Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

What brand name of LT tire did you by in 15 inch?

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
Hi all,

We had our first blowout this weekend. I've been waiting for this dreadful moment and it finally happened. With our Airstream manual in hand, we got the spare on successfully. We had noticed one of our other tires looks a little warped so we are thinking it may be time for new tires on the whole trailer. We have a 2008 International CCD 23'. A campground host in the campground recommend a local tire place and we may check it out. Just curious what kind of prices I should expect to replace all of the tires. Any thoughts? We currently have Goodyear and I assume they are the tires that were initially installed on the Airstream (we bought the trailer used last year) so this our first trailer tire purchase. Should we stick with the same kind of tires we have or is another brand preferred?

Another 'streamer' in Blacksburg! Small world. PM us somethime for a chat.

Dick & Annie

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
There are mega threads out there on tires, a lot of good information and unfortunately a lot missinformaton, rumors and paranoia. Andy's question about why the tire blew is a good one. Tires do not blow out with out a reason. It could be a manufacturing defect or a bad valve stem or a bruise from a pothole or a lot of things including low tire pressure or bad loading on the tire overstressing it.

Some definitions. LT stands for LIGHT TRUCK, ST stands for SPECIAL TRAILER. The overall quality built into the tire has nothing to do with this designation. LT tires are rated to sustained speeds of up to 90 mph. ST tires are rated for sustained speeds of up to 65 mph. Sustained means one half hour at full rated load, max inflation pressure. The load capacity is rated by letter also B, C, D, E, F. Each load rating is followed by a max weight carrying capacity and maximum cold tire pressure for that tire. The higher the tire pressure the more it can carry. Look at your tires, check the weight of your rig, do the math and run tires that exceed the max GVW of your rig with a safety margin. Inflate them to the correct pressure cold which means they either have not been run at all or run less than 4 miles at low speed on a cool day. Run rims that will handle the inflation pressures of your tires. Automobile rims and older trailer rims that were run at lower pressures cannot handle the the 80 psi max inflation pressure of an E rated tire. Rubber valve stems will not support an E rated pressure either. Load your rig properly, make sure that it runs level if it is not level either the front or the rear tires are carrying more weight than they should also they are flexing a great deal more because of weight transfer under acceleration and braking which creates heat. Trailer tires have stiffer treads and sidewalls to create less heat from flex. Light Truck tires give a nicer ride. Both will handle a trailer if their weight carrying capacity is not exceed and they are properly inflated.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Yokohama and Toyo both make a 700x15 tire that are very good. We have Yokoham's.

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by oxblood View Post
Goodyear Marathons are crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 2003 A/S Classic 34' and it came equipped with this tire. Had 2 blowouts in NM and TX in the heat on the same trip.
How old was your tires at the time of the blowouts? Trailer tires have a history of lasting no more than 5-7 years from date of manufacture (tires). I have a 2006 and had my first blowout on our last camping trip and nearly 30,000 miles on the Marathons that came on our trailer.

Originally Posted by oxblood View Post
Lots of damage to the RV wheel wells. Bought new tires and was vigilant about speed, and proper inflation of these D-rated tires.
I drive mostly on interstates and at interstate speeds and keep an eye on the temperature of the tires using an infrared thermometer and my tires are always approximately 20 degrees F cooler than the rear tires on my tow vehicle. I also always check tire pressure before leaving on each leg of a trip and keep them at 65 PSI. This is particularly important if you travel at "normal" speeds. When I had my blowout there was no damage to the wheel well or any of the panels.

I'm not saying your situation was different than mine, only that there may have been different circumstances than I had.

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote