Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Replacing 15" Bias tires on my 1972 31 Sovereign

I know this is a touchy subject and I have read the horror stories about tires, but I am trying to figure out what tires will be the best to put back on my original steel wheels. ie: not sure on the load limits etc. My WIFE wants the original baby moons (clip style rim) that came with it back on her girl or else. I have read so many threads on the good and bad. If someone can give me the good on which tire will work radial or Bias I would be in your debt so that I can make my wife happy.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Ask your wife.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
I know this is a touchy subject and I have read the horror stories about tires, but I am trying to figure out what tires will be the best to put back on my original steel wheels. ie: not sure on the load limits etc. My WIFE wants the original baby moons (clip style rim) that came with it back on her girl or else. I have read so many threads on the good and bad. If someone can give me the good on which tire will work radial or Bias I would be in your debt so that I can make my wife happy.
If you want to go back in time & technology, then buy bias ply, if you want a good chance of failure, then buy chinese made tires, if want something good, buy something with great reviews. Do your research.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Go with radial tires. I like Firestones. They make a good fifteen inch tire with the proper load rating. Do a search on the subject.....more info than you can imagine. Jim
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Since you have 15 inch rims I would strongly recommend that you get a light truck tire (usually stamped LT) from a reputable manufacturer such as Michelin (there are many excellent tire manufacturers so stay away from the junk.) I believe that the Airstream Eddie Bauer models have always been outfitted with Michelin LT tires and Airstream is transitioning all of it's models over a certain length to the LT tires. Trailer tires seem to have a bad reputation for blow outs and the like. It's just not worth the risk of damage and injury to run a cheap tire on your Airstream.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Radial or biased ST tires we have seen are all Chinese made. We have been looking into the Yokohoma RY 215, sized 7R/15LT. Good load poundage. They are extremely pricey, around $172/ea
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Before any of the above get your trailer weighed with as close as max weight as possible. Full tanks - water, black and grey water & propane, camping gear and anything else you drag around.

Then do make the assumption the trailer will gain weight as she ages. Trust me that happens!

Once you have that figure make sure the tires you select has a combined load rating of 10 to 30% greater than that number AND that number does not exceed the load capacity designed into the trailer. GVWR

After that you can start your tire search knowing the tires you select will be up for the job and not far under capacity or over capacity. This is a Goldilocks kind of thing. Not enough and a vacation may be cut short due to a blow out and trailer damage. Too much and the trailer may pound the asphault, not too mention you paid for more tire than you needed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
There is a Pilot/Flying J just off of I-24 South of Chattanooga. There may be closer scales and that one would work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Replacing Bias Ply Tires response

Thanks for the responses, Colin I have been doing research and so far I have been told and read about all the cheap tires, thats why i was hoping someone had good luck with a descent tire. Coloradobus the tires you mention have been suggested due to their durability, Action I will get it weighed and the Flying J is about 30 miles from me. AnnArborBob and zigzagguzzi thanks for the positive input, will look into both. It seems their is always a wise crack when posting a article, thanks R Carl it keeps the spirit going.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Radial or biased ST tires we have seen are all Chinese made. We have been looking into the Yokohoma RY 215, sized 7R/15LT. Good load poundage. They are extremely pricey, around $172/ea
I have those Yokohoma tires on my camper and I can say they are heavy duty and high quality. I don't ever worry about my tires now. Running st tires have cost some people $7k.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
Thanks for the responses, Colin I have been doing research and so far I have been told and read about all the cheap tires, thats why i was hoping someone had good luck with a descent tire. Coloradobus the tires you mention have been suggested due to their durability, Action I will get it weighed and the Flying J is about 30 miles from me. AnnArborBob and zigzagguzzi thanks for the positive input, will look into both. It seems their is always a wise crack when posting a article, thanks R Carl it keeps the spirit going.
Just looking out for you.

Tags
sovereign