Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
On the horns of a tire dilemma..

Hello all!
Looking for some help with a tire choice. 1971 Globetrotter 21', single axle, 4500# rating. Currently running new, made in USA Goodyear Marathons, ST225-75R15, Load range D at 65PSI.
Trailer wet weight overall, 4480# Didn't get tongue weight, (too many semis waiting behind me at CAT scale!) Maybe 2000# per tire.
Guessing 450# tongue, give or take.
Now, the question: Michelin P235-75R15XL, (2186 #@50PSI), or Dunlop Rover HT, LT225-75R16 (2335# @65PSI
Looking for best compromise between load carrying and soft ride.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I'm stuck!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Why not stay with what you have? Load range D Marathons - I have the same tires, and think they are fine. Trailer tires are engineered for one application - trailers.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Tire dilemna

Thanks for the quick response!

I've heard and read of so many horror stories regarding Goodyear Marathons, that I'm worried about tire failure down here in the Hot Zone (Phoenix area)
The potential damage that could result causes me to seek alternative tires.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Good Year Marathons in general have a very poor reputation. Check the various tire and wheel forums on RV websites. I had a brand new trailer with one Goodyear Marathon with a huge side bubble on the inside tire wall. Michelin tires especially the XPS Rib tire are very good but come only for 16 rims.
billdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you have USA made Marathons; I would check the DOT date code to see how old they are. Most people complained about the Chinese Marathons. Eventually all of my Canadian Marathons had to be replaced, and so far, my Chinese Marathons are doing fine.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Links to suggested reading on tires:

* Summary of tires most people are switching to, if they do not continue to use Goodyear Marathons: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1170745

* Airstream Tire Failure Poll -- Info on reported tire failures: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html

* Discussion thread on switching to 16-inch wheels and LT tires: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...res-69297.html
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have 3500 miles on my Chinese GYMs and so far so good. Of course I keep a close eye on pressures, temps and my speed. I take all internet polls and complaints with a grain of salt as they represent a miniscule number of users and are far from being statistically accurate.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Go with the Dunlop LTs.

The P-metric Michelins would be fine, but the LTs will have probably have a stiffer sidewall and a bit better stability.

Even with the LTs, you're getting fairly close to the maximum load of the tire. I wouldn't be overly concerned, however. STs are actually "overrrated" for their size based on the assumption that they won't be doing any drive or steering duty.

I'm running Yokohama Geolander H/T LTs, and we're very happy with them. I would not go back to an ST tire for a travel trailer, only for equipment and utility trailers that rarely carry a full load, and then only for relatively short distances.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Go with the Michelins. XL tires are a little over 2100 lbs load rating in 15" size. It is close but enough for your trailer. You have more load range margin if you switch to 16" wheels and LT tires.
Hot weather and GYM's=blowouts. You post a Cave Creek address. Daily temps are over 100. Look at the scores of threads on this forum and read about ST tire failures in hot weather after long freeway drives. ST tires are not designed to run at freeway speeds in very hot weather as scores of hot weather posters have noted.
I changed to the Michelins from ST tires on my tandom axle 25 Safari. Ride is much smoother and I know longer have the apprehension of tire changes by the side of the road in 100+temps.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Sorry, I missed the fact that the Dunlops were 16" tires. That creates another set of challenges!

Can you find an LT tire in the 225 or 235/75/size?

Another option - I know Toyo still makes a 7.00x15, which is the original size for these trailers. I priced them out last year, but they were more expensive.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
tire Dilemna

Thanks, guys for all the input!

I'm convinced I need to get away from the Marathons. 16" tires are a viable option, but I'm wondering if the 65PSI ride stiffness is outweighed by the slightly higher load carrying capacity of the 16" LT tire, versus the slightly lower load carrying capacity of the 15 " tire with a softer, 50PSI ride.

There doesn't seem to be anything available in 15" LT, hence the Michelin 15" XL tire.
Just want to do it right this time, after mistakenly (IMO) buying the Marathons.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Tire Dilemna

ROBERTSUNRUS, your suggestion to check the DOT code led me to discover that these tires, bought in early June of this year at Wallyworld in Prescott, AZ appear to have been manufactured in May of 2009!!!!

Thanks for the tip, I shoulda checked this at time of purchase, DUHH, but was in a hurry (haste makes waste!) to get these mounted and get the trailer home. These were put on at time of purchase in order to get the tailer home safely, since the tires that were on it were cracked and unsafe.

Live and learn!

Thanks again, I'm going to see Wallyworld about some sort of accomodation!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have just purchased a 2001 AS and it has GYM's on it. I've read the many threads here and am aware of some of the issues. My former trailer had Maxxis tires on it and I was very happy with them. I would buy them again when the time comes. I will also consider some alternatives when the time comes too. So, for the time being I'm stuck with what I have and will live with them. They are only a year old. On the Maxxis we have put close to 25k miles on them over the 4 years we owned the trailer and have had no issues. I do monitor inflation pressure and temps. So, I will see how the GYM's handle and survive the travels we do for now. I will also check their codes for manuf. dates and country and see just what I have to contend with. So, we'll see.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer View Post
Thanks, guys for all the input!

There doesn't seem to be anything available in 15" LT, hence the Michelin 15" XL tire.
Thanks again for the help!

Snakecharmer,

Have you looked at either the Continental Vanco 2 or the Goodyear Cargo G26 tires, both available as 225/70R15, meaning your AS will ride just under 1/2" lower, if that matters. They're listed as summer ribs, which may be ideal down your way, and reflect a load capacity of 2470# at 65psi. I don't own them, but I'm looking at them.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Tire Dilemna

Kamiak, have not looked at those two, but I will. Ride height reduction not really an issue, more concerned about a good ride and weight carrying capacity. Thanks

Polaryse, I wish I could wait and see how the Marathons hold up, but I'm afraid that a catastrophic failure could cost way more in damage than a new set of upgraded tires and wheels.

Thanks again for your input, guys!