View Poll Results: poll : Do you refill your tires with pure NITROGEN ( N ) ?
YES and I'm very satisfied ! 3 10.00%
YES but I'm not satisfied at all, no avantage really ! 0 0%
NO, only "fresh" air, thank you ! 15 50.00%
WHAT, I did'nt know we can refill with pure NITROGEN 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Poll : PURE NITROGEN ( Z ) in tires

HI there;

Do you refill your tires with pure nitrogen as we can do in EUROPE ?
The avantage is that tires do'nt became hot after a long trip, and keep the tire pressure right.
The inconvenient is you have to pay $3 / tire ...

may be this nitrogen solution does'nt exist in US & CDN ?

Tell me and vote.

Bruno.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Nitrogen????

I never heard of such a thing. I've known a lot of people that have filled a lot of tires, and I know I'm not the most savvy person around, but nope...never heard of such a thing.

sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bruno:

In the US, nitrogen is used to fertilize lawns. As is French wine.

Just joshing!

Man! Just when our countries were starting to get along again...

Come Visit!!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Nashville , Tennessee
Nitrogen is standard practice in big jet tires due to temperature extremes encountered in cruise flight. Minus 40 or lower. I've never heard of it used in car or trailer tires. I wonder if 18 wheelers use it, but I have doubts
Old 11-10-2003, 06:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
I own an Automotive repair shop and the retailers are starting to PUSH this stuff they say it is a $ maker...I'll wait and see.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
In the US

Lots of farmers fill tractor tires with water for weight distribution.

Tires subjected to extreme puncture conditions are usually filled with a high density foam, eliminating flats.

Both of the above are obviously for low speed applications only.

While the Nitrogen would obviousy decrease interior rubber compound degradation (no oxygen available to attack the interior tire rubber), and eliminate interior rim rusting (again, no oxygen, and a negligable dew point), I question the economic benefit of Nitrogen for most of us on the forum.

Tires need to be changed every 5 years anyway due to external UV attack. Most of the air supplies in the US are relatively dry (not a lot of internal rim rust problems any more). Not a lot of liability exposure (as when an expert witness is asked if an airline company could have used a "better" gas than air after some driver jock drops his ride on the runway and blows all of the tires - yeah, that's a "maintenance" item, isn't it).

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Nitrogen in tires

In everyday situations, nitrogen is effectively an inert gas. The only contaminants in the hose at the gas station are 20% oxygen and water vapor. The danger for aircraft is a poorly maintained air compressor that squirts a large volume of condensed water into a tire. So they take the conservative route. If you look at the inside of an old tire, you can see that the oxygen and water have no effect on the rubber, all the degradation comes from the outside. The heating of a tire comes from the flexing of the sidewall as it rolls, so I doubt the cooler running theory.
So, if you believe in copper bracelets, magnets to cure arthritis, and homeopathic sugar pills, then by all means fill your tires with nitrogen.
Love that voodoo science.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We have used Nitrogen in race tires, the main issue is that the extreme heat build up will vaporize the moisture in the air in the tire causing steam which will cause the tire to explode or blow off the rim. These were tires being run at sustained speeds above 120 mph. As far as needing it in a TT tire or street vehicle? I don't see the point. If you have a drier or filter on your compressor it should be good enough to go. If you are worried about the rims rusting use an inner tube

Aaron
Old 11-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Nitrogen is popular with the 4x4 crowd. Reasone is a 30 inch tall tank with fill about 60 flotation tires (33-35 inches tall). Airing down to some times single digits to make a bigger foot print is common and you have to have a way to fill them back up for the road.

4x4 crowd also busts stuff regularly. I have helped change axle shafts several times out in the middle of know where. You can run air tools off the tank and speed things up.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
In aviation nitrogen is routinely used to fill oleo-pneumatic struts - solely because bottled nitrogen is dry. The theory is that any moisture will separate, freeze, and potentially damage o-rings.

I am not familiar with using nitrogen for tires (but all my experience is at the light end of aviation). I would guess it's purpose would to keep moisture out of tires, which might condense, freeze, and produce balance problems.

The theories about reduced operating temperature and internal oxidation sound like baseless marketing hype.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:11 AM   #11
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Hi there;
I see this method is'nt made currently in USA but I can tell you than, in EUROPE, there is more and more cars and trailers filled with this pure Nitrogen...

If you come on Holidays on the old continent, try to count the number of green cap on tires ( that means they are filled in Z) ; you 'll be surprised, they are numerous.

Is it a ripp-of ?; may be I don't know but if it is, we 'll know soon; Européan consumers protect associations are very hard in all domains and in the automobiles too.

For my own, I've refilled my truck and the airstream ( 8 tires)before riding to the south of FRANCE, 2500 kilometers by very hot weather this summer and no problems with pressures, tires heat and I was well loaded...

is is with the Z, why not !

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
the scientific method

Hi Bruno,
Were you wearing your favorite hat? The connection between that and the tires is the same as your filling with nitrogen.
If you want to prove this, you need to do double blind tests, where you make lots of trips to the south of France with someone else filling your tires with the two gases in a random manner. Also the tires need to be in identical condition before each trip. Not so easy, but if you can find funding for the study, let me know. You will problably need an assistant to make sure that the same wine and cheese are consumed on each trip.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
Site Team

, Minnesota
Nitrogen

Sander17: That's incorrect! The tires don't need to be in exactly the same condition for each test, you just need to randomly assign them to different wheel positions. (this may increase the number of test runs required). I think I need to be there to audit the results and the quality of the refreshments.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:24 AM   #14
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Just a question...

Hi

I 'm not master 's degree in american language but to reply to your question about my favorite hat , it's a stetson and i usualy wear it on my head, and proud to wear it because I love the way of life of the american people and respect them . I hope you do the same with us ,in asking me this kind of question.

I remember you that the goal of this thread is only to know if you use this method in USA, because we do that in EUROPE.

If you think it's a stupid method,vote NO and we can discuss gently and wonder why we do and not you ?

If you think it's a stupid question or ridiculous, don't vote and go to another thread. Thank you, bye.

Finally, may be , one day, only nitrogen 'ld be used to refill all tires;
We 've begun in EUROPE, not yet in USA... Who know ?

Bruno.

My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote