Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Andy- What caused the outriggers around the wheelwell of my 66 to rub thru the skin? I've seen a lot of this in my year and others nearby (64-69) Thanks John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
John',

Perhaps this was a factor:

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...ice/recall.tea

Perhaps NOT!

Regards,
Henry
Axleman- Thanks for making me aware of the axle issue...... John
Old 01-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
John,

This recall effects '04 units! Your '66 is not even close to having this concern from the factory. Not sure why it was even brought up, except to bring to your attention that sufficient lubrication is needed for your wheel bearings. And regular inspection of the bearings (and brakes) should occur too. And the responsibility is yours to make sure that does happen.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Why the switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
John,

Not sure why it was even brought up, except to bring to your attention that sufficient lubrication is needed for your wheel bearings.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action,

It was brought up because he asked about the switch to Dexter?!

See post #10.

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Johndigbydog.

The 1968 and older trailers, used a different method of how the underbelly wraps were installed, as well as a different type of aluminum.

The cause for the outriggers cutting holes through the underbelly wrap is very simple.

The running gear must be properly balanced. If not, the underbelly wrap as well as the underbelly flutters, causing numerous problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
johndigbydog

Thanks Andy But I STILL don't understand the problem---- On my unit the outrigger wear is actually thru the sidewall skin, it looks as if the skin was attached too tightly but I know that's not the case. The belly skin is above this area of wear. Secondly- How does the running gear get balanced? I plan to replace my axle in the spring with one from Inland. Thanks for any clarification you can provide. John
Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
Thanks Andy But I STILL don't understand the problem---- On my unit the outrigger wear is actually thru the sidewall skin, it looks as if the skin was attached too tightly but I know that's not the case. The belly skin is above this area of wear. Secondly- How does the running gear get balanced? I plan to replace my axle in the spring with one from Inland. Thanks for any clarification you can provide. John
John,
can you post a picture? The belly skin on your year of trailer actually wraps part way up the sides. Unbalanced or worn our running gear can cause the problem as Andy pointed out. I have also found that broken or missing outrigger bolts, rotten floors and broken outriggers can cause it too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Haven't mastered the posting yet but I will send one to your email Thanks John
Old 01-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Slots worn in belly pan by outriggers

I have seen this on many trailers. I think it is a matter of wear from lots of miles going down moderately rough roads. For a really baddly out of balance wheel situation, it might make it worse and shocks which are bad might also make it worse.

It is not a big thing except that it opens the belly pan up to water coming in from the outside. You could put an aluminum duct tape patch on it to protect from water for a while. Replacing the belly wrap, in the simple curved side areas, should be fairly easy. Make it a little bigger than the original or grind down the outriggers a bit.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
dwightdi- Thanks for the info- I will be replacing the axle in the spring (from Inland) I plan to replace the belly pan too (too far gone to salvage). The wall skin on my year is what is actually worn by the outriggers, when doing the axle, I'll grind down the outriggers, check things out under there and try to ease the tension on the wrap of the wall over the outrigger..... Also, thanks to all others that have offered help and suggestions, e-mails etc.... John
Old 01-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Could this be a part of MY problem?

johndigbydog,
I just purchased a 67 with the SAME situation on the streetside. If you get a chance, read the post I started entitled "Is my Dream a Nightmare?" (or something close to that title.) I have some pics of the outriggers poking through the skin, too.

Like you, I won't be 100% sure until I drop the belly pan, too. Others are saying we have a banana wrap or something like that. Actually, my side panels are HUGE, going from the bottom of my windows and wrapping all the way under the floor to the under belly. I wonder if installing an aluminum patch would help, or would that look too tacky? Let me know what you come up with.
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote