View Poll Results: poll : Do you refill your tires with pure NITROGEN ( N ) ?
YES and I'm very satisfied ! 3 10.00%
YES but I'm not satisfied at all, no avantage really ! 0 0%
NO, only "fresh" air, thank you ! 15 50.00%
WHAT, I did'nt know we can refill with pure NITROGEN 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #29
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
In the dry climate of ...

the desert, we have too many road hazards that causes holes in tires. Because of the lack of rain that washes off the roads, there is all kind of things that puncture tires here.

I have had the tires on my daily driver repaired 3 times this year from leaks. If I were to put a gas in there too. Hmmmmmmm. And radials will leak some by design. (Not as a desired effect) So what happens there? Does one have to go somwhere special to air up tires? I have 2 compressors at home. One for airing up tires and one for air tools. Both are used to add air to the tires. And I have 3 cars, 1 van, a travel trailer, and a boat trailer. Each has 4 tires and a spare.That's 24 tires and wheels. Keeping anything but air in there is beyond what I am willing to do.

There may be a better way. And the air I breathe is good enuf 4 me.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:31 AM   #30
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Carting tires filled with 16lbs in rear tires, filled with compressed atmosphere. 3 hot laps raises the pressure to 19lbs.
same tires, same track, same day, filled with nitrogen, after 3 laps: 16.5 lbs.
I wonder if the moisture and polution in the air is causing the expansion difference, if it's not the air/nitrogen itself. Because the fact is, using dry nitrogen is definitely more pressure consistent in relation to temperature than compressed air. No myth, no snake oil, just facts.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
no air - no nitorgen either !

Hi forum,

can't keep up with the jokin' - consider myself too "linguistically challenged" for that ...
Sooo, back to Bruno's q:

I (am European) and have been offered alternative filling gases for my tires - never nitrogen, though !

I have been offered a "synthetic filling gas" (no scientific name given - just a brand, which I forgot) instead of air.
Selling point was:
Stuff is designed with/from relatively large - resp. long - molecules (sp?).
The filling therefore can't "disappear" through the tire's rubber (as air can and will) - at least not as quick. You don't have to check for tire pressures anymore (once its set correctly) but once per year (done by the dealer) - obviously this gas-filling won't be of much help with changing pressure requirements, though. It can be mixed with air, but than your warranty would be void.
Yes, warranty - you buy it and they refund tires if damage is done due to low pressure (proving your claim might be annother story, I suppose).
That gas is sold by reputable dealers and companies - hence, I bought it, but only for a BMW sedan (no problems to report, yet).

For a tow vehicle / truck with widely changing load I would _not_ consider it - nor nitrogen (it does harm metal under certain, rare, circumstances, BTW).

oops - long post - sorry !

memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #32
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally posted by biggerbadbrad
I prefer to fill my tires with hydrogen. Well, until I hit that last pot hole, that is.

Are you trying to emulate the Apollo Astronauts, and go to the moon with an Airstream?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:06 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
Salt Water

Originally posted by argosy20

Okay, after reading the posts, I have this to add (or detract):
Me too!

Farm tractor tires are filled with salt water
Technically correct, but misleading. The "salt" is Calcium Chloride (CaCl), not Sodium Chloride (NaCl) as may be implied.

How do you like me now? Ya see, Bruno, we're all "plein de merde".

jthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:14 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Sure we put pure nitrogen in our tires on or race cars. We also use it to run the air wrenches at the track. But cant see a useful need to put it in trailer tires as it dont effect them enough to matter.
1976 Soveriegn 31'
F250 Turbo 7.3L Diesel
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master
1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
You guys crack me up!

But no tires for me! I just saw a show called tactical to practical, and there are now treads for our vehicles (as in tank track treads) each shaped in a triangle, that will carry our ATV Airstream Transports anywhere. They can even allow us to skim over water! Just gotta figure out how to adapt them to rear duallys.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
The treads that can be put on autos have been around for nearly 20 years now. Just that they were too costly to ever catch on.
I believe that they were developed for 4 wheelers to use in the snow.
1976 Soveriegn 31'
F250 Turbo 7.3L Diesel
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member
I work commercial avaition. We use dry nitrogen in all our tires.The military does also the reason is no moisture and no oxygen. As far as the heat in a tire with nitrogen in it gets hot just like automotive tires. I have seen tires with a cold pressure of 185psi read over 250 psi after a landing and this is normal. Nitrogen acts somewhat like regular old air. In fact when I change a tire on lets say a 757 the tires are stocked with 50psi and after its installed on the axle and inflated to 185psi the nitrogen will cool and lose 10 psi. Nitrogen in auto tires can't hurt but on the other hand I don't know if the expense out weighs the benifits?
72 Excella500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Heck, if any one wants to give it a try, I have 6000 gal's of the stuff at work, and can fill ya up for free. We even have a central vacuum pump to pull all the old wet air out before we fill them up.

If your in Illinois, drop me a line and we can give it a try.

Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote