Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
P235 75 15XL tires

Has anyone experienced any problems with the use of P235 75 15XL tires on their travel trailers. I have not read or heard of any reports other than good performance.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They work fine. Been using some for over a year. With the fat pig newer trailers you would be pushing the load limits but for trailers less than 8000 lb GVW they are fine.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
Has anyone experienced any problems with the use of P235 75 15XL tires on their travel trailers. I have not read or heard of any reports other than good performance.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
They work fine. Been using some for over a year. With the fat pig newer trailers you would be pushing the load limits but for trailers less than 8000 lb GVW they are fine.

Perry
Thanks Perry, My AS has a 6300# GVW.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
My AS has a 6300# GVW.
You should be fine. I have a friend that has a 8100# GVW Airstream, and he uses the C load range Michelins. He doesn't load it to that weight, though. The only thing we noticed was the outside edges of the tread was wearing slightly faster than the rest of the tire. we flipped the tires on the rims after more than 30,000 miles without a tire problem, and he should be able to get another 20,000 now. His tires are 5 years old, and will age out soon.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
In January 2013 I had a set of 6 Michelin LTX P235/75-15 with a 50psi rating put on my trailer, replacing 10 ply rating 80psi ST 225/75-15 trailer tires. I would not even consider going back to the 10 ply tire with 80psi. The ride was entirely too rough with the ST tires. I tried lowering the pressure to 55psi in the ST tire but the shoulders began to wear excessively. The psi rating for my trailer tires is 50psi in the specs/owners manual. Why would I want to buy a tire that is 10ply rated with a 80psi rating and beat my airstream to peaces. I have made one trip of just over 1100 miles and one shorter trip of near 200 miles and could not be better pleased. I am preparing to leave for TN, KY, WV, AL and back to MS. In all we will travel about 3000 miles and am looking forward to a good smooth ride for my airstream.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodum View Post
In January 2013 I had a set of 6 Michelin LTX P235/75-15 with a 50psi rating put on my trailer, replacing 10 ply rating 80psi ST 225/75-15 trailer tires. I would not even consider going back to the 10 ply tire with 80psi. The ride was entirely too rough with the ST tires. I tried lowering the pressure to 55psi in the ST tire but the shoulders began to wear excessively. The psi rating for my trailer tires is 50psi in the specs/owners manual. Why would I want to buy a tire that is 10ply rated with a 80psi rating and beat my airstream to pieces........
Because at 80 psi, the load carrying capacity of the ST tire was 2830#, while the P type tire is 1985#. That's operating the tire at 143% of its rated capacity.

You need to seriously rethink this.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
143% of what?

Perry
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Because at 80 psi, the load carrying capacity of the ST tire was 2830#, while the P type tire is 1985#. That's operating the tire at 143% of its rated capacity.

You need to seriously rethink this.
Based on Hodum's post I think his trailer probably came from the factory with load range "C" tires (50psi). Then someone "upgraded" to load range "E" tires (80 psi) resulting in a rough ride.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I KNOW this will start a backlash, BUT.........Please tell me how a 'P' tire knows the difference between whether it is on a vehicle or a trailer. I am assuming people are saying to de-rate the tire because of possible side loading in a tight turn. The key word here being tight. The is not a frequent occurrence. I have used 'P' tires in ALL my trailers-utility, dog transport, etc for years with no problem. Will not run anything else. It I am going to carry a extremly heavy load, I will go to an LT tire.

I await the backlash.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
I KNOW this will start a backlash, BUT.........Please tell me how a 'P' tire knows the difference between whether it is on a vehicle or a trailer. I am assuming people are saying to de-rate the tire because of possible side loading in a tight turn. The key word here being tight. The is not a frequent occurrence. I have used 'P' tires in ALL my trailers-utility, dog transport, etc for years with no problem. Will not run anything else. It I am going to carry a extremly heavy load, I will go to an LT tire.

I await the backlash.
As long as the tire is capable of carrying the load, you can do this. The reason for using the ST tire is it is supposed to be able to take the flexing better, and better able to stand long periods sitting without damage. Of course, most ST tires seem to come apart after a couple of years anyway, negating the benefits of the different compounds to let them age better.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post

I await the backlash.
Actually, and this is from what I've read about the "ST" tires, the "P" and "LT" tires should actually be UP RATED on weight when used on a trailer.

WAIT, WAIT, let me explain.....if you do some comparing, you will find there is no tire built that will have the weight rating of an "ST" tire, size for size.

So then why is this....the answer if you will actually find a tire manufacturer's rep that will tell you is, the "ST" tires are uprated on weight because of A: They are not used as drive tires (meaning they have no propulsion loads applied, and B: they are not used as steering tires and do not have those loads applied, and here's the BIGGIE C: They are speed restricted to 65 MPH because that's the max the tire manufacturers think we should be towing trailers.

Make sense? It does to me.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I replaced my Marathon tires with Michelin LTX-15s right after we bought the 2012 FC 25. I've got 10,000 miles or so on them with no trouble. I have only had to add air once in 14 months. They drifted down from 50 PSI to 48 PSI after about 10 months of use.

The first time I washed our new trailer I noticed weird bulges in all the Marathon tires. New tires with just 500 miles on them. I researched and found all the threads about tires, and for me it was an easy decision to switch. Yes, many people said the bulges were a normal part of the Marathon construction. And perhaps that is true. But, I've been buying tires for 50 years and never, ever saw a tire built that way. They seemed so mis-shapen as to be cartoonish. I can not, as an engineer, imagine that four mis-shapen tires can be a "benefit." For $700 bucks to have piece of mind is an easy decision for me. I never had blowouts on the Marathons because I only put 505 miles on them.

The first set of Michelin tires I owned was on a 1963 MGB. The year was 1965. I've owned too many sets of Michelins to count. Never had one blow out in over 50 years of driving. I guess I better knock on wood, huh?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I replaced my Marathon tires with Michelin LTX-15s right after we bought the 2012 FC 25. I've got 10,000 miles or so on them with no trouble. I have only had to add air once in 14 months. They drifted down from 50 PSI to 48 PSI after about 10 months of use.

The first time I washed our new trailer I noticed weird bulges in all the Marathon tires. New tires with just 500 miles on them. I researched and found all the threads about tires, and for me it was an easy decision to switch. Yes, many people said the bulges were a normal part of the Marathon construction. And perhaps that is true. But, I've been buying tires for 50 years and never, ever saw a tire built that way. They seemed so mis-shapen as to be cartoonish. I can not, as an engineer, imagine that four mis-shapen tires can be a "benefit." For $700 bucks to have piece of mind is an easy decision for me. I never had blowouts on the Marathons because I only put 505 miles on them.

The first set of Michelin tires I owned was on a 1963 MGB. The year was 1965. I've owned too many sets of Michelins to count. Never had one blow out in over 50 years of driving. I guess I better knock on wood, huh?
I have Michelin LTX MS/2 P235 75/15 XL on my Avion, put them on last year before a 7,000 mile trip to the southwest. The worked flawlessly. The real stunner to me was inflation pressure after storage. I stored the trailer last September and put 51# in all 6 tires. When I brought it home last month (MAY) the pressure in all 6 tires was 51#. Granted the ambient temp was higher (about 75) but I fully expected them to lose 5-10 pounds over that long a period of time. My trailer has a a dry weight of a little over 8,000 and it is a tri axle.
Ron T
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have retrofitted Michelin tires to every vehicle I have owned for over fortyfive years that came with some other brand. In all cases, the ride and handling improved. I have never had a failure of a Michelin, only flats from a nail or screw picked up on the road.

My prior experiences with ST tires on two different motorcycle trailers include substantial air pressure loss over short periods of idle time and and a never on the ground spare that delaminated the tread after two years. It just came off in chunks.

In my opinion, these ST tires are so cheaply built and to such poor specs, they barely meet the need to get the new units off the production floor. After less than a month of storage of the new Airstream, the ST tire pressures were down five pounds. The Michelins after nearly five months of storage have lost no air pressure.

What makes a tire work? Air inside! If it leaks, the tire does not work properly.

I put the 15" LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL Michelins on the 25FB Serenity with a GVW of 7,300 pounds. The tongue weight is 1,175 pounds. Loaded for a trip, the trailer axles were carrying 5,880 pounds per the CAT scales, or less than the derated load capacity of three of the Michelins. Even if the trailer was pushed to full GVW, there is way over a 1,500 pound safety factor with a softer ride for the trailer.

From the factory, Airstream installs four ST tires on the 10,000 pound GVW 31' Classic models with 5,000 pound rated axles. Two GYM ST tires have a capacity of 5,080 pounds. Where is the load safety margin there? And yes, 65 mph is the speed limit on the tire sidewall. No speed limits posted on the sidewalls of the Michelin tires.

Our ordered Classic 27FB will have, per the factory parts books, two 5,000 pound rated axles and a 9,000 pound GVW. When the trailer is unloaded from the factory transport at the dealership, the five GYMs and wheels be be removed and I will personally install five 16" LT 225/75R16E M/S2 Michelins on the recommended 16" SenDel wheels (same as on the Eddie Bauer models).

Like on my Dodge pickup, the tire pressures for the trailer will be adjusted to the load after I determine the tongue weight and weight on the wheels when loaded for use after crossing the CAT scales.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote