Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Send a message via Yahoo to atvmcg
Power King STR

Has anyone any experience using this particular tire?

Planning to drive from Texas to Alaska next Spring and am looking for a good all around choice.

Thanks...
atvmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Light trailer. I think the Michelin p235x15 XL tires are the best choice. They have plenty of capacity for that trailer and ride soft. Mine (on my 25') went to Alaska and NewFoundland and the west coast twice with no trouble. I have not tried the tires you mentioned and frankly, never will.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Thanks Bill,

I put Carlisle ST225 75R15 a few years ago and they have performed well. Texas to Florida and back, two trips to Montana and back and two trips to Arizona/Nevada and back, but since then no more than a 50 mile radius for weekender trips.

ST225/75R15 Carlisle Radial Trailer Tire LR E 2,830 lb Capacity

Time to upgrade for a long trip.

I have Michelin on my Sierra and have always liked those, just wasn't sure if they were E rated trailer tire.

A.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, the Michelins I mentioned above are not E rated. They are roughly the equivalent to a C rated tire. They are a p-metric XL with a 50 lb max inflation. My trailer has steel wheels which I understand are limited to 50 psi or so and the factory tire was a C bias ply running at 40 psi. so these tires seem to fit my situation. You may have Al wheels and run at a higher pressure? I do run the E rated tires on my truck. You may feel better sticking with what you know to work. The good thing is that trailers of this size are well carried by the 15" wheel size. I think most of the tire problems come on the heavy trailers that are right at the max tire loading for any 15" tire and over the loading for any available LT tire.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .I recently installed new Carlisle tires on mine, and I too am headed for Alaska in May. Heard good things about these new generation Carlisles . Hope they turn out to be good tires. My TV has Michelins on it. Of course, in 5 years of pulling 2 different ASs with GYMs, I never had a failure or problem ! Seems like facts don't always trump opinions though, eh ? Hope to see you on the road, & regards, Craig
Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
No, the Michelins I mentioned above are not E rated. They are roughly the equivalent to a C rated tire. They are a p-metric XL with a 50 lb max inflation. My trailer has steel wheels which I understand are limited to 50 psi or so and the factory tire was a C bias ply running at 40 psi. so these tires seem to fit my situation. You may have Al wheels and run at a higher pressure? I do run the E rated tires on my truck. You may feel better sticking with what you know to work. The good thing is that trailers of this size are well carried by the 15" wheel size. I think most of the tire problems come on the heavy trailers that are right at the max tire loading for any 15" tire and over the loading for any available LT tire.
Thanks for your advice Bill.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . .I recently installed new Carlisle tires on mine, and I too am headed for Alaska in May. Heard good things about these new generation Carlisles . Hope they turn out to be good tires. My TV has Michelins on it. Of course, in 5 years of pulling 2 different ASs with GYMs, I never had a failure or problem ! Seems like facts don't always trump opinions though, eh ? Hope to see you on the road, & regards, Craig

Hi Craig,

You have a route picked out yet? I'd be up for tagging along the route. My dates are flexible. Let me know.

Anthony