Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you carry a spare tire for your trailer?
Never carry a spare 7 5.74%
Always Carry a spare 110 90.16%
Only carry a spare for long trips 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Poll: Do you carry a spare for your trailer?

Our new-to-us Safari didn't come with a spare and I'm not sure if it's worth the bother/expense to buy and install one. Apparently Airstreams don't come with a spare as standard equipment and our dealer suggested it's not really necessary considering it's a tandem axle trailer that can be safely towed considerable distances (at 55 MPH) on only three wheels. He's personally towed for decades and has never bothered with a spare.

So what y'all think?

Thanks in advance!
Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I do, but probably wouldn't use it with the double axle if I was close to town. If further out from a tire store I may put the spare on. Not really a yes or no answer, I know...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Definitely a "Maybe"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I do, but probably wouldn't use it with the double axle if I was close to town. If further out from a tire store I may put the spare on. Not really a yes or no answer, I know...
If you buy one, and get the hardware to mount it, it is self-defeating to remove it only for short trips. If you are going to only buy the tire, and put it inside hte trailer or tow vehicle, then it would become a question. But if you have it, take it with you, so you will never need it...
Old 12-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Mine is mounted on the tounge, but I have a single axel trailer...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
We purchased a spare for our camper as soon as we got it (mounted it under the hitch). Needed it twice this past camping season - two highway blow outs within a couple of days of each other. Both times it was passed closing time for the local tire businesses so we would have lost travel time waiting to purchase a replacement. Lesson learned for us: Don't run older tires (the tires that failed were 4 or 5 years old, and had come from the hot desert of AZ) and always have a spare.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i have a single axle trailer and am putting a spare up front in the frame, under the dinette.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/486235-post63.html

it's the same setup they install on the newer airstreams.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We tend to take longer trips than some folks. Last year we put on about 12,000 miles. We carry two spares. One on the trailer and one in the bed of the truck.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
...Apparently Airstreams don't come with a spare as standard equipment and our dealer suggested it's not really necessaary
new a/s DO NOW come with a spare tire/wheel as standard equipment....

until this recent (this year) change the spare has been an option or part of 'option packages'...

some dealers don't wanna deal with the additional expense, while others have always ordered their units WITH spares....

sure you can tow on one tire/wheel but what if both go on one side?

this happened to a member here last year, when they lost 2 on one side running over a board full of nails.

but hey don't follow my example, i carry 2 spares!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Even with a tandem axle it makes me nervous NOT to have a spare. Half of our camping is at out of the main stream places...too far away from potential tire stores. I 'temporarilly' mounted our spare under the tongue, half under the front of the coach. I want to place the spare behind the tanks eventually but I have almost forgotten the spare where it is as it is not noticed.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If you buy one, and get the hardware to mount it, it is self-defeating to remove it only for short trips. If you are going to only buy the tire, and put it inside hte trailer or tow vehicle, then it would become a question. But if you have it, take it with you, so you will never need it...
I wasn't suggesting removing the spare for a short trip.
What I meant was that if I had a flat close to town, I may just remove the flat tire and limp in on three rather than remove the spare from it's mount. Further from town I would just replace it anyway then not worry about going so slow.
I haven't had to make that decision yet so this is purely hypothetical.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
I always carry a spare, needed it last summer. To me, if you're going to pull a tire you might as well change it. I have a dedicated breaker bar with with an extention and lug socket, along with a clicker torque wrench with the same set up. I have a 20 ton bottle jack for serious stuff, and a tire ramp for quick tire changes. I changed the flat last summer in maybe 15 minutes. I've worked offshore for 35 years so I tend to be overly cautious. Whatever you do, have fun and be safe. --Mark--
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Mark, I'm with you. Carry the spare, trailer aid jack. large socket with breaker bar and a torque wrench. I'm ready and will change it if it is necessary. I won't drive on three unless I absolutely have to.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Always carry a spare

Hi, I always carry a spare tire and wheel; And I always have the tools to do the job. My trailer was ordered with the spare as an option when I placed my order. I haven't had to use any spares in years, but once again, how much is it worth when you need it and don't have one?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have 2 spares for the trailer. Neither are mounted on wheels. When I tow they are loose in my van.

I have never had a flat on the trailer. Although one year I had 2 flats in 60 miles on the van while towing. One flat on the RR and the 2nd was the spare that went flat 60 miles later. That stopped the forward movement. I was in Mexico when I had the 2nd flat about 30 miles from Rocky Point. (RP) Caught a ride to RP with my blown tires and rims. Bought 2 used tires that were almost an exact match to the other tires. When I got home I replaced all 5 tires on the van.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
If you were reading post this last year, In August I had a flat going to Pyramid Lake, CA and and Blow out on the way back home near Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.

I don't know about you, but I was NOT willing to risk running on 3 tires and taking a chance messing up one of the axles. With the flat, it just so happen to be a valve stem leak and I was able to fill it up and go most of the way, then fill up again and made it to the campsite. I was lucky where I was able to remove it and replace it with the spare.

Now, that said. Upon my return, I had an actual blow out 
Name:   tireblowout.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  48.8 KB

As I mentioned, I did not and would not risk ruining my axles running of 3 tires. I had the flat fixed as then used it as the spare. Is it worth investing in having a spare for at least piece of mind? Your Damn right it is!!

That's my $0.02 worth.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Wow, pretty lopsided poll so far....44 votes to carry a spare and one not. Of course I'm assuming a tandem axle trailer here.

There seems to be a lot of concern about towing a tandem axle trailer on three wheels potentially damaging the axle? I can see this not being desireable on rough roads or high speeds, but is it a bad thing to do on a freeway? Any experiences?

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
A spare came with our trailer (new). If it had not been equipped with one, I would have made it my first purchase, along with the tools to make the change.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I believe that if I had a tandem trailer it would be 50 50 ... as for single axle.. Dont leave home with out one! I because of storage space have to expandable tires on rims... I got the idea from my VW Touareg, It does not have a full size spare, rather it is a tire that folds into it self.. about inch bigger than the rim! So i looked into it and got two made up... They do have a speed rating (65) but can carry the trailer safely! I made two storage spaces under the trailer (yes i am one that does not like to see the spare tire)... so you can not even see that thay are even there! I have used both (at the same time) this past summer! When you deflate the tire they go back to the storage size.. NOTE: you do need to carry a little air compressor with you to inflate the tire (You should carry one any ways).
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Don't leave home without it!

That's our motto anyways...good thing too as we had lots of tire problems this last camping season!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree ,yes have a spare at the ready ,peace of mind really . I had a blowout when we first bought our 60 trdwnd single axle. Outside Wyoming ,right at the first exit going west . friday at 5:30 ,no spare, quickly scrambled to get
the flat (what was left of it )off the trailer ,unhitch the trailer get over to
big O tire in time ,they were open ,got rid of the split rim and bought two new tires and trailer wheels ,kept the other original wheel and tire for the spare till
we got back to California and bought a third wheel and tire for the spare.I
have it in the back of the Travelall in the cargo area .Have not needed it in 4 years and many miles ,but its there if and when its needed.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote