Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Between the TPMS pressure reading (the lowest by about 3 lbs.) and the gauge on my compressor (the highest) and my Accugage gauge (almost as high a reading as the compressor), who knows what's right? Take an average or the lowest reading—you'll have higher pressure which is better than lower. In tire shops a lot of guys use the cheapo gauge with the stick that pops out—those never looked accurate to me—but they can stick them in their pockets like a pen.

I bought a compressor at Costco more than a year ago for about $65. Attaches to the battery and pumps quickly. Quality appears good. I don't know if they sell it anymore and the brand is a mystery one to me (partly because I forget the name).

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Friends: I bought the Warn SPC and it's a good compressor -- quiet, powerful and convenient. I can easily reach the trailer tires from the trailer battery, allowing me to adjust tire pressures when the tires are stone cold. The tire gauge included is not impressive and it's 5 pounds off from my Accu-Gage tire pressure gauge. So how do you get tire pressure gauges calibrated? Do serious tire dealers have accurate gauges to use as a standard? Best wishes, John

I also purchased the WARN SPC. I have not used it to inflate the trailer tires yet. I was surprised that the best price I found was the WARN website.

I had not thought of trying to use the trailer batteries.

I was going to use the truck batteries with jumper cables as an extension if necessary. (sort of Rube Goldberg). My trailer batteries are such a tight squeeze in the compartments, that I am sure I could not reach the negative post without pulling the battery out onto the door. . Since our trailers are the same model (different years), I am wondering how you handle that problem if your battery setup is the same.

I have a Accu-Gage EZ-air with a round digital gage. I also have a Brookstone guage with the same type of round digital guage. I am guessing that the Brookstone guage was made by Accu-gage because of their similar construction They both always agree within a fraction of a pound.

I also have a HawksHead TMPS, that all sensors are in agreement with the gauges within a fraction of a pound. HawksHead says they have very accurate equipment that they calibrate each sensor with.

Maybe I lucked out and coincidentally everything is wrong by the same amount.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
The Warn pump looks very similar to the previous generation of pumps that HarborFreight sold under part number 93186. It has since been superceded with a similar looking nmodel with similar specs.

The replacement has similar specs on special right now for $59.99 shipped:

12 Volt, 150 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

I found a comparison between the Warn and the original HF unit:

Superflow MV-50 vs Harbor Freight's 93186 "12V High Volume Compressor" test results -

The Viair product line is avalable from here:

HornBlasters Air Horn Products Catalog! Find The Perfect Train Air Horn For Your Car Or Truck!

If you call them you can often get a discount and free shipping on some items. I got a $199 Viair 444C shipped for $175.

I had the original HF 93186 on my motorhome as a fixed installation which lasted 3 years, but I was not treating it too well. It was tasked with keeping a 6.5 gallon tank at 120 psi. The thing that finally killed it was when I added train horns. You can see some posts in the Classic Motorhomes forum.

I would not hesitate to use one for keeping tires full. Can't beat the price of the HF unit.

1982 FFC with Motorhome Interior
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote