Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
We have it on all the truck and trailer tires. When leaving for the winter, the alarm went off and showed that we had a low front tire on the truck, about two miles from home. We only had 40# in the tire but were able to add air and make it to a place that pulled the tire and rim and checked it.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I have a TST system which I purchased from a fellow Airstreamer. It was in the $250-$275 range? The system has worked flawlessly and in fact it saved us on a long stretch in NW Nevada. Jerry O'Connell was also great on after sale help in setting it up, etc. Unfortunately I've misplaced his contact info, but perhaps someone else on this thread knows how to reach him. Good luck
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Angelo , Texas
tire pressure sensors

Don't leave home without one (or two, or four) I started using a Pressure Pro system in 07. The internal sensor batteries on the first two sensors failed for the first time this year. Thats on the order of 9 years service. During their lifetime, I had one tread separation and one slow deflation while moving and in both cases I got an early alert and could pull over and got stopped before any real problem.
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We recently purchased the TireMinder 66 system with ten sensors--4 fir the new Michelins on the AS, and 6 for our Sprinter TV with duallies.

There were a number of challenges getting it all right, but they have already helped us--three times! We were having tire valve issues (long stock rubber valves distorted by bad install of hose valve extenders.)

Now, we have metal valves and properly installed extenders. But the peace of mind is great!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I do enjoy the peace of mind that comes from constantly knowing tire pressure and temperature as I travel.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We put the money towards a set of the most reliable tires we could find which were Michelins, then decided if we really needed a trailer tire monitoring system (not yet). TPMS may not warn before a blowout suddenly happens and tears up the side of the Airstream, excellent tires are a better investment.

I have a tire monitoring system. It DID NOT HELP with the blowout we had however. I just scanned the monitor and looked away, than boom there went one of the GYM tires. Tore up the side of our Airstream.
We installed Michelins all the way around and a few months later with the new tires the TMS showed a loss of pressure in one of the new tires. I would lose 5 # and that was it. I pulled into a tire shop they checked it out without taking it of and and they couldn't find the leak. So after I got home, I took the tire of, took it the local tire shop and sure enough there was a 2" long screw in it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think part of the cost differential is if the system uses valve caps to monitor or a unit inside the wheel- like cars do. I don't like the idea of the valve cap type and that's one reason I went with the Dill.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Honestly, I get more peace of mind having ditched a set of TPMS several years ago after getting a tandem axle Airstream, installing the most reliable tires we could find, and not being distracted monitoring more information on the dashboard. We still have it, I just don't care to have it in there for what it provides. Maybe I'm old school, check the tires at every fuel stop.

That's not a recommendation, it's just what we do. Maybe I'll change my mind but it's been five years.

If it's a question of spending money monitoring mediocre to poor tires or buying high quality tires, I would get good tires first.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I consider the TST purchase one of the wisest I have made. Would not hit the highway with out them. Most autos come with a tire monitor system already installed. I can see the day when they will be standard trailer equipment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Black Diamond , Washington
TST tpms

My first upgrade even before taking delivery of Scratch (another story for another time) last summer was to upgrade tires to 16 inch Michelin on Sendahl rims. Now with close to 10,000 miles towing, no issues. However, being ever the cautious one, just added the TST tpms after a lot of research. Easy installation and so far monitors fine from the TV. Off on another adventure Monday so will have time to evaluate the system. I went with the flow-thru system and my one concern is potential balance issues adding the slight additional weight to the rim. Any thoughts on this?
toothpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I consider the TST purchase one of the wisest I have made. Would not hit the highway with out them. Most autos come with a tire monitor system already installed. I can see the day when they will be standard trailer equipment.

Agree - as should an RV-ready GPS be standard in any TV candidate, but I digress 😀

We use the TST with internal sensors. I don't know when I'm going to need those replaced but we've had it for 3 years and it still works perfectly. I love having it and knowing how the tires are reacting to heat, speed and road conditions - and I know if one blows, I'm going to know about it - hopefully before there's any serious damage...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpull View Post
My first upgrade even before taking delivery of Scratch (another story for another time) last summer was to upgrade tires to 16 inch Michelin on Sendahl rims. Now with close to 10,000 miles towing, no issues. However, being ever the cautious one, just added the TST tpms after a lot of research. Easy installation and so far monitors fine from the TV. Off on another adventure Monday so will have time to evaluate the system. I went with the flow-thru system and my one concern is potential balance issues adding the slight additional weight to the rim. Any thoughts on this?
I had metal stems installed. The shop then rebalanced each tire with the sender installed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Tmps

I had a blowout on my motorhome last year and decided to buy a tire monotering system... It may be over-kill but I feel a more peace of mind knowing its there!
They say knowlage is power my 345 has two engine temp gauges, engine oil and trans temp gauge, oil pressure gauge (with low pressure light and buzzer) amp and voltage gauges, and and the mentioned tire monitoring system all 8 tires
Like I said it may seem a BIT over-kill, but picture the cockpit of plane with just a speedometer and 3 idiot lights
As for the blow out I had, it was on the outside dual, no damage to the motorhome and and was able to limp to a nearby truck stop and have the spare put on
(Afterwords I also bought a HUGE torque wrench and a 20 ton bottle jack)
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I purchased the Tire Traker one. $289. We'll see how it works out.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I bought the Tire Tracker system in late 2015. I have a few trips with the system and it has worked flawlessly.

https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT400-4
Did you need to use the signal booster they sell?
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Clermont , Florida
Thumbs up This makes it clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
There are lots of threads on this topic in the forum.

General consensus I found, succinctly put:

For single axle trailer, you will know you have a flat tire right away, due to the extreme change in driveability. A slow leak is discovered when driveability changes due to extreme loss of pressure or during a periodic tire pressure check when stopping.

On a tandem axle, the driveability may not change significantly, due to the other tire/axle, with a potential of ripping up your trailer with the flapping flat tire as you continue along unknowingly.

Greg

Thanks. As a brand new camper new to towing etc this makes the reasons clear. I have a two axel safari. Nuff said.
Millie
Djsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
There are lots of threads on this topic in the forum.

General consensus I found, succinctly put:

For single axle trailer, you will know you have a flat tire right away, due to the extreme change in driveability. A slow leak is discovered when driveability changes due to extreme loss of pressure or during a periodic tire pressure check when stopping.

On a tandem axle, the driveability may not change significantly, due to the other tire/axle, with a potential of ripping up your trailer with the flapping flat tire as you continue along unknowingly.

Greg

No matter, if the blowout occurs trailer damage is most probably already done. TPMS may or may not warn you of an impending failure. That's why folks who do extended travel upgrade to more reliable tires than the original GYM. TPMS adds some assurance. If travel and camping is locally you may not need either one.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
My experience with the GYM-15's that came on the A/S when new was not good. Many belt separations caught before damage. I don't know if a TPMS set-up would have helped??.

However, 4-5 years ago (in JC at an Alumapaloza-sp?), I bought a set of the 16" Michelins. My 2nd set of Michelins just went on last month. (Age crazing not wear.) I still monitor the tires, hubs, etc. at every stop, old habits die hard, and I would not consider returning to the GYM or any other 'ST' 15" tire. I'm am very happy with the 'LT' Michelins….There are many considerations to look into before deciding what is best for you, lots of threads & opinions here.

I'm considering a TPMS system but still haven't made up my mind yet.

IMO the investment in the tires has worked well for me. Buying a TPMS system is TBD.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
I have used the TST system for many years on both our Airstream and my 'big truck' and flatbed. It has 'saved my bacon' several times on the Airstream, and I was able to avoid a dangerous tire failure. Same thing on the semi. I highly recommend it!
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #40
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Tire Traker Signal Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Did you need to use the signal booster they sell?
For my set up, I needed to add the Tire Traker Signal Booster. I bought the hardwire version and it sits in the battery box on one of the batteries.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote