Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Rochester , New York
Repaired tire

Any advice on how long to run on a professionally repaired tire on my 28ft AS?
They are Goodyear Marathon's with 8,000 miles & had a slow leak from a screw in the tread.
jimgillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It should be fine until it wears out unless it was driven flat or low for a long time.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Wasn't a Marathon, but another brand of ST tire that I had plugged, and then ran it to Alaska and back on a 23', and it did good. Sold the trailer after the trip with the tire still on it, so I don't know how long it went.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A good patch job is forever.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Here's what the tire manufactures have told us:

A tire that was dismounted and had a patch plug installed in the center treads, not in the two outer tread bands, should be good for the remaining life of the tire. Possibly with a reduced speed rating. Punctures should not be repaired in the outer tread bands as the flexing of the sidewall and scrubbing of those treads will be more likely to loosen up even a properly installed patch plug.
If the tire was plugged on the trailer with a string type repair this is a temporary fix and you should think about having the puncture redone with the more permanent patch plug.
There is some concern with just an internal patch not filling the puncture and letting water infiltrate into the steel belts and causing damage inside the carcass.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Say the tire manufacturers whose business it is to sell tires.

They started that outer two groves crap about ten years ago.

This day I own about 500 tires that are mounted on vehicles and are on the ground, I have never seen a properly applied patch fail, whether it is in the center of the tire or near the edge.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

This day I own about 500 tires that are mounted on vehicles and are on the ground, I have never seen a properly applied patch fail, whether it is in the center of the tire or near the edge.

The worst that will likely happen is the patch might loosen and you have your slow leak back.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

Sure glad you have the test data to demonstrate to the court that your smarter than every tire company and the DOT engineers.
Just too many variables when it comes to repairs to get away with blanket statement such as
"Well I plugged a tire in the mid sidewall and it never blew out so plugging in sidewall is OK"

I understand it's possible to jump from an airplane and not have the parachute open and not die. I'm just not willing to play those odds. Are you willing to cover any damage that occurs if someone follows your advice?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgillio View Post
Any advice on how long to run on a professionally repaired tire on my 28ft AS?
They are Goodyear Marathon's with 8,000 miles & had a slow leak from a screw in the tread.
Courious what you mean by " professionally repaired". I have seen many supposedly professional people do bad and dangerous repairs.

The same folks that say to limit patch/plug or "combi repairs" to the center 2/3 of the tread say that plug only repair are not approved and will void any tire warranty. But hey what do they know

Would you or J. Morgan want to drive on this tire?

Maybe this one?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Repaired tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sure glad you have the test data to demonstrate to the court that your smarter than every tire company and the DOT engineers.
Just too many variables when it comes to repairs to get away with blanket statement such as
"Well I plugged a tire in the mid sidewall and it never blew out so plugging in sidewall is OK"

I understand it's possible to jump from an airplane and not have the parachute open and not die. I'm just not willing to play those odds. Are you willing to cover any damage that occurs if someone follows your advice?

So you are saying that the fact that tire companies are in the business of selling tires has nothing to do with the notion that an otherwise perfect tire should be scrapped because it has a small puncture inside one of the outside groves?

Is it possible that you being in the business of selling tires might sway your objectivity as well?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Repaired tire

By the way, did I mention a plug in the sidewall or was it just you that did that?

And By the way again,,,, have you properly applied a patch that has fallen off tireman?

And By the way yet once more, is that break in the tire representative of a small leak like the op asked about? Is it the same as patching a puncture outside of the center of tire or is that a different kind of damage?

Does "professionally repaired" imply that the tire was repaired with a patch or a patch/plug?

It does in my mind.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
[The same folks that say to limit patch/plug or "combi repairs" to the center 2/3 of the tread say that plug only repair are not approved and will void any tire warranty. But hey what do they know]

They are the ones that gave us the ST tire.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I ALWAYS opt for patches or patch plugs.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Do you think the hot patches bonded better?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I don't know, those were before my time. i never saw one used.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 AM   #16
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

Not repairing a radial tire in the shoulder area (commonly delineated as the outermost rib) has been around for quite some time - I'm guessing about 30 years. However, it has been re-emphasized because of the Ford/Firestone thing a few years back.

Why exclude that area? Because that is where the belt edges area and the belt edges are the most highly stressed area in a tire. (a side note for those interested: The typical belt leaving belt type separation - commonly called tread separation - starts at the belt edge.)

And it has been known for a long time that it isn't just the repairs that fail in repaired tires. Sometimes the tire fails somewhere else as a result of running the tire low in pressure. Inspection of a tire before it is repaired can eliminate some of potential failures.

Why a plug/patch combination? The plug doesn't reinforce the damaged area. A plug is also more prone to leakage. A patch by itself does bridge and reinforce the damaged area, and does a great job of sealing, but doesn't prevent outside contaminants from entering the tire's structure (especially water and the steel belts!)

Bottomline: There is a risk in running a repaired tire. The risk is greater if the repair isn't done correctly. The risk is greater depending on how long and how severely under inflated the repaired tire was before it was repaired. The risk is greater than for a tire that didn't need a repair. The problem here is the the frequency of a repaired tire failing is low, but the consequences can be quite severe.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I cant say I have ever seen any tread separation that was the result of a flat repair.

Most always it is a result of being run low on air pressure, an impact, (new or old) or manufacturer defect.

The Explorer/Firestone thing is interesting. Take a vehicle manufacturer who produces a top selling yet ill handling SUV, that wants to spend as little as possible on tires with a vendor they have done business with for a hundred years....

Here is my take on the "politics" of the situation.

Tires were blowing out on these vehicles at a rate fairly consistent with that of other vehicles, but the Explorer being unstable in ways that many of it drivers were unfamiliar started having serious crashes as a result.

Ford had more and better lawyers than Firestone, they had a greater ability to "guide" public opinion on this matter, and they had the moxy to see that the governments investigation primarily fell on Firestone which was sacrificed in the process.

The tires probably were marginally substandard for what they were used for on the explorer, but Ford chose these tires. Ford walked away relatively unscathed, Firestone was destroyed, and the government wrote new standards to fix things that were not the cause of the failures, (because that is what government does).

Flat repairs didn't cause the explorer thing, an ill handling vehicle did.

I think that the safety risk of running a properly patched/plugged tire is much, much, much, lower than getting food poisoning from a restaurant.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
J. Morgan is mostly correct. Firestone wasn't blameless, but Ford got away with one over that issue. Why NHTSA didn't go after them is beyond me....after all....they were exposed for shedding relevant documents. Thus the TREAD act was born. Now database files are transmitted to NHTSA monthly and examined and stored there as well as at the auto manufacturers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I don't know, those were before my time. i never saw one used.

In the 70's I used to hang out at the gas station and watch them clamp those patches to the inside of tires and light them with a match.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
J. Morgan is mostly correct. Firestone wasn't blameless, but Ford got away with one over that issue. Why NHTSA didn't go after them is beyond me....after all....they were exposed for shedding relevant documents. Thus the TREAD act was born. Now database files are transmitted to NHTSA monthly and examined and stored there as well as at the auto manufacturers.
The same reason they didn't have to fix the auto trans shifter that slipped out of park if you didn't engaged it into park firmly. Many times it felt it was all the way into park and would slip out. Our 64 galaxie was that way and I know other years was the same way.