Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Houston , Texas
Outdated Maxxis ST Tires

I wanted to let Forum members know about the problems I am encountering with Maxis ST 8008 tire purchases. I have a 2008, 23' CCD International Airstream. The trailer has been weighed fully loaded and is well below the 6000 # max weight. I also use a tire pressure and temperature monitor system. Over the years I have had tread separation problems with Goodyear Marathon ST tires and wanted to switch to Maxxis ST 215/75R14's. Last week I purchased a 5 tire set from Discount Tire and told them I wanted new DOT dates. When I picked up the trailer, the DOT dates were nearly 2 years old. Discount said those were the newest MAXXIS tires available. I called MAXXIS and they confirmed Discount Tire's story. Maxis said they over ordered some tire sizes in 2014 and have not ordered new tires from their Taiwan manufacturer since 2014. They said they would not take back my tires once mounted and will not be ordering new tires until the old ones are sold. Additionally, the MAXXIS Tire warranty starts with the DOT date.

THIS IS A WARNING!! Anyone wishing to buy MAXXIS ST Tires may be getting
1 1/2 to 2 year old stock. Since many say that trailer tires only last 4-5 years, you certainly do not want to start with 2 year old tires. Not that factory warranties are much good anyway, but you do not want to start 2 years in the hole. I am really chapped that Maxxis takes the position it has and still sells their tires at top dollar prices when the tires are not fresh. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at Maxxis to replace my GYM tires.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Before you condemn all Maxxis tires, did you ask about age and availability of other sizes?

The other issue is whether the tires were exposed to sunlight and ozone during storage.

Regardless, I would go back to the dealer. You told him you wanted new DOT dates and you didn't get what you ordered.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I generally hate to write google reviews - simply because I don't think every merchant under the sun needs to get his/her reputation enhanced for doing decent but not outstanding work - and I know it'll be used to track MY purchasing habits and put more targeted ads under my nose.

BUT

If you write a judiciously worded (not crazy mad) critical review - and sound like a concerned person serving OTHER consumers most of the time merchants will be highly motivated to address your concerns. Ask me how much I paid for my second key and transponder on my new to me 2013 GMC Sierra Truck. (took about 5 days to resolve and had to traipse to two dealers but the NON-GMC dealer which sold me the truck paid for the second key. Saved me about $200.

Get your keyboarding fingers moving and just say that you should have been called before they mounted 2.5 year old tires - and offered other options - or at the very very least they ought to give you a substantial discount for tires that won't be safe to operate in less than another 2.5 years. (You'll probably get the discount.).

Thanks to this forum - I who never even knew about tire dates before getting my first Airstream now know better. When I sign the contract/work order, I ADD in writing above my signature that I will not accept any tires with a date more than 4 months old. (Of course I come here and refresh my date reading skills before I go to the tire store.) And do the people at the tire store(s) hate me.... I don't care... and neither do they. There are lots of rubes who will buy six year old tires and never know the difference. And if they only drive to church on Sunday they'll probably be OK.

Paula
Old 02-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by foiled again View Post
i generally hate to write google reviews - simply because i don't think every merchant under the sun needs to get his/her reputation enhanced for doing decent but not outstanding work - and i know it'll be used to track my purchasing habits and put more targeted ads under my nose.

But

if you write a judiciously worded (not crazy mad) critical review - and sound like a concerned person serving other consumers most of the time merchants will be highly motivated to address your concerns. Ask me how much i paid for my second key and transponder on my new to me 2013 gmc sierra truck. (took about 5 days to resolve and had to traipse to two dealers but the non-gmc dealer which sold me the truck paid for the second key. Saved me about $200.

Get your keyboarding fingers moving and just say that you should have been called before they mounted 2.5 year old tires - and offered other options - or at the very very least they ought to give you a substantial discount for tires that won't be safe to operate in less than another 2.5 years. (you'll probably get the discount.).

Thanks to this forum - i who never even knew about tire dates before getting my first airstream now know better. When i sign the contract/work order, i add in writing above my signature that i will not accept any tires with a date more than 4 months old. (of course i come here and refresh my date reading skills before i go to the tire store.) and do the people at the tire store(s) hate me.... I don't care... And neither do they. There are lots of rubes who will buy six year old tires and never know the difference. And if they only drive to church on sunday they'll probably be ok.

Paula
well said!
TAC FL-47
Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Have new michelins on my trailer now, no more Chinese tires here and none from Taiwan ,michelins are only 2mos old...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
While the clock is moving on new tires in storage, it moves very slowly.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

This is from The Tire Rack. I'm sure Discount tire is similar.

Quote:
Tires are stocked in Tire Rack distribution centers under favorable storage conditions. Protected from exposure to direct sunlight, moisture and hot and cold temperature extremes, our inventory leads a sheltered life compared to the tires mounted on wheels, installed on vehicles and exposed to the elements, road grime and brake dust.

Tire manufacturer's replacement tire warranties begin when the tires are purchased and typically last 4 to 6 years from that date. This allows the tire manufacturers' limited warranty to accommodate the time it takes tires to be shipped from the manufacturing plant to the warehouse or distribution center, to the retailer and to the consumer, as well as the time they spend in-service on the vehicle.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
While the clock is moving on new tires in storage, it moves very slowly.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

This is from The Tire Rack. I'm sure Discount tire is similar.
I read this on another forum & it makes a lot of sense. Properly stored & not mounted slowed the clock considerably. Good reply!
TAC FL-47
Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
GregU -
Many thanks for posting that. I have Maxi's that are due for replacement and planned to do so this spring. I've changed my plans after learning this.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I am a maxxis fan but would not buy two year old tires. I wonder if all sizes are affected? My maxxis are not Chinese made. Thanks for the heads up. My tires are from Thailand.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I am a maxxis fan but would not buy two year old tires. I wonder if all sizes are affected? My maxxis are not Chinese made. Thanks for the heads up. My tires are from Thailand.
There is a difference?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Tell that to a Thai.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Houston , Texas
Thanks to all who have responded to my post about Maxxis St 8008 tires. Here are my replies to your posts.
Maxxis said that they over ordered ST tires in early 2014 and will not be ordering new replacement tires until they sell the old ones. They did extend their factory warranty from 4 to 5 years to help account for selling the old tires. The problem is that the factory warranty is based on the DOT date and if the tires placed on your vehicle are already 18-24 months old, the prorated warranty started that long ago.
Maxxis told both me and Discount tire that they will not take back any Maxxis tire that has been mounted. To the credit of Discount Tire, they have agreed to replace the Maxxis Tires with new Carlisle ST Tires. They also replaced the Carlisle tire that failed at no cost to me.
I did not asked which other tire sizes that Maxxis sells might be outdated. Hence the warning to check before buying MAXXIS tires. Maxxis factory warehouse managers did confirm that they had a lot of 2014 vintage tires still in the warehouse due to overbuying in early 2014.
It is true that tires deteriorate less in controlled storage conditions than in sunlight but when you pay premium prices for premium tires you do not expect 2 year old tires. If you want to sell me old tires than you need to tell me you are doing so and I will decide whether or not to buy them. Thanks again for all of your comments,
Greg
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Greg -

Because you made it clear to Discount that you wanted new tires - not 2 year old - so IMHO they should've called Maxxis themselves first to find out the situation, & then called/told you first before mounting the Maxxis tires. Then they could've returned those older tires, & given you the options for different sizes of new Maxxis that would fit (if any), as well as other makes in your size(s). I've not gotten tires from Discount, but know many locally who say they basically ignore the customers & just do the tires anyway.

Since trailers aren't hooked up to an speedometer/odometer, you can run an upsized tire so long as it fits your wheel well. So Discount should've checked with Maxxis for you if say the ST225/75R14 were newer tires & would work for your trailer, as well as going to a higher Load Rating from the 215's C or D up one to D or E with no ill effect.

Also, it may be worth checking with US-DOT &/or your TX consumer affairs, because I think the law is that the warranty starts with the date of installation - not mfgr. - so that the tire makers, wholesalers & retailers won't keep & sell tires indefinitely trying to pass them off as new. If you get that info., then you may get Maxxis to give the full term under pressure, but report it anyway for the sake of others.

Greg & All -

What Greg said is that you need to check with Maxxis on the tire date for each tire size, since the plant location & dates & maybe old stock due to overbuying will vary.

I'm running Maxxis UE168 205/70R14C 102/108Q 8PR LT tires on my `88 VW Westfalia since last Feb. 2015 & they were new then (12-14 months old +/-) & made in Taiwan, as well as their 8008 ST225/75R15 since July 2012 & same deal on new age - but don't know what the current stock is dated for either of those. I'm really happy with both & have had zero problems with the Maxxis 8008's & U168s, & know many others with longer good experiences with them too, so they are good tires. BTW - I also got Nexen tires for the BMW at the same time as the Westy & checked those as new <+/-12 months.

I too have read about aging being less in properly warehouse stored tires - vs. once they've been mounted & in use in the elements - & talked to tire pros about it who confirm same. So the age factor is probably okay on 1-2 years in the warehouse, but I too would want something 12 months or less!

However, at some point they cannot continue to sell older tires without informing the potential buyers in advance, as you'll see on some tires listings on Tire Rack, etc., nor to penalize the buyer for the mfgr's. or retailer's over-ordering mistake by starting the warranty at the DOT date - & not the sale date!

However, I find their position on the warranty disconcerting, as well as them trying to sell tires which soon will be a bit older. I will certainly verify before I get any new tires from Maxxis, but then my SOP is to check on any & all tires for all of my vehicles.

So IMHO - always check the dates of tires on any & all of your vehicles, & feel free to refuse to accept older stock tires, & take your business elsewhere if need be!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
There is a difference?
"Iceberg, Goldberg, what's the difference?"
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Thanks Greg!

Yesterday I ordered a set of Maxxis 225/75R 15 8 ply from Discount Tire asking if they could find out age of tire before ordering. They said the warehouse guy said they would not know date in advance. I told Discount not to mount tires older than 6 months and he assured me Discount does not sell old tires. Today he called to report the tires have a 2014 date so he is trying to find an alternate source.

I doubt he will find newer Maxxis tires but appreciate his efforts. Not sure what I will do now.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Were these the 8008 ST tires or the LT tires they also sell.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
8008 ST tires
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
There is a difference?
Old joke from an old Navy Seal. During Vietnam I worked on the railroad in Thailand.

Laying Thais

------
Old 02-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
One Chinese tire to another ,it never ends, good luck with them , my michelins are doing good....