Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thanks for the info. Peace,Jim

Old 04-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I would think that a large percent of the people here were not born yet when radial tires first showed up.. The reason they were odd back then is they looked like they were almost flat with a fat wad of tire next too the ground.. They were made to run like that over a bias tire. One reason they got 2 times the tire life is the side walls could flex a little and offset tracking issues.

With that in mind and running Michelins LT on our old Overlander,, I carry about 1/2 the max pressure as the side wall states as they are carrying about 1/2 the rated load.. I want the tires to flex over bridge seams as much if not more than the torsion axles would have too..

If one followed the high pressure movement ,, it all got started with the EPA back in the mid 1970s to raise MPG that 1/100 of a mile per gallon.. For that reason I much better pump another gallon of fuel into the TV every stop than replacing a tv,,, microwave,, or beat out my new axles needless.. FYI I have almost 40k on my tires and they have worn about 30%.. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Are you guys checking tire temps with infra thermometers. If they run hot they will blow.

If I remember correctly you don't want your tires getting over 135F. As I remember in summer tire temps get to about 122 check temps on all tires, if one is getter significantly hotter than the rest you better check air pressure.
That is interesting.

In the summer around here 120 air temps are not un-heard of during the early afternoons of late June. Getting another 15+ degrees into the tires I would think would be common place

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My infrared reads commonly 40* above ambient measured between tread blocks at shoulder.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I took several tire temp measurements on a trip last year, and the trailer tires were consistently 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the truck tires.

I was at the time trying to determine if any of the six trailer tires were running any hotter than the others, and they were not.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
I have no idea if I'm running my 16" mich LT tires at the right pressure or not. I have them set to 65 psi cold. My TPMS system pressure increases to a it 75 when warm and the internal temp seems to stay within about 5-7 degree of ambient once it gets to 75 psi. Does that seem about right?
Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have been told by tire "experts" if your hot tire pressure increases more than 10%, you started with too low pressure when the tires were cool.

However, we've all heard the definition of an "expert".
Old 04-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, I always heard the same thing, but my AS Michelins will gain 8-9 psi whether I run them at 65 psi or 80psi. No they are not overloaded either. About 1900 lbs per tire

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I recently found this website (Polo.com Vinatage Airstream Page) for One-Of-A-Kind Ralph Lauren Airstreams. Each vintage Airstream trailer is offered at $150,000. Proceed to be donated to charity!

Adirondak Caravel - Sold for $150,000
Main Page - Features Page - More Pictures

Nautical Bambi - Sold for $150,000

Utility/Surplus Airstream - For Sale $150,000

Western Bambi - For Sale $150,000

I really like what they have done. I think these units are works of art! That a way to go Ralph Lauren!
Doug,
TPMS measured at the stem area will be considerably cooler than the shoulder area rubber. That is the hottest part of the tire that we can measure. A probe sticking into the rubber is the most accurate, but that is destructive.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure what in the world happened when I tried quoting Doug ' s text on my phone????

Old 04-06-2015, 02:27 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
If I remember right there was a thread here written by a guy who worked for one of the big tire firms and retired? I think he said when you get above 140F you better be pulling into a dealership as it was getting ready to fail.

A friend who runs motorhomes was checking his temps with IR thermometer and checked the temps on a friend's rig with him. He told the friend one tire was getting ready to fail, owner kicked it and said it was OK and 75 miles down the road it came apart.

On new tires I check at 50 miles, 100 miles to get an idea of how things are progressing and all are within 3. The tires I got from Tredit were made in Taiwan? I did 3400 miles trip on them. I can't tell any wear difference in any of them and they still have the bumps on them on the outer edges with I think 6000 on them now.

I also carry my own 120V compressor I got from sears with a wet sump pump and put Mobil 1 synthetic in it. It weighs about 40 lbs I guess and I have a 25 ft hose on it. Before I hit the road coming home I check pressures cold and adjust as needed.

I figure if they did not want 80 in them they wouldn't put 80 on them. That is what my TV calls for so I have 80 in everything cold.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Doug,
TPMS measured at the stem area will be considerably cooler than the shoulder area rubber. That is the hottest part of the tire that we can measure. A probe sticking into the rubber is the most accurate, but that is destructive.
Thanks Rich - I will try to remember not to stick any probes into the sidewalls..... Your comment on the temp differential seems to make sense though. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Sounds like some inaccurate recollections and misunderstood information.

If Hummer is talking about me ( Retired Tire Engineer ) I doubt I ever said 140F indicated immanent failure. Now maybe I answered a specific question and said something like 140 above ambient was way too high.

BUT this also raises the problem/question of what temperature you are talking about.
Tire surface temperature as read by an cheep IR hand gun or internal air temperature and measured by an internal TPMS or inflation pressure air in the valve stem measured by an external TPM or rubber temperature internal tot he tire structure when measured with a needle probe.

My internal TPM give me hotter temps than my external TPM by about 5 to 8F. The TPMS give temp range of 10 to 15 hotter than ambient unless things like rain or wet road are involved.

No single simple answer.

The use of a probe MAY be destructive but not if you have been properly trained. This is how we get the most meaningful temperature on race tires but if you are not careful you can turn a $400 tire into scrap if you do it wrong.
I have a number of posts on both Temperature and Infrared on my blog with comparison test data if you are interested.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #28
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just like Roger, I want to emphasize that the internal temperature of a tire is the important value and you can NOT measure it. What IF thermometers read is the EXTERNAL temperature and that may have a lot to do with the road surface temp. It is not uncommon for road surfaces to reach 120F. Then again, they could be well below freezing!

The most reliable way to get a handle of where you are is by pressure buildup. Anything less than 10% is good - and anything over 15% needs to be dealt with immediately. Please note: 10% is NOT a target!! It is an upper limit.

So those folks who have IF devices, try to correlate the pressure buildup to the reading you get from the tread surface. I'm sure it will be highly variable and weather related.