Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I've been following the ST vs LT threads with great interest as I want the maximum safety margins possible. My 2014 Classic Limited 27FB (9,000 GVW) came with GYM ST 225/75R15s, Load Range D, 2540lbs @65psi. Looking up the specs for the Michelins you recommend on Tire Rack, they show a max load of 2183lbs @ 50psi. That's a definite no-go, or am I missing something? Is there a higher load range in that size/model, or would I need to go to a 16' rim to get a heavier load capacity?

Tim

(Love the username by the way)

I don't know if you've weighed your trailer loaded for camping but the 27FB Classic is definitely heavier than my 27FB Flying Cloud. While the GVW is >7K# on mine, I come in at 5800# on the scales with full FW and all my "stuff" loaded.

You probably won't come in at 9K# but could easily come in well over 7K# camp-ready. And those Michelins are P rated which means you have to derate by 10% (per DOT) leaving only 1985#/tire. That's a max of 7940# total - assuming you don't also want to follow the recommended advice of Capri here (a tire engineer) of taking another 15% off that rating for additional safety/headroom in practical use.

Personally - I'd think about either sticking with the STs you have or going up to the 16" LT Michelins which would have plenty of headroom for your rig.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I've been following the ST vs LT threads with great interest as I want the maximum safety margins possible. My 2014 Classic Limited 27FB (9,000 GVW) came with GYM ST 225/75R15s, Load Range D, 2540lbs @65psi. Looking up the specs for the Michelins you recommend on Tire Rack, they show a max load of 2183lbs @ 50psi. That's a definite no-go, or am I missing something? Is there a higher load range in that size/model, or would I need to go to a 16' rim to get a heavier load capacity?

Tim
If you want more safety you should go to a 16" tire and for maximum safety go 16" LT tire. A tire you have to derate for truck or trailer use should not be used for heavy duty applications. Its a car tire.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Thanks, guys. I don't run the Classic anywhere near the 9,000 max, usually around 7500-7800, since we are only taking it on two week vacations for the next couple of years until I retire (and then WE get to be the tourists and someone ELSE gets to be the ranger!). I also just got a '15 Ram 3500 with a 4300# load capacity so we can take a lot of the weight in the TV and keep it off the TT.

I'll start looking at the 16' rims and tires - maybe make the switch at the end of this season. I used to have a 11.4' slide in on my old Dodge 2500 and had a right front tire blow on a busy 2-lane in Louisiana which made for a white-knuckle landing. It got me looking at switching to 19.5" rims and tires on the pickup so I'd have real truck wheels and tires instead of LTs. Not so critical with the A/S, as the weight is not all on the bed, but still considering it for the TV, as a blow-out on a SRW while towing can't be fun...
Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Steve,

I figured "Adiredneck" was the best way to describe a guy from the Adirondacks now living in Mississippi - the only difference between a "redneck" and a "woodchuck" is the accent and around 1700 miles! ;-)
Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:

Tim

I gave that recommendation for Lahrfarm's 1981 31' Airstream that came with load range C tires from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote