Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Right Side Tires Wearing on the Outside Edge

I just arrived in Fairbanks, AK from Long Island, NY via the Alaska Hwy with our 2006 25' Classic. Traveled 4500 miles since tire rotation, inspection and Dyna beads were install. I got a good look at my RIDE SIDE tires and they are wearing on the outer edge. Left side tires are fine. All the tires had even wear prior to trip. A wheel alignment was performed at JC in 7/09 prior to going to Madison, WI for the Int'l. Tires are GY Marathons 22/75 15 LR D. Have about 10,000 on tires.
I think I need a wheel alignment. Can anyone recommend or know an RV/trailer alignment shop up in Fairbanks or Anchorage? I'm going to starting checking tomorrow AM and call AS to see if they have any recommendations. We are going to Denali NP for a week then down to Anchorage. I will have to replace one tire ASAP before we travel anywhere.

Mark

Old 06-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I would hate to see you replace a tire prior to alignment. Are the belts showing on the outside edge. If not, can you reverse the tire and make it to Anchorage if you had to. Just a thought.

I am leaving next week to make the same trip. I am bringing along two extra tires. One mounted and one extra just in case.

Do you think the roads knocked an axle out of alignment front to back since only one side is wearing.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I called my AS mechanic from the former RV Legends in Waterbury, CT. He recommended that I check to see if there is any wobble in the wheels(bearings lose) and if the bolts attaching the axles to the frame are tight.
I called AS service in JC and get there answering machine. I'll leave a message now that I have the last 4 of the VIN.
I will try to check underneath the camper for the above mentioned items.
The AK Hwy is fine for the last 150 miles. Just take your time and slow down when you see small red flags on side of the road or a road sign for a bumpy road service.

Mark
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
tire wear

Do you have the running gear properly balanced?

Andy
Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Andy,

Yes. I had the rig checked out at Can AM RV after the Region 2 Rally. Andy Thompson personally me.
I called AS Customer service. No recommendations for trailer alignment companies.
Called Dexter and was given the name of 6 Robblees Inc in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Will call them when they open this morning.

Mark
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Kind of wonder if the tires have broken belts? There was a pic on here or RV net recently of a broken tire with tread severely worn on one side. Wouldn't an out of alignment axle affect both sides?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Kind of wonder if the tires have broken belts? There was a pic on here or RV net recently of a broken tire with tread severely worn on one side. Wouldn't an out of alignment axle affect both sides?
Not necessarily as each side is aligned separately.

Andy
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Not necessarily as each side is aligned separately.

Andy
Andy is right on. The axles are not only aligned to each other, but to the ball as well. When we had our alignment problem last year, two of the four tires were pretty much OK, however, the left rear tire showed excessive wear, and the right front had to be replaced.

Alignment and balance are both very important, and, fixing one will not do anything for the other.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
UPDATE:

Went to a highly recommended(by the NW US and Alaska Dexter supplier) trailer repair company, Bulletproof Industries in Fairbanks, AK. We careful raised the trailer up and checked the axles and mountings. They were fine. No play in the bearings. Final check was the spindles-they were bent. I met folks coming down from AK that bent their spindles. Nothing unusual as per the manager at Bulletproof. The trailer tires get caught in a curvy snake like rut and the as you pull out of it, the spindle can get bent. Trailer goes in one direction the wheel goes and follows the contour of the rut. Something gives and it was the axle. I have traveled with a light trailer(minimum fluids and supplies) and very slowly on those bad sections and still it happened.
Prognosis: The labor cost and shipping to replace the spindles would be more than the cost of a new axles. I purchased 3($109 a tire for Westlake LR 'E') new tires(one as an extra, already have a spare) and had them mounted on the right side. I will see how fast it takes for them to wear out. The difference in the ride is not going to matter the tires are sacrificial anyway. I have a ProPressure TPMS. I will have to replace them again as the trip continues. I was planning on stopping by AS in JC anyway. I called them and will have them order new axles once I can give them a date of my arrival.
To quote Forrest Gump, "Sh-t happens".