Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Run Flat Trailer Tires?

I've been reading up on run-flat tires that are becoming more common for automobiles. Since my 16' Bambi is single-axle, it seems like run flat tires would be an ideal way to reduce worries about a tire blow out with only 1 wheel on each side.

Has anyone found anything on run flat tires for trailers? I have searched the internet, but only find run-flats in sizes more for high-end or performance autombiles. The Bambi has 215/75R14 tires. Just curious if anyone has found something that I missed.

My plan with the current tires is to add some kind of tire pressure monitors that might give a warning while underway, and to replace the tires waaay before they are worn out - it's not mainly the cost, I'm worried if I ever had a blow-out it might turn me off towards Airstreaming!

Thanks
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The TPM system would probably be the best thing at this time.
Run-flat tires are not currently available in any size approaching what we would need for our coaches, not to mention the correct weight rating. If they were available, they would most likely cost around $1000 for a pair. For that much money, I will check my tires every time I stop for gas or food...
Old 01-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
flat tires

I was looking at the less schwab tire store on line for my pickup tires and noticed that they are offering a foam filling that they claim will prevent flat tires... check that out and post what you find ... im in the same situation
on bad tire and we may be causing serious damage to persons and or property... not a good way to spend a holiday...

Dan
nor-cal
team argosy
Old 01-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
here's a link - www.lesschwab.com
Old 01-22-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Run Flat Trailer Tires?

RDM16CCD
The type of tire failures that I experienced were belt seperations. I was enabled to catch the failures very early on because of the Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitering System I had installed previous to my last two trips. The first failure occured on Interstate 64. The alarm sounded and I pulled over to the side and watched the tire go from not looking bad(the monitering system said that I still had 20 PSI of air in the tire) too a flat tire. I am convinced that the majority of tire failures are not blow outs but belt seperations that create a fast leak that is not caught (in the absence of a Tire pressure monitering system) until the tire disentegrates and causes damage to the trailer etc. It was the best money I have spent and I am A frugal (cheap) type unless the advantage of spending the money for an upgrade or enhansement can be demonstrated (safety, reliability, preventing serious damage ETC). The Pressure Pro System is not the only one out there. It is the only one that I can talk about because I own one. As more and more come on line, the price will drop.
Its your decision.
Jim
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote