Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Okay, said a different way . . .

What do people do about replacing their tires? i can order GYMs from either Discount Tire or Sams or local tire guy but I have some concerns about folks jacking up the Airstream to install tires? Not sure that any of the three options have any travel trailer experience, let alone AS. Talked to AS service department near here and they call in a mobile tire installation outfit when someone needs tires... which sounds expensive to me. Looks like my options are really limited to either GYM or Carlisles because of the 14 inch wheels on the Safari.

Right now Im thinking about ramping the AS, removing one tire at a time and taking it to be mounted and balanced until I have them all exchanges... seems like a PITA but I guess its the price i pay for this aluminum fever
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I just jacked my trailer up, took off 4 wheels, had new tires mounted up, put the wheels back on, and lowered the jacks. Actually while I had the wheels off, I packed the wheel bearings, installed new grease seals, and set up the brakes. Oh, and cut the glaze off the drums. I tested the magnets, and spun tested the brakes on each wheel.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I just jacked my trailer up, took off 4 wheels, had new tires mounted up, put the wheels back on, and lowered the jacks. Actually while I had the wheels off, I packed the wheel bearings, installed new grease seals, and set up the brakes. Oh, and cut the glaze off the drums. I tested the magnets, and spun tested the brakes on each wheel.
Yup... I do the same as you..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Tires are kind of a "third rail" subject here. If you did a search on the subject you will discover that any brand of tire, inflated to any psi on a any kind of rim is certain to result in your fiery death.

My personal opinion is that Carlisles are terrible beyond description. Jury is still out on my GYM's.

When I do tires, I use ramps and do one axle at a time -- takes two trips to the tire store but is simple and pretty safe.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks

Yes, I know. I've read hour after hour reading the tire posts and threads....

I think your plan is the one that I will end up with Mike. Thanks for the affirmation.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I tow the 31' AS to the tire dealer (I've used NTB & Discount), ramp one axle and let the tire guys R&R the wheel/tire; then ramp the other axle for the same. I carry a 6 ton bottle jack which I could just as easily/quickly place between the axles on the mounting plate to jack one side, but haven't done that yet except at home.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Neither my closest NTB or Discount have a parking lot big enough for me to put both the Tundra and Thumper, so i built my two ramps out of sandwiched pressure treated 2x10's last night and will ramp one axle at a time at the house and use the DW's car to transport the tires/wheels back and forth. fortunately its only a mile or so, so it ought to go fairly quickly