Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member
2003 22' International
Somerville , Alabama
Thanks for letting me know you experiences... I am going to add a rivet or two in the area around the door....

By-the-way, I pulled this trailer for 11 years (approx 22000 miles) with a chevy 2500, without a weight distribution hitch and never lost a rivet. The first pull with my new sierra 1500 with a Husky Centerline (with the lightest bars they make: 500lb to 800lb) and I loose 2 exterior rivets. Its easy to jump to the conclusion that the weight distro hitch caused it, but the pull was from Alabama to South Dakota over some rough roads in between.

BamaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Pop Rivet Test Vehicle is now a Ford F350 4x4

All seven of my popped rivets have been secured with:

(Buildex Teks Lath Screws- #8 x 1/2" Phillips #2 bit to secure properly)

Using a hand held battery screw driver, these Lath Screws appear to be very securely attached to the frame member where pop rivets were missing. These lath screws also blend in very well with the aluminum interior. Adds.... character.

I will watch these substitutes for pop rivets closely for any problem in these high stress areas of my trailer.

I am now using 16" Michelin LTX AT2 E rated tires on the Trailer as part of this Test Period. Same Equalizer hitch.

Popped rivets is a difficult problem to solve unless something drastic was done... and traded in our 2012 Toyota Tundra for a truck with the same tires, same Equalizer Hitch being used and discovered... that with some minor hitch adjustments... a 2016 Ford F350 4x4 diesel will be my 'Popped Rivet TEST Vehicle'.

I appreciate all of your pro and con arguments. It was a tough decision to go so far as finding an appropriate 'Test Vehicle' for future use and test these Lath Screws versus Pop Rivets. Without your contributions to this Thread, I would have never suspected that a Ford truck was the 'cure' to my problem.

My heart soars like a bird... and the Snug Top has been ordered as part of this Test Period.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote