Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida

New tire - $179
Wheel well damage - $2000 (estimated)
Dill TPMS, Trailer Aid, Spare Tire, Road Hazard Warranty - Priceless!

We hit some debris, presumably from an accident, on the exit ramp from I-75S to I-285 in NW Atlanta Sunday. After a few minutes, everything seemed OK. In about a mile, there's this loud BEEP - BEEP - BEEP we had never heard before. Looking all around the cab trying to figure out what it was. Ham radio APRS reports - no. Highway alerts on phone through radio - no. Truck system alarms - no. Happened to glance at the TPMS and saw a display frozen and reporting 39 psi. WHAT???? Exit coming up - pulled into the exit only lane, exited, and found an office building parking lot. Now showing 11 psi. Checked the tire - all in one piece. No wheel well damage.

We discovered the trailer we had just bought had no lug wrench - my bad, should have inventoried better. But I had a trailer tool kit on the truck. Loosened the lug nuts and pulled up on the trailer aid I brought, just in case. We've been carrying it for two years and never used it. Now the purchase seems justified. Pulled the tire with no issues. Dropped the spare I bought when I upgraded the wheels and tires on the 25 - pressure low. Should have checked it before the trip. Now it is mounted with the valve down. Got out the $59 Harbor Freight compressor I bought a few months ago and pumped it right up. Mounted the spare and we were ready to roll in about an hour. Then this guy shows up in the parking lot and wants to talk Airstreams - lost another half hour, but it was worth it.

Moral - Get the road hazard warranty, carry a Trailer Aid, an air compressor and a spare and you won't regret it.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
What was it Baden-Powell said? Be Prepared? Looks like you had all the right tools at hand just at the right time.

I may have actually seen you after the incident if it was this morning. I was traveling North on I-285 between I-20 and I-75 around 11:00 and passed a Southbound Airstream pulled by a white TV. Couldn't see much of it over the concrete dividers between the lanes. Just the tops of the TV and Airstream.

Safe travels.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
So glad you avoided the metal being torn up, and were able to deal with all the other issues.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote