Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Run Flats

What do you think about Run Flat Tires for the trailer? I have never had a vehicle with them so I have no experience on how they perform in the event of a flat.
AS Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are currently no run flat tires available for travel trailers.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
As Overlander pointed out, there aren't any RunFlat tires available for travel trailers - not in the correct size, nor with enough load carrying capacity in a different size.

Because of the way this works, RunFlat tires are generally high performance, fast wearing tires. They tend to be hard riding - partially because they are high performance tires and partially because of the stiff sidewall that a RunFlat tire requires. They tend to wear quickly - partially because they are high performance tires and partially because they are OE (Original Equipment) tires where wear is not an important criteria.

They tend to be low profile - partially because they are high performance tires and partially because high profile doesn't work as well with the construction needed to make the tire a RunFlat.

They require a different wheel to work properly - one with an enhanced safety hump to keep the tire on the wheel when the tire is completely deflated.

They are also require a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), because you can not tell when a tire has been deflated.

The net effect is that RunFlat tires are only offered as OE (Original Equipment) and OE/Replacement (the same tires as the original, but offered in the replacement market) - and there aren't a lot of vehicle manufacturers specifying RunFlat tires on their vehicles.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
While not available for trailers, I can vouch for their function. I had the left rear tire go on our Z4 last summer on dry pavement and a straight section of road at about 50 mph. Since the top was down, I heard it first, then the dash indicator lit, and I felt a very minor momentary drift. I slowed down, drove home, order a new set and drove it in for replacement. All very civilized.

The challenge was finding a shop that had the equipment to mount run flats. Apparently the heavy side walls require special tooling. They are expensive compared to standard tires and, if they ever become available for trailers, you'd want a pressure monitoring system, or you may not know if one failed - even on a single axle trailer.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We had a thread up on run flat inserts. TYRON.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote