Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #141
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Ah come now Steve, you knew that answer was coming!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A tire can blow from damage that happened tens of thousands of miles earlier, something that you may have forgotten a long time ago on never even noticed in the first place.

A near puncture, a stone bruise, an encounter with a curb etc. You get a small break and the break in the belt opens over time.

I am sure that there are some built in failures of tires, I am also sure that tire manufacturers pay for lots more tires that were damaged in the warrantee period than out and out defects.

I also believe that running some tires at max inflation increases the chance of damage, but I run most of mine at max inflation anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Ah come now Steve, you knew that answer was coming!
Well, of course, and that's because I've heard it many times before. I've learned that whatever happens with a tire, the manufacturer and retailer figure out a way to lay blame on the vehicle operator. I've also figured out that in most cases the tire "experts", even when presented with the tire dead carcass, don't really know what happened, they only suspect.

OK, enough of beating this dead horse, er...tire, I'm out of here.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just curious. Is the tri axle trailer stored under roof or with tire covers? How hot are the summer temps?

Being based in Phoenix area with high summer heat but stored under a large roof with tire covers, I am hoping for three year life due to the elements versus actual miles on the tires.

The last three days in Phoenix with temps over 110 degrees, the number of vehicles besides the road with flats as well as the number of road alligators has been a marked increase in numbers.

Seems the environment is also a major player in the tire story.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
OK, Any LT tire failures to report?

A tire is a compromise.

A stiff tire will ride poorly.

A soft tire can make a vehicle squirrely.

A soft tread will grip the road well but wear quickly.

A hard tread will wear slower but can be slick.

A thick tread will wear better but a thick tread is subject to lots more centrifugal force...

Price is a compromise. I think tire manufactures could make a much better tire, but who is willing to pay $1200 for a tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #146
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
To stray off a bit, I would like to relate my latest experience with Discount Tire.

While driving the truck, but not towing the trailer, I ran over something the other day. I heard and felt it, but did not see it. After about a mile more driving, I heard weird noises, so I pulled over and found the left rear tire totally flat. I found it had a deep cut in it about three inches long.

The truck had Michelin AT2 tires on it that are about six years old. Because of their age and the fact the I've have always felt buying the AT2s was a mistake, I decided to replace all five of them with MS2s. I never really had any need for the more aggressive tread of the AT2, they were noisy, and I have always felt they adversely affected handling.

After thoroughly researching internet prices, I headed off to my local Discount Tire prepared to present the evidence of the lower prices to get them to match them.

First thing that happened was they checked the tire and agreed it was not repairable. Upon checking their computer he found I had bought the 8 dollar road hazard insurance when I bought those tires. So he told me that tire would be replaced for free. When I asked him what the price for the MS2s would be, he quoted me the same price as my lowest reputable online quote. In addition Michelin was having one of their 75 dollar rebate deals. So as well as their usual great service, I got 5 tires for the price of 4 minus 75 dollars. I left again convinced that is where I want to keep going for my tire needs.

It's too bad my truck has 17 inch wheels and the trailer 16. Otherwise I would now only need one spare.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #147
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
I couldn't agree more about Discount Tire. I also note (since I try to arrive at my local store just as they open) that they have a daily staff meeting just before opening. Everyone there is always ready to go right out of the gate.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Take in loose wheels and tell them they came off an old 4x4 Suburban. I have had issues with Sam's club as well. I really get irritated when a 20 yr old kid tries to tell a 50 year old engineer what tires I should be using.

Perry
there is a reason a 20 yr old kid is working at sams club.. he did not make the grade at engineer school. they do not know how or are afraid of thinking out side the box thanks to guy like john edwards, who make a blue billion dollars suing poeple for stuff like putting LT tires on trailers that are supposed to have ST tires, never mind the fact the ST tires are CRAP, so that make companies less inclined to think out side the box..

best suggestion.. like you mentioned, take them in 2 at a time and say they are off older suburban 4x4 and get your LT tires on.. takes a bit more time but less hassle in the long run..

but it do understand your frustration with them for sure..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A person doesn't need to be an engineer to be able to see that LT tires are better than trailer tires.

I have intentionally run LT tires on trailers for over two decades.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #150
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
A person doesn't need to be an engineer to be able to see that LT tires are better than trailer tires.

I have intentionally run LT tires on trailers for over two decades.
But I would contend that it helps if you are an engineer to understand that the difference is not because of the letters ST and LT.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #151
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I have often wondered if the Firestone 500 and ST tires were designed by the same guy.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
"An engineer" is rather broad, for your statement to really hold water, it would need to state "a tire engineer",

Otherwise it is pretty much a case of self education and observation not unlike those of us who are not engineers.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly, I think one of the biggest design goals of trailer tires is tread that wears out quickly. Oh wait, that sounds conspiratorial!!!! Oh wait, some manufactures actually admit this. They say it is "for our own good" so tires don't get old before they wear out....

Who make this silly move, management or engineers?

That might kinda be a trick question with a couple of twists, no matter what answer is provided.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I converted our 2013 25FB in it's storage unit from the factory GYM explodathons to the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires, I jacked up one side of the trailer and swapped a tire for the spare (it comes on a steel wheel) and then took off the second wheel. Took both into CostCo and did the swap. Returned and installed the new tires and went to the other side and repeated the process, The spare went in by itself.

The trailer was ten miles away from their property. I have purchased Michelins from this tire store manager for over 12 years on many different vehicles. He is glad for the business.

Before the 2014 Classic arrived, I ordered five Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires just before the recall was announced and absorbed all inventory. I took the new SenDel wheels (four aluminum and one steel) along with the Dill TPMS components to him and they installed and balanced the tires on them.

Make sure the installer labels each tire with the internal TPMS sender code!

They had to break my five tires down to label each tire with the Dill sender letter that was installed so the display worked properly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I've seen very few trailer tires with the tread worn out. Usually they fail much before that happens.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
OK, Any LT tire failures to report?

Excerpt from Discount tire website,

"Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles."

It seems as if a trailer tire can only be engineered to last 5K to 12K....

Well isn't that special? Maybe the intent is not so much to design a good tire for trailers.....

Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I understand, but trailer tires fail well before that mileage in my opinion, either from age or poor construction. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Could be,,, maybe by design?

I know well that most LT tires will run til the tread wears out, forty thousand or more miles, sometimes twice this.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Could be,,, maybe by design?

I know well that most LT tires will run til the tread wears out, forty thousand or more miles, sometimes twice this.
I agree. ST = engineered or planned obsolescence.
They( tire manufacturers) could make it last, if they wanted it to. Might be expensive, but could be done. $100 today isn't like $100 in 1980 and no where near 1970.
just saying,

Have a good one,
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It's time to drop all the superstitions and get down to scientific facts:

Never buy a tire from a manufacturer that has to include the word "good" in their name. It is blatantly obvious that they are trying to cover up feelings of low self esteem due to lack of faith in the quality of their product.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote