View Poll Results: Do you carry a spare tire for your trailer?
Never carry a spare 7 5.74%
Always Carry a spare 110 90.16%
Only carry a spare for long trips 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired
2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
If you were reading post this last year, In August I had a flat going to Pyramid Lake, CA and and Blow out on the way back home near Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.

I don't know about you, but I was NOT willing to risk running on 3 tires and taking a chance messing up one of the axles. With the flat, it just so happen to be a valve stem leak and I was able to fill it up and go most of the way, then fill up again and made it to the campsite. I was lucky where I was able to remove it and replace it with the spare.

Now, that said. Upon my return, I had an actual blow out 
Name:   tireblowout.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  48.8 KB

As I mentioned, I did not and would not risk ruining my axles running of 3 tires. I had the flat fixed as then used it as the spare. Is it worth investing in having a spare for at least piece of mind? Your Damn right it is!!

That's my $0.02 worth.

2007 Dodge Ram Quadcab 6.7L Diesel w/jakebrake

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Wow, pretty lopsided poll so far....44 votes to carry a spare and one not. Of course I'm assuming a tandem axle trailer here.

There seems to be a lot of concern about towing a tandem axle trailer on three wheels potentially damaging the axle? I can see this not being desireable on rough roads or high speeds, but is it a bad thing to do on a freeway? Any experiences?

Gary & Debbie
2001 Safari 25 SS
2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD Hensley DirecLink McKesh
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
A spare came with our trailer (new). If it had not been equipped with one, I would have made it my first purchase, along with the tools to make the change.
Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I believe that if I had a tandem trailer it would be 50 50 ... as for single axle.. Dont leave home with out one! I because of storage space have to expandable tires on rims... I got the idea from my VW Touareg, It does not have a full size spare, rather it is a tire that folds into it self.. about inch bigger than the rim! So i looked into it and got two made up... They do have a speed rating (65) but can carry the trailer safely! I made two storage spaces under the trailer (yes i am one that does not like to see the spare tire)... so you can not even see that thay are even there! I have used both (at the same time) this past summer! When you deflate the tire they go back to the storage size.. NOTE: you do need to carry a little air compressor with you to inflate the tire (You should carry one any ways).
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
WBCCI # 1962
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Don't leave home without it!

That's our motto anyways...good thing too as we had lots of tire problems this last camping season!
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree ,yes have a spare at the ready ,peace of mind really . I had a blowout when we first bought our 60 trdwnd single axle. Outside Wyoming ,right at the first exit going west . friday at 5:30 ,no spare, quickly scrambled to get
the flat (what was left of it )off the trailer ,unhitch the trailer get over to
big O tire in time ,they were open ,got rid of the split rim and bought two new tires and trailer wheels ,kept the other original wheel and tire for the spare till
we got back to California and bought a third wheel and tire for the spare.I
have it in the back of the Travelall in the cargo area .Have not needed it in 4 years and many miles ,but its there if and when its needed.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
A spare came with my trailer. I take it with me along with a couple of pieces of wood and a bottle jack. I do not have a mount, The spare is either on the trailer living room floor or in the back of the truck depending on what is coming along and how far the trip is. Even if I can go on three wheels I would just as soon get the tire changed ASAP if I ever have a flat. So far so good, though with enough miles my turn will probably come.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I never leave home without a spare. Granted you can drive a short distance at "slow" speeds on 3 tires, but the time you loose and how your axle/wheel weight is affected given your load isn't worth it. I've had one flat and with a block of wood to support one axle, I used my Snapon 1/2" cordless impact (400' lbs tq) to change the flat out with the spare. Time lost 20 minutes! My spare is just like another insurance policy (and much cheaper).
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #23
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
If you were reading post this last year, In August I had a flat going to Pyramid Lake, CA and and Blow out on the way back home near Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.
Rick, your post doesn't exactly say, but is the tire with the leaking valve stem the same tire that blew out, or a different tire?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I see that I am the first vote for only carry on long trips. However, I don't have a spare tire carrier yet and a long trip for me, is anything over 20 miles. A spare tire carrier is planned when I drop the belly pan and I will have a spare carrier when I replace the pan.
Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #25
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We have traveled over 17K miles in the last 2 1/2 years and have never experienced a loss of tire on our AS. Do you know why? Because we have a spare, breaker bar, tourque wrench and jack pads. Yes, we also belong to Good Sams, AARP Road Service and KOA and all that but you only get a flat when you are 100's of miles from anywhere or aren't prepared for the event. Our Safari is a duel axle but I would never travel on three tires. Doing so could be very, very costly; warped axle, tire shredding and ripping AS skin, and sway when you least expect it. We all have insurance for many things in our lives including our lives, a spare tire is a small price to pay for safety.
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Not only do I carry a spare in the back of my pickup, but I also carry a small compressor and a tire patch kit. My worst experience was down a miserable rock and dirt road about 5 hours from the nearest tire store. I flattened both tires on my single axle trailer and the spare. I managed to repair one tire to good shape, one tire had an unpatchable gash, and the last tire I got to hold air for 30 to 40 minutes at a shot with a slow leak. I drove slow and stopped about every 20 minutes to pump up the tire and bought 3 new tires when I got out.

Am I ever going to go back there? You bet!!! But I don't go unprepared.
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
How fast on three.

Originally Posted by Garfield
our dealer suggested it's not really necessary considering it's a tandem axle trailer that can be safely towed considerable distances (at 55 MPH) on only three wheels.
The owner's manual for our first Airstream said to not go over 35 mph when running on three. You are really loading the single in this situation.
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've always carried a spare tire on any trailer I've owned (pop ups through the Airstream). Interestingly enough not one of the trailers came with the spare as standard equipment. More interesting was than my 2001 Safari did not have the option of having a spare tire mount and tire, and I made a special request to Jackson Center for that at build time. My 2004 Classic came with the spare tire mount, but the wheel and tire were optional.

I've had two flats in my life...both in the same exact location although two different trailers. In one case after retrieving my trailer from its storage location after winter storage, I failed to inflate the tires to normal mode and broke the bead on the tire with the rim when backing into my driveway at home.

The last case was on my current trailer where the Marathon shed a chunk of tread, but held together until I backed into that same driveway and the unsupported belt pulled apart.

I don't ever want to be in a situation where although the tandem axle will support the loss of one tire, I'm now hunting for a tire store in some remote area on a Sunday or holiday. Not a fun situation especially knowing what kind of load that remaining tire has to carry.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote