Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Questions about tire pressure, etc. on 25' Classic

See sig. for what I am dealing with Today I did "deep cleaning" of the front windows outside......noticed that the tinted wings are rimmed with rubber so they supposedly are to fit tight. Mine are not contoured correctly and leave a gap near the hinges --actually Thor was consistent--neither side fits properly. Of course every GM car I ever owned had gaps between hood/trunk lid and fenders, etc. that was not equal.

On the tire pressure.....I have Marathons and apparently the dealer had them inflated to 52 lbs. I raised them to 57 lbs. Is this OK? My reasoning is/was that the 6300 gvwr trailer now weighs in at 7400 lbs. Where is that Marathon chart?

What is that drain for in the refrigerator compartment? (outside, you can see it when you open the finned door--I vacuumed The drain is closed with a screw in plug--it is black--it looks like a mini sewage drain pipe.

John (Pahaska) mentioned marbles falling out--his in the couch...I had some fall out (or rather Brenda did) in the sliding pantry. Seems to be OK but I would like to put them back. Anyone know how to do this?

And finally, 8 slots down in our storage yard there is a new 31' Classic. It has a Hensley. I haven't seen his/her tow vehicle yet but suspect it is a RAV 4 or Geo Tracker

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:28 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here is the chart http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

At 57 lbs. you are about 2,270 lbs. per tire assuming you are using the ST225/75R sizing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you Sir--seems I am over-inflated a bit....thank you for the table...

I guess 45-50 lbs is about right. I hate to shake the rivets loose.

Kistler
Old 02-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Pump 'em up

We had the regional trailer tire guru from Discount Tire speak to us at our Xmas rally. His advice was to always run trailer tires at maximum pressure (65# for the D-rated tires on the Classic). he said that this is the advice from Goodyear and is consistent with his experience over the years.

On a trailer, overinflation will never wear out a tire. You will end up replacing it because of years, not miles. He said that what ultimately destroys trailer tires is heat and the best way to minimize heat is to run at full pressure.

Mine were in the high 50's when I bought the trailer. I keep them at 65 now.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
Thank you Sir--seems I am over-inflated a bit....thank you for the table...
I guess 45-50 lbs is about right. I hate to shake the rivets loose.

Kistler
The biggest reason for tire failure is overheating which is caused by underinflation. I'd opt to be on the high side than too low. Your inflation is well within the tire's inflation limits (65 lb. cold).

I run mine at 65 lbs with no adverse effects. Keep in mind that is cold pressure not hot. As long as you don't overload, the tire pressures when hot may exceed 65 lbs., but those higher pressures are within the design limits of the tire. Don't bleed air off on a hot day to get down to 65 lbs., unless the tire is cold.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-18-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
OK--Brenda is going to have to get a new tire pressure gauge for her birthday.....mine only measures to 60 lbs.

K
Old 02-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Tire Pressures

a previous thread some time ago dealt with tire pressures & what happens to the pressures & tires when towing. It just happened that the kids, for my birthday, gave me a ditigal tire gauge. When we went on vacation last Fall everytime we pulled over I checked the pressures. I was really amazed at how the pressure changed. I would start the day at 65# & the pressure would build, then in the evening at rest they would be back down to the 65#, or close. I never gave it a thought before reading about it on the forum. Lots of smart people with good advice on this site
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I think that I have "met" some of the most pleasant, well-informed/knowledgable, and honest people here; I have really profited from the experience of finding this forum. Grateful that you all share!

Kistler
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Thanks for sharing the kind words with everyone. If it wasn't for some folks helping me out, I wouldn't have my A/S either. Its so much easier than having to learn your lessons from the "school of hard knocks".

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Re: Questions about tire pressure, etc. on 25' Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
And finally, 8 slots down in our storage yard there is a new 31' Classic. It has a Hensley. I haven't seen his/her tow vehicle yet but suspect it is a RAV 4 or Geo Tracker
Surely not! That would be overkill with the HA! I suspect the tow vehicle is probably a Mini Cooper. Remember the Airstream website even shows a bicycle ...
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Kistler, my Dometic 3-way refrigerator also has a drain pipe visible from the rear access hatch. It ends just above an aluminum cup with about a 2 cup capacity. It is there to catch water from inside the refrigerator when it is defrosted. The cup can then be emptied with a sponge. As your pipe has a cap on it, it may not have the same purpose, but I can't think of any other reason for it.
As for the marbles, are these the ball bearings from the drawer sliding mechanisms? If so, our trailer has the same issue. They can be replaced, with considerable aggravation, by removing the sliding pantry, re-inserting the balls in each end of the long black plastic holders you will see, and carefully re-inserting the pantry. Two people would be a great help. Unfortunately, the problem will likely recur, and I suspect the cause is that the steel parts of the runners were forced and distorted at one time. I will aim to replace the entire assemblies, but I am currently having difficulty finding runners of the same length. Good luck. Nick
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you Nick, I took everything out of the pantry but I cannot get the thing out to expose the tracks.

It still works, so I guess I'll just save the "marbles"--actually they are like large BBs from my good old Daisy.

You are a bit far to do it but I am planning a trip to Ohio to the factory to get rebuilt in 2007. I'll probably have more dents and problems by then.....

Kistler
Old 02-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by nickcrowhurst
As your pipe has a cap on it, it may not have the same purpose, but I can't think of any other reason for it.
I've looked at this cap and it has small holes in it to allow the water to come out or possibly vent that tube.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15