surfaces are different, but I'll bet that as you move down the tire, they will get closer, and the wheel centers will also be different.

Please note: you should do this as quickly as possible as soon as you come to a stop so everything doesn't have a chance to cool down. It might be good to have an assistant write while you call out the numbers.

Oh and let us know the results. It will be educational for many who visit this website.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Well, actually there are 10 tires, but I will do the test as you say. I have been measuring the temps at the mid sidewall.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #44
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Well, actually there are 10 tires, but I will do the test as you say. I have been measuring the temps at the mid sidewall.
Woh! Even worse than I thought.

Here's Tireman9's web page that has some great images of tire temperature.

RV Tire Safety: What do you think about temperature guns? Part 1

Enjoy.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

I would be surprised if you don't discover the mid sidewall is the coolest area.

Please remember IR guns work great on heat conductive material like metals or liquids but not so good on insulators such as rubber or plastics.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I will again say, (for me) the IR thermometer is only really good for comparing one tire/wheel/hub assembly to its neighbors in order to give an indication of a possible issue with that "corner".

Deriving empirical data form readings is very inaccurate, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
So are you guys saying that my test of making a capital L with my hand and laying it on the sidewall and up and over onto as much tread as my skinny fingers can get, and if it hurts too much from the heat pulling it away, but if it isn't too hot....is not a valid test? Well Shucks

I figured if I could lay my hand on it and it didn't feel too hot, then I'd probably be OK. If it burnt the @#$@#$@ out of me, then I had problems.

I'm running Load Range D tires rated at 2337lbs at 65psi. I run 60psi. I'm not sure what the knockdown would be...but I have six of them and the trailer grosses at 9600lbs....probably more like 11,000lbs with all the "stuff" "She Who Must Be Obeyed" packs. But I've run it at pretty good speeds, put about 20,000 miles on it in this configuration, and have had pretty good luck.

I might upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels. But, the Maxxis UE-168's I've been running seem to do well. They are NOT an ST tire. They are a commercial tire but also have an ST rating. I guess they put more UV junk in the sidewalls.

Oh, and I'll throw this out there....it may be heresy...but I had my first set of Michelins take a....we'll call it a fail. They dry rotted at two years old and 35,000 miles. Never seen this in a $40 tire, much less a $300 one. Michelin 17" all seasons on a Ford Fusion. They just started disentigrating. I was getting ready to buy a new set of tires and thought "Hey, they're not that old, car is under warranty, maybe these are covered." Well Henry Ford told me to take a hike but I called Michelin, and they were pretty cool about it. They said to take it to a dealer, have them measure the tread depth, they'd work some math on age vs. mileage and give me a credit toward new ones. And they did. So she's got a new set of Michelin booties on her that are actually a higher end model than the ones that went bad. I have run Michelins and BFG for 25 years and never had any issues like this. The dealer, though, told me they have seen lots of Michelins have this dry rot issue. Well, at least it's not a fast blowout kind of thing.

I have an Avion, and don't know how the tire opening compares to an Airstream. I'm currently running Maxxis UE-168 Commercial Truck Tires in 235/75-15. I'd like to upgrade to a 17" and run E rated truck tires. But not sure I can fit that. 16" is worth considering...but man it's a chunk to buy six new wheels. I may just get another set of UE-168's.

I cannot speak for any other Maxxis tire. They may all be junk. From all I have seen, I would not own a set of plain ST tires. But these 168's have been great.

Cheers,
Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Jim, I seem to recall that Michelin had a compound problem (lack of UV protectors, IIRC) on some line(s). But I don't know the details any longer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #49
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
So are you guys saying that my test of making a capital L with my hand and laying it on the sidewall and up and over onto as much tread as my skinny fingers can get, and if it hurts too much from the heat pulling it away, but if it isn't too hot....is not a valid test? Well Shucks .....
No, No! You're misunderstanding what we're saying. We are saying that there are differences between tires and that pressure build up and tire surface temperature aren't well correlated. We are NOT saying tires won't get hot!

We are also saying that it would be better to measure pressure buildup and get an accurate picture of what the number is. Armed with that information, one can make a better decision.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Capri, I follow you. I was trying to make a dumb engineer joke Well, my wife never gets my jokes either....

To be serious for a moment, this is a pretty interesting thread.

Hey,Ii thought I was funny
Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Jim golden, you can buy regular steel wheels for you're Avion for around seventy dollars. Of course you would need wheel covers or hub caps to brighten them up. Come on white or black. Sixteen inch six and a half bolt pattern and zero offset. I believe that is correct. I use maxis load range e tires on fifteen inch rims now.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
If someone wants to more accurately compare actual running tire temperatures I suggest you buy and mount internal TPMS that will give the temperature reading of the contained air. You would also need to initially place all the sensors in an oven at say 150°F to confirm the variation in the temperature readings.
To often people do not think through all the variable in a comparison test before forming a conclusion.

I dare say that even the IR readings of the two fronts and two rears are not identical on a series of say 5 test runs.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
One of the functions of tire load inflation tables is to assist the RV trailer owner when replacing tires with optional sizes including plus sizes that may not be listed on the trailer’s certification label or in it’s owner’s manual.

Inflation pressures for the Original Equipment (OE) tires were set by the trailer manufacturer and can be found on the certification label, tire information placard, or in the trailer’s owner’s manual. Deviation from the trailer manufacturer’s recommendations for OE tires is like playing with fire. Sooner or later it will burn you.

The tire industry standard for replacement tires is to maintain the load capacity capabilities of the OE tires. That is achieved by setting new recommended inflation pressures for the replacement tires that equal or exceed the OE tire recommended load capacity.

BA
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Steve as for the pu tires running warmer than the trailer, maybe you have more heat around and under the tv, than the trailer,as on my truck and pup when bitter cold ,the soil in the pup will freeze sooner than the truck because of engine, transmission and the rear end heat...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TV tires always run about 10F hotter.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote