Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Problems with TST TMPS mount

I haven't seen this posted on the forum - anyone else with the TST TMPS units have problems with their mount not holding position? My suction mount would routinely get loose and begin to aim down; or even start turning side to side on it's own. As I retightened the joints over and over the plastic knobs finally just broke off!

I called TST and had to buy a replacement for $10, and it does the same thing right out of the box.

Right now my plan is to assemble a custom RAM mount but cutting the broken mounts plate off and gluing it to a RAM diamond plate.

Anyone else run into this?
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Mine holds its position but I did have one of the plastic knobs break off. I mount mine in the lower left corner of the windshield and the display is actually resting on dash. I did this after the suction cup let go a couple of times. Now it can’t startle me when it lets go. It also keeps the mount from tilting down.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
Mine holds its position but I did have one of the plastic knobs break off. I mount mine in the lower left corner of the windshield and the display is actually resting on dash. I did this after the suction cup let go a couple of times. Now it can’t startle me when it lets go. It also keeps the mount from tilting down.

I have a power hardwired coming down from my rear view mirror so I keep it mounted high next to the mirror.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Right now my plan is to assemble a custom RAM mount but cutting the broken mounts plate off and gluing it to a RAM diamond plate.

Anyone else run into this?
I didn't want a suction mount so I devised a Ram mount from the get go.
I use a Ram cupholder mount, to a medium Ram arm, to something called a 4 hole I-grip mount or a 4 hole AMPS mount, depending where you get it. It has a 1" Ram ball and a plate that looks just like the one from the suction cup.
BUT, even though the 4 hole I-grip snaps into the four holes on the back of the TST monitor (I have the color one) you can't lock it in place like it should. So I spent a few minutes with a file and trimmed the prongs down.
BTW, the ball that comes with the TST appears to be a GoPro mount, but it's not either. The screw is different and doesn't mate with any Ram or GoPro stuff.

I already have a GPS on the dash, so the cup holder seemed like a good idea. The monitor is so light, the cup holder doesn't move at all.
I-grip:
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I have a power hardwired coming down from my rear view mirror so I keep it mounted high next to the mirror.
In reading the manual, sorry, man card in jeopardy; it said not to keep the monitor plugged in. The internal battery is supposed to last 5-7 DAYS, and leaving the mini USB plugged in will overcharge the battery.
(Mine is the TST Color monitor if that matters)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote